+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

the store option is useless to me because i'm semi-mobility challenged and avoid stores where i have to stand in line or at a counter to be processed. so netflex was perfect for me.

Having used both, I can tell you that I liked Netflix's interface a LOT better. And now with their on-line viewing, it comes close to matching the incentive for BB (where you can return in-store).

If you don't have a BB near you, I personally would stick to Netflix as long as the shipping's a good turnaround.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

just about every movie i've rented has had a 2-day turnaround. i'll drop a movie in the mailbox on the way to work on monday, get an email on tuesday that they received it, and another email that they're sending the next one, and i'll get it on wednesday.

i've only had a couple of times where a disc was unplayable and when i reported it on their site, they sent out the replacement before they got the defective one back from me. i've had two discs turn up missing, but they also replaced those right away ... and the originals showed up in their warehouse a couple of weeks later.

I love it. We have a distribution center one hour from us so our turn around is crazy. I drop it in the mail one day, they get it the next and I have my new movie on the 3rd day. Love that.

However, lately I've been getting a rather large number of defective discs. I got one that was broken in half. They are really good about replacing it though. They sent me out the replacement before I even remembered to actually mail off the broken one.

FORT Fogey

I HATE IT.

I've gone through the time-consuming process of attempting to register with them online only to discover that they tell me that my credit card doesn't have a valid address with it and they want to get another one from me.

Nobody else with whom I've done business have ever come back and told me that the billing address isn't correct, so I've refused to give them any of my other credit card info.

At first I thought it was just me but then two coworkers informed me that their very good credit cards couldn't be processed, either, for the same "invalid billing address" excuse.

I gave up on Netflix because if they can't handle my credit card at this early point in the relationship how badly will they mess it up down the road?

I just either buy DVDs (usually for full seasons of television shows) or borrow them from the library.

I thought there was a more recent Netflix thread, but I'm not finding it so I'm resorting to resurrecting this one. Up to this point I have LOVED my netflix. However, this bit of news today is irking me:
    If you're hoping to rent a copy of "Avatar" through Netflix when the hit movie comes to DVD this month, keep waiting.

Netflix has signed deals with Universal Studios and 20th Century Fox that will delay the arrival of new releases by 28 days. The mail-order rental service already has a similar agreement with Warner Bros.

"Avatar," will be the first new DVD release from 20th Century Fox affected by the deal. The DVD is due on April 22, but won't arrive on Netflix until May 20. Universal's deal will kick off with "It's Complicated," which will arrive on May 25 instead of April 27.

On the bright side, the deal will boost Netflix's catalog of streaming online video, which is free to subscribers. Notably, Fox will bring several TV shows to the streaming service, including all but the current seasons of "24" and "Lie to Me," and the entire series of "Arrested Development" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." The agreement with Universal brings such films as "Gosford Park," "Being John Malkovich" and "Do the Right Thing."

Movie studios are interested in deals like this as they try to protect DVD sales and video on-demand purchases. However, Blockbuster has agreements with Warner, Universal and Fox to get movie rentals on the day of DVD release, even for its mail-order and online services. Universal and Fox were given first lien on Blockbuster's 459 stores in Canada in exchange, The Wall Street Journal reports. Next time you see Blockbuster touting how its the only place to get new releases, as it has with Warners' "Sherlock Holmes," deals like these are the reason why.
    I'm annoyed. Why is Netflix agreeing to this when Blockbuster is still going to get DVD releases on the initial day of release? It seems like that will encourage their customers to jump ship and go to Blockbuster. I don't care for Blockbuster in general, but I will at least be giving it some thought. Boosting their streaming catalog is nice and all, but I don't think I have streamed a single movie from them since they started offering it. My son has used it some, but he could certainly live without it.

I have to admit I hadn't noticed that they already had this in place with WB. However, I'm certainly going to start noticing now. Maybe my ignorance was bliss in this case, however short-lived it was.

SOURCE: Netflix Delays Universal and Fox New Releases, including Avatar - PCWorld
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 04-22-2010 at 04:48 PM.

There have been a number of recent movies that you couldn't get through Netflix on the release date, including The Blind Side, which just became available this past Tuesday and Sherlock Holmes, which is available next Tuesday. I think part of it has to do with bolstering DVD sales, but I don't think it will work. I don't mind waiting a month and, if I really wanted it faster, I'd get it from Redbox or somewhere else.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3883871;
    There have been a number of recent movies that you couldn't get through Netflix on the release date, including The Blind Side, which just became available this past Tuesday and Sherlock Holmes, which is available next Tuesday. I think part of it has to do with bolstering DVD sales, but I don't think it will work. I don't mind waiting a month and, if I really wanted it faster, I'd get it from Redbox or somewhere else.
    That is too funny. I actually did run into this and didn't realize it. I added The Blind Side to my queue ages ago and I remember seeing ads for it on DVD and thinking "huh, Netflix says that's not out until late April?" but I didn't stop long enough to actually get the clue that it was because Netflix delayed the release!! I'm such a dork sometimes!

I have to agree that it won't bolster DVD sales. If I am going to buy a movie I usually don't even bother adding it to my Netflix queue and if I don't want to buy it I'm certainly not going to change my mind just so I can watch it 28 days earlier. If I was absolutely dying to see a film there are plenty of rental alternatives. Seeing movies right away has not seemed like such a big deal since I switched to Netflix anyway.

I am also thinking that this change may mean that when these delayed films come out through Netflix we may be able to get them faster because the people who HAD to see it right away will have already resorted to other rental options. I was surprised to find out I was getting The Blind Side this week because I sent my discs back a day late. However, it appears that it was available anyway - that usually NEVER happens with new releases.

If I really want something on the day it releases, say on Tuesday, I'll send back a DVD on Saturday. That way, the new release will be mailed out Monday to be in my mailbox on Tuesday. If I do this, I always get the title.

ITA - I bet this will cause the "new" (delayed) releases to be available more quickly since the people who really want to see them will get them from another rental source. It's kind of a bone-headed move on the part of Netflix, imo.

I do like the part in the article above about all the seasons of Buffy becoming available on Netflix streaming! They did that with Firefly recently too. The more streaming content, the better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3884717;
    The more streaming content, the better.
    That's really why I re-joined recently after a five year lapse. I don't use Netflix for new releases at all. I use it more for things that just aren't released in my area--especially documentaries or indie films. If it's a "must see" wide release, I'm going to hit the theater, even if it's the cheap $5 Sunday morning matinee.

+ Reply to Thread