+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    We've only been in it for a month or so (too bad I missed the free month John!). I too, live near a DC so I have mailed a return from my own mailbox (which they pick up at about 3:00) and by 10:00 a.m. the next day I have an email saying it has been received and I get one within the next day or 2.

I find I'm watching more movies than I ever have because it's so easy and I can be lazy about returning them. I just wish I would have joined when I was pregnant and spending lots of time resting.

After the few movies I really want to see, I'm getting Homicide:Life on the Streets to watch. I miss that show.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I also like the idea (but haven't used it) of being able to set a friend or family member up with their own account and a queue of their own. You can select how many movies in your grouping to designate to them, and they just go on their merry way with them.

i use that feature and it works great. when i first signed up, i had my daughter tell me what movies she wanted me to add to the list, and sometimes it would take her longer to watch it than it would take me to watch mine, so i added her to the account with her own queue. so now i just rent the ones i want to rent and i don't worry about hers. her movies even come addressed to her so we know whose is whose when they arrive.

The newer thing I enjoy is the "Friends" feature that connects you and any other Netflix subscribers you know by allowing you to make recommendations and peek at each others' queues. I only do this with my close friends, because I don't know that I want everyone to see what I've got in my queue. I think people might get the impression that I'm bonkers based on some of what's in there (not that you wouldn't already come to this conclusion on your own ).
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Ok, Stargazer, I made the jump from Netflix to Blockbuster.

Pros:

1) It's $2 cheaper a month ($17.99 versus $19.99) for 3 movies at a time.
    2) I'm temporarily in Columbus, and Netflix was taking 2 days each way - Blockbuster is only 1 day each way here.
    3) When you're done watching a movie, instead of mailing it back, take it back to the store (3 blocks from me) and get a FREE movie in-store, while you wait for your next one. Basically, you can double up on your movie-watching experience, for no extra charge at all. THIS is the biggest reason I switched.
    4) Get an e-mail coupon for a free in-store rental (game or movie) per month.

For the price, you can't beat the advantages.

Now, my problem recently is there's nothing good to watch. My queue is down to like 3 movies, and those have all been out for a while that I just want to catch up with. The new releases suck.

BUT, I've been converting people - if they happen to live near a Blockbuster store, it can't be beat.

If you don't mind waiting a while to see a movie, I recommend On Demand through your cable service. I just got it and so far I've seen about 5 movies I never got around to renting. The first three months is a $9.99 special and then it's an additional $14 a month on top of my regular cable.

And I get the National Geographic channel which is well worth it just to watch The Dog Whisperer. I also get several music (not video) channels if I just want something to listen to while doing other stuff. And if you really want to see a new release, you can download it for $3.99 and have 24 hours to watch it. It also lets me watch CBS shows (too bad the other major networks aren't on it) so I no longer have to tape CSI, I can just watch it On Demand.

I have mine set up so I can tape something if I want to. And you can watch dozens of movies for free, some are fairly recent (well, from 2006). Another cool thing is it has movie trailers for upcoming theatrical releases. I've seen the Harry Potter trailer as well as quite a few others. It gives me a good idea of what I might want to go pay money to see at the theater.

So, if like me you don't need to see something as soon as it comes out, this might be another option to check into. And always ask if they have a special . Another reason I prefer it is there isn't a video store nearby so I have to make a special trip and I hate returning them. I don't think I'd get the value out of Netflix or Blockbuster because I don't normally rent $18 worth a movies a month. I can justify the digital cable because it offers me a lot more channels in addition to my basic cable.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

We use Blockbuster.com, and while I never had Netflix, the in-store component makes Blockbuster a lot better, to me. You can get unlimited movies for, what, $10 a month? That's the price of just two if you paid for them alone. So we figure if we watch three a month, we saved money, and we usually watch at least one a week, although yes, there is trouble in finding enough things to watch to fill up the queue. The boyfriend and I have different ideas as to what constitutes an interesting movie.

But John, let me know if you start having problems with the speed of delivery at the end of the month -- we've not received a couple of movies at the end of a month, and were wondering if that's a widespread problem.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just signed up for the free trial at Blockbuster.com. It could take forever to pick movies to add to the queue, though. We're so behind on seeing movies that the oldies will be new to us.

I have two Blockbusters within 1.75 miles from my house. With the coupon for a free one with the return of the online one, I don't know how I could beat that deal.

I switched from NetFlix to Blockbuster because of the in-store returns... Netflix was good but I caught myself letting them lay around before I mailed them out and when I pass by at least 2 Blockbusters on my way to work each day it was a "no brainer".

Tell me if you like it, SV. I think you will.

I'm a sucker for movies. I have digital cable, with Showtime and HBO, OnDemand, and Blockbuster Online. The Blockbuster people already know me by name, since I'm in there almost every day. I just take my movies back on the way home from work, grab something new, and rinse and repeat. I've had to pay for ONE movie in the past 2 months, and I've probably watched about 40. Plus, I'm able to watch a bunch of TV shows I missed the first time around, commercial free.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    WOW! All of this sounds interesting. I'm not a huge movie watcher but my son is so this might be something I would consider.

One question...with Blockbuster.com does the rentals also apply to video games or movies only? My son could do some serious damage if it includes video games!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread