+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    i love netflix, but got to a point where i was just letting my movies sit there without watching, so i cancelled yesterday. however, here in dallas, they did a great job with turnaround times.
    Yeah, as much as I love, love, love the idea, the pressure was awful. I kept one movie for a month -- I figure it cost me $21 to rent. Even with the $12 option, I wasn't watching them enough to make it worthwhile.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

We love Netflix. Usually go through about 3 dvd's per week. Right now we are watching the first season of 6 Feet Under.

If I send a DVD out on a Monday (before the mailman arrives. That may make it seem longer because if the mailman has already gone to the mailbox that we drop off the DVDs then it makes it seem a whole day longer), Netflix will get the DVD on Tuesday and ship it out that day, and I'll get it on Wed.

As for all the problems mentioned so far... I'm ashamed to say I have yet to experience any of them.

I've had my subscription to Netflix now for a few months. I am very pleased w/ the service. They have all the cool independent films, all the great seasons of TV past to catch up on, and a great site that's easy to hunt, find, and search whatever you're looking for. My 8yr old son really loves it. My turnaround time is 2 days. That's cool by me. No lines and empty shelves like you guys said. I enjoy searching for new and interesting movies at any hour. You really do come across some good finds.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Kind of an old thread, but as a Netflix member, I've been given the opportunity to allow friends to get a free month of Netflix, versus the normal 2-week trial offered everyone else, and I wanted to share it with FORT members.

I don't get anything out of it, I don't think, but I do like Netflix and if you'd like to try it out, you can certainly use my link.

http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=80007145

John, if you're ever up for experimenting, you might want to give Blockbuster a try ( I think they have a free trial). I've used both and I sort of prefer Blockbuster. Not that there's anything wrong with Netflix. It's a great service, too.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fogey
    Thanks for that link, John!!! I'll use it. I hope you get credit for the referral.

I've been wanting to join for a couple of months. Everyone in my office uses Netflix and it's kind of funny 'cause on any given morning our "outgoing mail" bin has more Netflix DVDs than work-related mail.

My main concern is time: I barely even have time to sleep anymore, and I'm not watching nearly as much TV as I used to watch. I wanna join Netflix so I can watch DVDs of TV series while commuting on my train. There are a lot of things I want to see, so thanks for that link.

Hey Stargazer -- does Blockbuster let you mail things back and forth? I have a store only a couple of miles away, but I hate the thought of driving back and forth when, with Netflix, I can just use my mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post

Hey Stargazer -- does Blockbuster let you mail things back and forth? I have a store only a couple of miles away, but I hate the thought of driving back and forth when, with Netflix, I can just use my mail.
    Oh, whoops. I wasn't clear on that. i should have said blockbuster.com. They have the exact same service as Netflix, yes. Netflix even sued them for copyright infringement (and lost, I believe). Anyway, what i like better about Blockbuster.com is that I've never waited on a movie, even a new release. With Netflix, there always seemed to be a wait for new releases (at least when i was using it). They may have improved their supply since i used them, though.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Wow, this came from the depths. But I have had Netflix for over 2 years and for the most part love it. I live close to a distribution center so when I put something in the mail at my house, they get it the next morning and have one out to me the following.

I love it for catching up with shows I never saw. Over the summer I did Seasons 1, 2 of The O.C., all seasons of ALIAS, Lost, Carnivale, and The L Word.

I have only had a few problems.

A few months ago, I didn't have but 12 movies in my que and over half of them had a long wait.

I have had 1 CD that was lost upon return but I just reproted it and they sent it out again. Just last week, my movie never made it to me but somewhow made it to Netflix.

I saw someone else talk about how if you put a new release in your que sometimes you can get lucky and get the movie the day before or the day of release.

I pretty much love my Netflix!!

I've only had Netflix (again) for about 2 months. I live close to a distribution center, and always get my movies the next day (and they get theirs the next day, so it's a 2-day turnaround for them).

I'm re-watching the Sopranos, Scrubs, and Arrested Development, along with a bunch of movies I've wanted to see or re-see.

One thing I like them for is, I travel a lot. I can take the DVD's with me, watch them on the road, and drop them in the mail wherever I am. When I get home, there are a bunch more dvd's waiting for me.

So far (knock on wood), I haven't had a shipping problem either direction.

I also like the idea (but haven't used it) of being able to set a friend or family member up with their own account and a queue of their own. You can select how many movies in your grouping to designate to them, and they just go on their merry way with them.

+ Reply to Thread