+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

I guess the turnaround time depends on if you live near a distribution center. I actually called and talked to Netflix about this because, as I had said earlier, I used to get fresh DVDs just 2 days after I mailed them back, but it's gotten increasingly longer. The woman I spoke with said that Netflix's popularity has EXPLODED in the past year, and they are still working on how to handle the huge increase. Until then, 3-4 days is a wait I can live with, although of course I preferred it when I got them faster as I too tend to watch movies fairly quickly.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

One of the things that changed when we had a kid was that we couldn't just pop in a movie when we felt like it, and we found ourselves getting late fees like crazy, or even returning something unwatched. So Netflix is a great fit for us. We were the first ones in our neighborhood to subscribe with them, and there was a strange few months when our not-so-bright mailman put everyone's Netflix in our box - he just assumed they were ours. I would get on my bike and ride around the neighborhood distributing the movies. But eventually even the mailman clued in and we have very few problems.

You don't have to go to the post office to mail them, DJeterFan. They have a clever way of packaging it so that it doesn't take any postage on your part to mail it back. It's really painless, and their selection is so much better than Blockbuster or any of our neighborhood places.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'm imagining you riding around your neighborhood delivering Netflix fresh to everyone's door! CUTE!

The first time I saw the envelope Netflix came in, I was all surprised! I had been thinking it was going to come in a box or a regular CD case. In fact, it's just a little slim, little envelope, cleverly designed so that it is also the same thing you use as a return envelope.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

We loved it, but I cancelled it a couple weeks ago because it seems like we really have to make time to watch the movies. We only had problems with one movie during the time we had it (year and a half). Never lost a movie either in mail. Maybe we will order it again in a couple of months, but for now I will go and sleep at night instead of trying to stay awake watching movies. Also the timing for cancellation was good, as a little "protest" for them increasing the price. I don't think the increase was bad, and not the real reason for the cancellation, but I hope they will not keep pushing it upwards.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I just did a quick cost factor, I am on a 4 at a time plan, $26.45 a month including tax.
    In April I received 14 movies, $1.89 is pretty cheap for rentals and I don't have to drive and can watch and return at my convenience.
    They also keep track of what I've seen so I don't rent the same movie twice, which I have been known to do.

Wow Noreen, you put my movie count to shame! We can only barely half that, but we get fewer per month and it works out alright when you factor in our constant late fees.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Just saw this on their website:

Since launching our service four years ago, we've added more than 20 distribution centers in order to provide one-business-day delivery to most of our members. We've also expanded our library by thousands of titles and now offer more than 18,000 to choose from. During the four years, improvements such as these, as well as postal changes, have increased the cost of doing business.
    On June 15, 2004, our prices will change to:

3-at-a-time for $21.99
    5-at-a-time for $33.99
    8-at-a-time for $49.99
    2-at-a-time (4 rentals a month) for $14.99

I wonder if Walmart will be able to compete:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...&path=0%3A5430

If they offer a 2-week free trial yet, I recommend signing up for that. When you cancel your subscription at the end of your trial period, they make you a great deal to stay with them.

Interesting to read all the plans you guys have. There is a 4-out plan for $26? I have the five-out plan for $32.42 and rented 19 movies last month, but am thinking of reducing. Some other people I know have much better plans than I do, and I feel a bit cheated since I've been a good customer for quite a while now.

Reminds of stupid cell phone plans, I never get in on the right plan!

I want a sweetheart deal! Hey John, if you cancel, do you know if they keep your queue? I have over 400 movies in my queue b/c I type whatever movie comes to my mind, regardless of whether or not I'm ever going to get around to watching it. The queue is like online backup for my brain, I would hate to lose it.

I have no idea if they keep your queue. I signed up for the 2-week trial, but cancelled it, and didn't go for the ol' "please don't go, we'll eat you up we love you so" routine.

(with appropriate homage to my favorite children's book)

+ Reply to Thread