+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 140
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

  1. #121
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,599

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Well, the bloom is off the rose with Blockbuster, I think.

    Apparently, "unlimited exchanges" doesn't actually mean unlimited. You can exchange DVDs you got through the mail in-store. That's true. BUT, you can't take those DVDs (ie, the ones you got in the store) for more DVDs. They have to send those back for you and then they mail out some from your queue. Kind of false advertising, IMO.
    That is ridiculous!! What is the benefit of having the in-store option if you can't trade them for more movies in the store!? In the time it takes you to drive to the store, you could just put the DVD in the mail yourself!! I agree, that sounds like false advertising to me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Also, with Netflix, I would work things so that if a movie released on a certain day, I would mail movies in two days before the release date, so I would get the new movie on the day it came out. For instance, the new Harry Potter comes out on Friday, so I mailed movies back today (Wednesday) thinking that they would send me HP for Friday. I also had like 5 or 6 movies at the top of my queue that were all fairly new releases, but all either available or with a short wait. What are they sending me instead? 3 movies that were so far down on my queue that I didn't even remember they were in my queue. NOT HAPPY!
    I wonder if they just time things differently? I do like this about Netflix - I am just about guaranteed to get new releases on my list if I really want them just because I know how to time my return. Netflix mails new releases the day before they actually release, so subscribers receive them on release day. Is it possible that Blockbuster may not put new releases in the mail until release day?

  2. #122
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    16,886

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I wonder if they just time things differently? I do like this about Netflix - I am just about guaranteed to get new releases on my list if I really want them just because I know how to time my return. Netflix mails new releases the day before they actually release, so subscribers receive them on release day. Is it possible that Blockbuster may not put new releases in the mail until release day?
    Totally possible. I actually considered mailing one DVD back the next day to see if that was the case. I should have tried that! Still, that doesn't explain why they chose to not send me any of the 5 or 6 other movies at the top of my queue, several of which were shown as "Available."

    I also don't like that I can't put something in my queue that doesn't have a release date yet or isn't due to be released for another month of two. I like being able to add them when I think of it so that it's in there and I don't forget. I tend to add movies when I see the previews on other DVDs, so it's not necessarily big blockbuster movies that I would remember to add later. I like being able to add older titles that haven't been released on DVD so that, in case they ends up being released, I'll know without having to keep checking.

    This is a total nitpicky thing, but I find it a bit annoying that the movie descriptions on the DVD envelope is only so long and then says "read more at blockbuster.com." Really?

    My renewal date is the 25th, so I'll probably cancel by then and go back to getting my DVDs from Netflix. Unfortunately, in spite of their douchebaggish tendencies, Netflix does DVDs by mail better than anyone else right now. I had high hopes for Blockbuster, but I've been pretty disappointed. If the only thing they have going for them over Netflix is having new releases sooner, then I can wait.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  3. #123
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,599

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Totally possible. I actually considered mailing one DVD back the next day to see if that was the case. I should have tried that! Still, that doesn't explain why they chose to not send me any of the 5 or 6 other movies at the top of my queue, several of which were shown as "Available."

    I also don't like that I can't put something in my queue that doesn't have a release date yet or isn't due to be released for another month of two. I like being able to add them when I think of it so that it's in there and I don't forget. I tend to add movies when I see the previews on other DVDs, so it's not necessarily big blockbuster movies that I would remember to add later. I like being able to add older titles that haven't been released on DVD so that, in case they ends up being released, I'll know without having to keep checking.
    I would have been really annoyed if I had that many titles listed as Available that they skipped, but this issue with not being able to add unreleased titles would be a deal-breaker for me. By the time a movie comes out on DVD I often have completely forgotten about it! I add things as soon as I see a preview that looks interesting or if I hear about it from some other source (usually NPR). Sometimes I look at my Saved queue to see what coming up and end up thinking that I don't recognize the title of a film but the description sounds great, so I know I would be in bad shape if I couldn't add them ahead of time!

    Hopefully Netflix has seen the error of their ways and will attempt to be less douchbaggy in the future!

  4. #124
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    16,886

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I would have been really annoyed if I had that many titles listed as Available that they skipped, but this issue with not being able to add unreleased titles would be a deal-breaker for me. By the time a movie comes out on DVD I often have completely forgotten about it! I add things as soon as I see a preview that looks interesting or if I hear about it from some other source (usually NPR). Sometimes I look at my Saved queue to see what coming up and end up thinking that I don't recognize the title of a film but the description sounds great, so I know I would be in bad shape if I couldn't add them ahead of time!

    Hopefully Netflix has seen the error of their ways and will attempt to be less douchbaggy in the future!
    Hopefully! I'm going back to them next week. I traded in some DVDs in-store for the ones I wanted last week. When I take those back, that will be that. The nearest store really isn't so close that in-store trade-ins huge plus for me, especially since they aren't unlimited. The Blockbuster less than a mile from here closed a year ago. If it was still open, maybe I'd be more likely to stick with it.

    I watched one of the DVDs they sent me and it was so bad. I didn't even bother to watch the other two because I was just annoyed. I can always get them on Netflix, I guess.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  5. #125
    A Swirl of Leaves Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,542

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    A commentator on CBS Sunday Morning spoke to my addiction this morning. I mean the streaming TV shows I can watch on TV with my Roku device. He railed against his own addiction, but I'm happy for mine. I just finished watching all eight seasons of 24 and am trying to choose my next marathon. Will it be Downton Abbey, of Game of Thrones? These are two series I haven't watched yet and season 1, at least, is in my queue. While I had only watched episodes here and there, I watched all of Angel in marathon fashion as well as Numbers.

    What I like about watching the series front to back is seeing the character and plot development, especially those I saw only on a weekly basis. With the shows I haven't seen, I don't have to wait to see what happens. Ahh...addiction, and not in a funny commentator kind of way.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  6. #126
    A Swirl of Leaves Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,542

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    If anyone is interested, here is the commentary from the CBS Sunday Morning Show.

    My name is Luke, and I am a binge TV viewer - CBS News
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  7. #127
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,332

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    I love streaming to my tv. Right now, I have an older Blue-Ray dvd player that handles the job, but I am planning to get at least one Roku. Any suggestions, Arielfies, regarding which model to choose?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  8. #128
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    16,886

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    Florimel - I just have the Roku LT and it works fine for me. It was $50, which is a pretty good deal. I have fast internet, so I don't have any problems with slow-down or rebuffering.

    Ariel - I'd watch Downton Abbey and as quickly as possible. There are spoilers all over the internet about what happened in season 3. I'd get watching it now so you don't get spoiled. I think Netflix only has season 1 streaming though. I know that Comcast has all three seasons available OnDemand right now. Maybe your cable company has some of them available too.

    Since I'm a rabid Game of Thrones fan, I'm always in favor of watching it!

    I've watched all of the Joss Whedon series on Netflix, even though I own all of them but Angel on DVD (just waiting on a good price - it's not because I don't love it). Recently, I've been through The West Wing and caught up on Touch. I'd recommend House of Cards if you enjoy political intrigue. It's a Netflix exclusive series starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright.

    Right now I'm making my way through Alias, which is a show I loved. Like you, I enjoy watching them back-to-back (...to-back-to-back....) and seeing the plot and character development. Much better than waiting a week or a month for a new episode.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  9. #129
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,599

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Will it be Downton Abbey, of Game of Thrones? These are two series I haven't watched yet and season 1, at least, is in my queue.
    I have to agree with Critical that Downton Abbey would be the better choice to watch first if you don't want to be accidentally spoiled! Both are great shows!

    If you haven't already watched them, two other British shows I caught up with on Netflix are Sherlock and Luther. I highly recommend both of them!!
    Critical likes this.

  10. #130
    A Swirl of Leaves Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,542

    Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

    Sherlock is also in my queue, but this has been a weird week for me and what I landed in was a pile of bones...i.e. Bones, which I've also never seen.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.