+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

Blockbuster Online is DVDs only. You can get them by mail and either mail them back or exchange them in-store. Their streaming video is like pay-per-view on cable, so you have to pay, although they do have new movies. I'm getting Bridesmaids this week and they also have it available streaming for $3.99.

Two of the movies I'm getting this week - Bridemaids and X-Men: First Class aren't even available on Netflix yet, so there's another advantage.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Update: I got my first movies from Blockbuster on Tuesday, so it took a day for them to get to me. They have a distribution center in my city, so the turnaround time is going to be the same as with Netflix.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

netflix still meets my needs so i'm staying with them. considering i'm now disabled and i can't get out anytime i want to, $16 is more than reasonable for unlimited streaming and averaging 10-12 discs per month. i'm not thrilled with having to deal with two different websites, but oh well ... i will adjust.

I heard this week that Netflix has started enforcing a "one movie at a time" rule. This means that your account can only stream one movie at any given time. In my house we can stream Netflix content over our desktop computer, our living room DVR, our Roku, the Xbox, AND the Wii. Surprisingly, I still don't think it is likely that people would try to access a movie from two different devices at one time. Mostly because the kids primarily stream television content. I just thought it was an interesting to note the limitation that will likely annoy me if I do run into it!

No doubt that will be one more thing they're going to explain away as being beneficial to their customers Just like we wanted to pay more and then wanted to deal with two separate companies for the same service.

Yay! Netflix has killed the Quikster idea before it even got off the ground! Finally a smart decision from them!!!!!
    This is the e-mail I received about it this morning:
    It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

I got that email too! I'm glad someone at Netflix finally grew a brain. I'm still sticking with Blockbuster for my DVDs. Their prices are the same and they have new releases sooner than Netflix. Plus, being able to trade then in-store is a big bonus. After my free trial is over, I'll probably switch to two DVDs at a time.

I'll have to see how the streaming selection improves at Netflix before I decide if I'll keep it or not. It doesn't matter how many movies or TV shows they add if I don't want to watch any of it. My current plan is to watch everything in my instant queue and then cancel.

Same email. That is a relief...my life has gotten too complicated to have to split my brain for Netflix/Quikster.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Same email. That is a relief...my life has gotten too complicated to have to split my brain for Netflix/Quikster.
    I might have stayed with Netflix if they hadn't announced the split last month. Now that I've tried Blockbuster, I find that I prefer it for the reasons I posted about upthread. I don't think I'm the only one who's done the same. Maybe I'll get tired of having two queues, but I'm going to give Blockbuster a try for at least a few more months.

Well, the bloom is off the rose with Blockbuster, I think.

Apparently, "unlimited exchanges" doesn't actually mean unlimited. You can exchange DVDs you got through the mail in-store. That's true. BUT, you can't take those DVDs (ie, the ones you got in the store) for more DVDs. They have to send those back for you and then they mail out some from your queue. Kind of false advertising, IMO.

Also, with Netflix, I would work things so that if a movie released on a certain day, I would mail movies in two days before the release date, so I would get the new movie on the day it came out. For instance, the new Harry Potter comes out on Friday, so I mailed movies back today (Wednesday) thinking that they would send me HP for Friday. I also had like 5 or 6 movies at the top of my queue that were all fairly new releases, but all either available or with a short wait. What are they sending me instead? 3 movies that were so far down on my queue that I didn't even remember they were in my queue. NOT HAPPY!

I may go back to Netflix, as much as it kills me to give them my money. While it's convenient to trade DVDs in-store in a pinch, the whole "unlimited" thing is kind of a lie.

+ Reply to Thread