+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

Blockbuster does DVDs by mail for a flat monthly fee with the added benefit of allowing you to trade DVDs in-store. They do have on OnDemand streaming feature, but it's not available for a flat fee at the moment - you pay per movie. Hulu Plus does a lot of streaming of TV shows, but their movie selection is really weak.

After this latest announcement, I'm planning on canceling my Netflix by the end of the month or at least putting it on hold. Blockbuster is offering a one month free trial right now, so I'm going to try that out. In the meantime, I'm watching a bunch of stuff that's in my instant queue on Netflix so I get my moneys worth before I cancel.

Sadly, the nearest Blockbuster to my house - it was literally around the corner - closed a while back. There's another one within a few miles though, so it's not a huge long trip to trade DVDs at the store if I don't want to wait for them to come in the mail. I'm so ticked off at Netflix right now that I'm open to trying other services.

This whole Qwikster/Netflix split is ridiculous. Where so many other companies are integrating more and adding more services, they decide to make things less convenient and less integrated. The fact that there would be two queues (and two monthly charges from two different companies) is the height of idiocy. One of the things I liked best about having both DVDs and streaming was that I could tell when something in my DVD queue was available (or about to be available) streaming. Searching twice for the same movie is silly.

The split would make more sense if Netflix was expanding their streaming content dramatically, but unless they have something up their sleeve that we don't know about, that's not going to happen. They'll lose the Starz content in January, I think, so that's A LOT fewer good movies available streaming.

If you ask me, this is a big step backwards. I was sticking with them in spite of the price increase, but this split is probably the last straw for me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I am pretty sure Robert hates it.

A take on the Netflix shake up, via emails:

A Series Of Progressively More Insane Follow-Up Emails From Netflix CEO | Happy Place

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We've always loved having Netflix blurays/streaming but IDK that I want to deal with 2 separate sites, ESP since Netflix's streaming content is so minimal compared to other services, so we're up in the air. We get free Amazon streaming with our Prime acct and we've got Hulu Plus to watch TV shows but Netflix filled a gap between the two with their having more movies available than Hulu. Now, though, DH's company just put a Blockbuster kiosk in the lobby of their building, so it almost seems silly not to use it when it's so easy. We've got some research ahead of us but I have a feeling we'll be getting rid of at least the blu-ray service from Netflix.

Whoever thought this was going to be a good idea to split should have their head examined; this new change just doesn't make sense AT ALL.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

When they jacked the prices recently, we canceled the video part and kept streaming. Now we are considering getting rid of the streaming because frankly, their selection is cruddy. Our local grocery has a video section...movies are $2.49 to rent for one night. Works for me.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

With my new computer I can finally watch (without stalls, etc.) the long list I have in the streaming queu. Because I don't go to movie theaters, and buying new movies on DVD is outrageous for price, I rent them. I had a problem years ago with Blockbuster and have used Netflix since before they had the streaming option. For the moment I'll stay, but if costs for both don't equal the current cost for the combined, then I'll have to choose which service I want. Wait - isn't streaming free when combined with a mail service? This should be interesting.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Netflix separated their streaming and DVD by mail services. They announced the change a few months ago - it started with the first billing date after September 1, so most people have already had their accounts change.

What I'm planning to do is change to streaming only for about a month, so I can watch everything in my queue and then I'll either put my account on hold or cancel completely. I'm going to try the Blockbuster free trial for DVDs to see how I like it. Netflix has lost a lot of its streaming content and will lose more after the first of the year, so there are other sites that will be able to provide just as much content....sites that aren't run by complete douchebags.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I checked my billing history and in Jan 2011 it jumped a little over $3.00 and in Sept 2011 it jumped another $3.00 plus. So, since the beginning of the year my account - 3 movies at a time (Unlimited) plus unlimited streaming has increased in price almost $7.00.

When the split bills begin, I hope the two together don't total more than $26.00 (including the $1.85 CA/OC sales tax).

Since I'm not a movie goer, this is still a good deal, price-wise...though I'll see how the two sites handle the change, and if it gets too complicated, or even more expensive, I'll shop around.

I read something that makes sense. Netflix separated their DVD rentals into a new company (Qwikflix) so they would be in a position to sell it and provide streaming only through their Netflix brand. I guess once they convince studios and suppliers to meet their price for streaming - and copyright is dealt with - they will sell off Quikflix.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 09-22-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Heard Netflix stock took a huge hit because of this change in how they do business.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I deleted everything in my Netflix DVD queue last night and switched to streaming only. I'll watch what is left in my instant queue and then cancel before my next billing date.

I signed up for a free 30-day trial of Blockbuster Online. We'll see how that goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I signed up for a free 30-day trial of Blockbuster Online. We'll see how that goes...
    Is this services mail DVDs, streaming, or both? Please come back and give us an update after you have used it for a while!

+ Reply to Thread