+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

Re: Netflix: Love It or Hate It?

I'm a long time and previously loyal Netflix customer. I will definitely be canceling the service completely. There are other options out there. I already have Amazon prime, which has paid for itself via the free shipping policy and now has streaming of movies and tv; some is free, some have a rental fee. Hulu and Hulu Plus are also available, as is Redbox. Other download sites are opening up. Many DVD's can be borrowed from the public library. I will not support any company that treats is loyal customers this way, nor will I support rampant corporate greed. Again, there are always other options, if you know where to look.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I had them for a very brief time when their monthly rate was much lower.
    They talked about doing this quite a while ago. I think it's corporate greed at its worst.

I tend to rely on the library these days for DVD's.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

We haven't used Netflix in about 4 or 5 years. We started one summer before we were so hooked on reality tv (because there's nothing on but reruns), and we rented as many videos as we possibly could for a monthly fee. Trouble was, they always came to us much faster than they could make the return trip. I tried mailing from several different post office branches without getting a better result.

Now if my mailman could deliver it to me in two days, why did it take 4 and sometimes 5 for me to be marked off as having returned it and to become eligible for the next dvd? Seemed like it was their way of limiting my "unlimited" supply.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

We've had Netflix (streaming only) for about 4 months...we use my Xbox for it. But in those 4 months, I think I've only seen 3 movies that I was actually interested in.

We're dropping it. I have to check out HuluPlus to see what they offer. Otherwise, we'll just go with Verizon's streaming movies or our old standby, which is buying the DVDs months after the movies come out ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Now if my mailman could deliver it to me in two days, why did it take 4 and sometimes 5 for me to be marked off as having returned it and to become eligible for the next dvd? Seemed like it was their way of limiting my "unlimited" supply.
    That is strange. I have never personally noticed this with my subscription, and this is one area where I pretty much never complain about Netflix. When I drop one in the mail it takes one day to get to Netflix, one day for processing, and one day for the new one to get to me. It is very rare for it to take longer than this. Maybe a postal worker was "borrowing" them between the time you put them in the mail and the time they reached Netflix!?

We've used netflix since '03 or '04..a long time. We also use it streaming via xbox live. Love the service, love the selection of movies. Now with the cost increase coming down the pike we are in the process of switching to hulu plus. Eventually we want to get rid of cable completely and just go with online tv viewing.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    That is strange. I have never personally noticed this with my subscription, and this is one area where I pretty much never complain about Netflix. When I drop one in the mail it takes one day to get to Netflix, one day for processing, and one day for the new one to get to me. It is very rare for it to take longer than this. Maybe a postal worker was "borrowing" them between the time you put them in the mail and the time they reached Netflix!?
    The quick turn around has always been good for me, too. I think it depends on how close you are to a distribution center. I know there is at least one in my metropolitan area.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I stuck with Netflix after the recent price hike. I had already gone down from 3-at-a-time to 2-at-a-time, but then I upgraded to get Bly-ray discs. I was annoyed with the price hike, but I coped because I like the convenience of the service.

HOWEVER, with this new announcement that they are completely separating the two services, I don't know what I'm going to do. One of the huge benefits right now is that if I add a movie to my queue, I can tell if it is available for instant play right away and decide how I want to watch. If I have to manage two completely separate queues on two completely separate sites, there is really nothing keeping me from moving away from Netflix streaming to some other service like Amazon prime. Especially if their selection is comparable AND I get better deals on shipping for my orders there...
    Arielflies and AcookerTV like this.

FORT Fogey

I feel exaclty the same way ClosetRTWatcher. One of the things my husband and I have liked best about Netflix the way it used to be was that we could put a movie in our queue, and if it became available through streaming while we were waiting for the DVD, it would show us that and we could go ahead and watch it. Now, its going to be a lot of juggling, and will probably get too confusing to keep up with. I do think Netflix would be the perfect service if they could work out the rights to stream more movies. But they've never come up with a good way to show you what is available, and it sounds like they are going to be streaming less instead of more, because the movie studios are not giving them the rights to stream them.

I'm also looking for an alternitave for Netflix. I like both the mail and the streaming. Does anyone else do that? Also, I like getting movies in the mail so RedBox isn't for me. Any suggestions?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread