+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Troy - 05/14/04

Troy - 05/14/04

I didn't see a thread for this but maybe I missed it.

I went to sneak peek viewing (not sure what they called it but I won free tickets and went to see it)

I wasn't thrilled. While the male eye candy is there (Brad, Orlando and some really good looking guy who played Hector) it just didn't grab me. (Plus I was told the women were very good looking too)

Part of my problem is Achilles (played by Brad) came off as a spoiled, unlikeable brat most of the picture. Paris (played by Orlando) came off as a whiny oversexed ineffective teenager. Hector was the only main role that I really liked (ok lusted after ). I wasn't rooting for the Greeks at all but cheering on the Trojans, so you know the ending didn't thrill me at all. My girl friend liked it a lot better then I did. Some of the fight scenes were pretty amazing but other ones were very muddled and some were just plan stupid.

Oh well. Off to find some the name of the guy who played Hector.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

The hottie's name is Eric Bana, I think.

And from what you've described, it sounds like they've stayed pretty close to "The Iliad" in terms of character portrayal. Achilles is supposed to be a petty and vindicative character at first (although later he is redeemed after Priam teaches him the value of forgiveness) and Paris [i]is[/] an oversexed teenager - not a warrior at all - and his role in the story could be writ off as a tertiary if not for the name cachet of Orlando Bloom. Hector is the hero, although not the protagonist. Anyway, they're supposed to be sympathetic characters all around.

Good to know that the movie is faithful to the original. I'm seeing it on Friday. I was afraid they were going to go blockbuster on this thing and make Achilles into your conventional Hollywood hero and Hector the Hollywood-baddie, so I'm glad your report confirms otherwise. :thumbsup

Well, it makes the Trojan war look like it took about 16 days. When I think it was 9 years. Plus according to the movie Achilles is in the Trojan horse and helps take the city.....I think he was shot by Paris before the horse was ever thought of. (but I could be wrong) So...it's only sort of following the Iliad. I guess I just don't recall Achilles and Paris being so unlikable and blah but that could be the written word vs the movie. But the story in the movie is Achilles is turned around by a good woman. But Hector.....oh my Hector you are right his name is Eric Bana and there are some nice pictures of him online.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I was readin an article in People Magazine that said that Brad Pitt has some kind of nude scene in this movie. I know that'll make you Brad-maniacs out there happy.

I didn't expect this movie to be that great. Early reviews have already given it so-so reviews and Brad's partial nude scene isn't gonna do it for me. I think I'll just wait to rent it.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I'm going for this one. Well, not a fan of Brad or Orlando, but my dad has offered me free tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    some really good looking guy who played Hector
    He is Eric Bana. Well, I think he's the only one I'll be looking forward to after.

I would want to read up on "The Iliad" before I watch the movie.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unexplained
    I'm going for this one. Well, not a fan of Brad or Orlando, but my dad has offered me free tickets.
    Free tickets ? I want too... ! I will watch this, if I can, and have money to spend.

So, this isn't all that good? Damn. Wait, who am I kidding, I mostly wanted to see this one to look at the men anyway....all of 'em!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I can't remember which comedian said it, but it was reported that the best line of the movie came after Paris abducted Helen:

"Helen left with the Trojans!"

Mancow said this morning that the only people who would appreciate this movie are probably gay men. I think that's insulting to gay men, lol. I have to ditto the drooling for Eric Bana - I normally can't stand men in beards, but dang, he's very nice to look at.

I think this would make a great hen-party movie when it comes out on video!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast