+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Troy - 05/14/04

Quote Originally Posted by snickers
    i read in the same article that wolfgang peteron didn't want to bring the gods into the story because it would be like clash of the titans....i'm glad he didn't do it too lol
    I was also glad that the Greek gods were downplayed in this version, because then it would've made the movie kind of cheesy , imo.

I do like reading about greek mythology, but imo, the gods and goddessess don't transcend that well onto screen, unless, it's something like the tv-shows Hercules & Xena. It worked for the small screen, but I wouldn't pay to see it on the big screen.

Some people may be confused, though, if they don't know the role that the gods played in the story. I had to explain to my friend that Achilles was untouchable, up to when his weakness was revealed to Paris by the god, Apollo, because he was the son of a mortal woman and a god, Thesis, or something like that. Sorry, I don't know the name of the greek gods, but I know enough to get by.

Saw it, Didn't like it! Story is good, but that's all that's good about it. Surprised it's getting good reviews.
    Rating: 5/10

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    The transfer from a classic book to screen is always a bit iffy. Books usually have character-driven plots, exciting to read, but extremely boring to watch on film. That's why most films are made up of plot-driven characters. In that transfer, they're going to have to lose some of the finer points and storylines to keep the film moving along.

To see the Trojan War portrayed as it is in the Iliad, you'd have to do it in three or four installments. (LOTR fashion) No thanks.

Yes, lotsa eye-candy. (I actually swooned over Sean Bean playing Odysseus! Eric Bana's Hector runs a close second! ) I'm not young enough to like Orlando and the showing of him nude from the low hips up was purely gratuitous for the fangirls. :rolleyes

I did have to appreciate on some level of them trying to personify Achilles. I always got the impression in my reading of him that his hatred of being valued and used for his one ability forced him to put on a front of cockiness.

I also liked that they made Paris out to be more wussy and whipped so that it's a better contrast in character next to Hector. (The re-visit of Legolas had me cringing.)

Visuals were cool. Dialogue lacked. Lots of good-looking greek-god types chosen for the roles. It was okay. I don't know if I would own it on DVD, but a good watch on the big screen nonetheless.
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

I felt this had the potential to be a good movie, until I heard Brad Pitt was in it.

I think he's just such a terrible actor that it's hard for me to see beyond that and enjoy any film he's in.
    With Seven, I was at least distracted by Freeman and Spacey.
    Bloom and Bana won't be able to divert my attention away from Pitt's bad acting sufficiently to make me enjoy this movie.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Troy was okay. No GOOD but not THAT bad. It was long *2 hours and 42 mins* of mostly talking heh. What I really hated was the one of the early scenes where Pitt was going to fighting that tall warrior. I got so pysched up for a good fight and he ends up killing him so fast. This movie made me feel sorry and favor Troy where as I read the book I detested them heh. My favorite character was Hector!!! Paris was like a little horny kid and Brad Pitt was just stupid. Helen was amazingly beautiful *hot hot hot *.If I do remember, I do think Achilles was suppose to die in a battle before the horse idea. I hate Odysses for destroying Troy
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

I'm going to catch this movie tomorow!
    From what I've seen and read seems only like a so-so movie, again too much advertising, making the movie greater then what it really is. ANyhow I'll give my take on it after I've seen it. as for Orlando Bloom one main incentives for me to catch the movie

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    But, y'know, focus on the important thing...the lovely, lovely eye-candy. *drool* *drool* *drool*
    Taken note. Eric.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I thought that the movie was really good! I heard that it was okay but went to see it anyway and it exceeded my expectations.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Like most of you, I was cheering for the Trojans, and would've loved it if Hollywood changed the story and the Trojans ended up winning this time.

Hector was by far the best character in the movie. What a great warrior. His honor was admirable.

I did get very emotional when he fought Achilles, and what traspired after that. Didn't care much for Achilles (Brad Pitt) in the beginning because of his arrogance and insubordination, but I started warming up to him a little when he encountered the Trojan priestess (can't spell her name). He wasn't a bad guy, it's just that war is all he knew.

I know that the character calls for Paris to be somewhat of a wuss, but I was kind of desilusioned with Orlando Bloom playing that character because he's nothing compared to his previous strong and courageous characters from LOTR and Pirates of the Carribean.

Overall, it was very entertaining
    My thoughts exactly.

I was rooting for the Trojans, Hector and the scene of the battle between Hector and Achilles, I sobbed hard. Because I knew the outcome. And I couldn't bear to go through it. I covered my eyes and sobbed.

What a softie. :rolleyes

Two great men. Peter O'Toole as King of Troy and Eric Bana as Hector.
    Worth watching the movie.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I vaguely remember a greek myth about, I think it was Aphrodite promising Paris the most beautiful mortal woman Helen of Troy, but not sure of the details. I didn't realize Sean Bean is in Troy, have had the hots for him since LOTR, which is rare, you can keep Orlanda, Brad, and Eric, just give me Sean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast