+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Man on Fire - 04/21/04

Man on Fire - 04/21/04

Man on Fire (2004)

Synopsis: A wave of kidnappings has swept through Mexico, feeding a growing sense of panic among its wealthier citizens, especially parents. In one six-day period, there were twenty-four abductions, leading many to hire bodyguards for their children. Into this world enters John Creasy, a burned-out ex-CIA operative/assassin, who has given up on life. Creasy's friend Rayburn brings him to Mexico City to be a bodyguard to nine-year-old Pita Ramos, daughter of industrialist Samuel Ramos and his wife Lisa. Creasy is not interested in being a bodyguard, especially to a youngster, but for lack of something better to do, he accepts the assignment. Creasy barely tolerates the precocious child and her pestering questions about him and his life. But slowly, she chips away at his seemingly impenetrable exterior, his defenses drop, and he opens up to her. Creasy's new-found purpose in life is shattered when Pita is kidnapped. Despite being mortally wounded during the kidnapping, he vows to kill anyone involved in or profiting from the kidnapping. And no one can stop him.

Statistics
    Genre(s): Remake, Thriller Rating: Not available Runtime: 142 mins. Theatrical Release: 04/21/2004

Cast & Role
    Denzel Washington - Creasy
    Dakota Fanning - Pita
    Marc Anthony - Samuel
    Radha Mitchell - Lisa
    Christopher Walken - Rayburn
    Giancarlo Giannini - Manzano
    Rachel Ticotin - Mariana

Crew & Credit
    Tony Scott - Director Lucas Foster - Producer

I saw Man on Fire this weekend. LOTS of violence.
    The little girl, Dakota Fanning is just darling!

Great acting by Denzel, although I fear he might be getting typecast into these quiet, sombre, determined, vengeful roles. The movie was at least half an hour too long. Scott's visual style of quick cuts and distracting flashes really detracted from the movie. Great acting by Dakota Fanning. I like vengeance-themed movie, but I wish the movie would have ended diferently. The screenplay was ok, it contained the necessary number of twists that seem to be par for the course for movies these days.

Spoilers:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I wish Denzel would have, um, implanted a bomb in himself and detonated it when he met "The Voice." He was obviously going to die, and seemed to want it to end, why not go out with a bang? Especially to get the head bandito. I guess the movie doesn't show what happened to him, so he mighta done it, but the way the movie ended, you could tell he had given up.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I saw this movie last night and thought it was great. I would definitely recommend it to those looking for a decent action movie that actually carries a good story.
    There's no such thing as making too much money or taking too many risks.

+ Reply to Thread