+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 12/18

FORT Fanatic
    Originally posted by Modesty
    Well, that's been a complaint made by many over the years... there's some good reading about it on one of the sites I posted links to... about how Tolkien had a very old fashioned view of women, putting them on a piedistal(sp) just to admire (as he did with his wife too, btw).
    lol - well, it seems that women of Middle Earth are only meant to put Aragorn on a pedestal to admire, because that's all they do

Seriously, can't they SEE Legolas????

Originally posted by Modesty
    ...In the book, btw, Osgiliath has already fallen when Boromir sets out for Rivendell...
    Do you remember this line from the movie? When they're at Osgiliath, Sam says, "It's all wrong! By rights we shouldn't even be here!" I thought that was a clever little line, with it's double meaning. Apparently, the writers felt the need to acknowledge their deviation from the books.

Here's another interesting fact I ran across. Stuart Townsend was cast as the original Aragorn & fired 4 days into shooting. I'm sure all the ladies are thankful that he was replaced with Viggo. Here's what Aragorn could have looked like...
    Attached Images Attached Images

FORT Fogey
    Noo way,, I love Viego much much better,, way more masculine and heroic and a lot more of that brooding under current thing going on!! Boy, did they do the right thing in re-casting that role!!!!

Princess
    Originally posted by jodaar
    Do you remember this line from the movie? When they're at Osgiliath, Sam says, "It's all wrong! By rights we shouldn't even be here!" I thought that was a clever little line, with it's double meaning. Apparently, the writers felt the need to acknowledge their deviation from the books.
    Oh yes, I noticed that one, and laughed!

Here's a few more facts about LOTR that I found.

- In the movie "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" as Harry enters Dumbledore's study, a portrait of Gandalf the Grey is included in the collection of paintings. (It is above the doorframe and slightly to Harry's right.)

- Sean Connery was offered the role of Gandalf but turned it down. "I had never read Tolkien," he said, "and I didn't understand the script when they sent it to me. Bobbits? Hobbits?"

- Miramax was LOTR's original studio. But when the price tag for the project rose above $70 million they got cold feet and sold the rights to New Line Cinema. So far this has cost them about $1 billion.

Princess
    Jodaar! Great info! And someone's head at Miramax might be pretty lose right now....

FORT Fanatic
    Originally posted by jodaar

- Sean Connery was offered the role of Gandalf but turned it down. "I had never read Tolkien," he said, "and I didn't understand the script when they sent it to me. Bobbits? Hobbits?"
    Too funny! Makes me laugh every time I read it.

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Is it worth the bucks to buy LOTR1 on video?
    Bill, yes, yes, yes!!!Buy the DVD but I highly recommend buying the Extended version. All the extra stuff you get makes it well worth whatever you pay (I paid $60 and would have paid even more!)). But a word of caution, don't watch any of the extra stuff until you have watched BOTH movies (FOTR and TTT).
    I made the mistake of watching how they did some of the special effects and found myself concentrating on this while watching TTT just to see if I could tell! (I couldn't) Ha!

Also, I just heard about a site called dvdeastereggs.com that will tell you how to access extra things put into dvd's, pretty cool!

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Okay, I have read the triology, and the other related Tolkien lore a few times about 20 years ago, but from the looks of things, I may be the last person in america who has seen neither of these films.

Is it worth the bucks to buy LOTR1 on video?
    Bill, IMHO, it is absolutely worth it to by LOTR1 on video (or, even better, DVD if you have a DVD player). I don't have the high-end "extended version"; I just have the regular "special version" or whatever the first version that came out is called. Anyway, I usually don't like this kind of movie, but I watched it once and was hooked. I would say it would be well worth your time to get it.

+ Reply to Thread