+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 12/18

Originally posted by Summer
    Jodaar, I meant magical in the cool sense of the word. Isn't amazing how our kids know so much more than us (in my case at least) about a story that has been around since we were little?
    Oh, gotcha. Ents are very magical in that sense. It's great that kids take an interest in such a great story. Even better if they actually sit down & read the books. They actually have some good life lessons hidden in there.

Princess
    Here are 2 links to sites where you can find some answers to questions re. LOTR and the "people" and places in it:

At this site, there is an index in the left column:
    http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm

This is the link to the Q&A at this site:
    http://greenbooks.theonering.net/questions/

Princess
    Originally posted by jodaar
    I don't think Ents have any magic powers, if that's what you mean. They're just some old fellas that look like trees. But I think they're one of the oldest races of folk in Middle Earth, older than even the elves. Being thousands of years old is pretty cool. Also, they were much faster in the movie than in the books. PJ must have put them on amphetamines.
    I saw the TTT tonight... and no, the Ents don't move too fast - rather slower than is described in the book. Also, Ents have some kind of magical powers, though so far we didn't see it in the movie, but it's in the book (mentioned when Merry and Pippin come to one of Treebeard's homes). And yes, the Ents are the oldest beings in Middle Earth (together with Tom Bombadill, but that's another story...).

I'm sadly kind of disappointed. The scenery was wonderful, but I got so fed up with these close-ups on faces, and the wishy-washy romantic stuff.
    The best part was Gollum/Smeagol. That is academy award material in my mind anyway. Absolutely brilliant!! (BTW, I read that every scene he was in, they shot twice - first with the "real" actor, and then without him so that they could add the animated figure.) I think the relationship Sam/Frodo/Gollum was the one that was the one best depicted, in all its complexity.
    The Ents were neat .
    I didn't like the casting of Eowyn.
    Really love Merry and Pippin - they are so cute!
    Aragorn was disappointing to me, in the book he surprises his friends by suddely appear as kingly (especially at the meeting with Eomer) - I didn't see that, he seemed mostly rather lame.
    There were many things that were changed from the book, which of many were ok. However, never in the book does anyone ever doubt what's the "right" thing to do, but I suppose that's doesn't make much of suspense.... I guess I don't mind too much that the storyline is changed as when the personalities are changed.

* spoiler warning (little bit anyway ) *

In the book:
    Theoden is set to go to war already from Meduseld, and sends women and children to another stronghold in the mountains (Dunharrow) - lead by Eowyn, while he rides to Helm's Deep, and there are plenty of good warriors with him too (no-one too old or young).

Eowyn never really talks with Aragorn (or anyone else in the company) - but she falls in love with him anyway, and Aragorn never cast an eye on Eowyn.

Faramir actually passes "the test" immediately (as he is absolutely true hearted and above temptations - as opposed to his brother), and lets Frodo and Sam (and Gollum) go. (I think this one bugged me the most....) In the book, btw, Osgiliath has already fallen when Boromir sets out for Rivendell.

In the Ent-moot, they already decided that they'd go to war against Saruman; Treebeard and the other ents of course already knew what harm Saruman had done to them.

Ah well... I'm looking forward to the last movie anyway

FORT Fanatic
    I thought the movie was fabulous! I was completely overstimulated by all the action and visual effects by the time it was over.

My only complaint is regarding the very poor representation of women. Even the women who were trained to fight were dismissed as useless in battle - like a 10 year old boy will be more valuable in battle than a trained and skilled woman? They didn't even gloss over it - there were about 4 lines in the movie dismissing the women as useless. It was pretty blatant, especially after showing us that Eowyn and the other women had been trained to use a sword. The few women in this movie were only good for admiring and glorifying men from afar. Very disappointing, especially after FOTR made a point of giving women bigger and more important roles (i.e. Arwen's horseback race against the Wraiths - this was changed from the book version).

Props to whoever rode the bridleless horse at a full gallop across the plain. That's very difficult, even with a well trained horse. I think that most of the time when McClellan rode, there was a string around the horse's neck, but I assume there was a stunt rider up when there was no string. Just a guess though. As a horsewoman I appreciate the effort the cast made to become good riders - there's nothing worse than seeing an actor look like a sack of potatoes on a horse, when the character is supposed to be a skilled rider. There was some really excellent riding by the actors in this film.

I loved the ups and downs of the big battle - everything was hopeless, then the Elves show up! Hooray! Then everything looks bad again, and the horsemen show up! It was amazing. The Ent battle scene was flawless. It looked completely real. Pretty incredible.

I suppose I have one other complaint - I was too worried that Legolas was going to get killed! They couldn't have cast anyone more perfect for that role. Very nice stunts and archery. I don't know why a guy with a bow is so much more sexy than a guy with a sword....

Princess
    My only complaint is regarding the very poor representation of women.
    Well, that's been a complaint made by many over the years... there's some good reading about it on one of the sites I posted links to... about how Tolkien had a very old fashioned view of women, putting them on a piedistal(sp) just to admire (as he did with his wife too, btw). What to do - he was born and bred in a different time... I try not to get annoyed by it, and so far I've actually succeeded pretty well....

Props to whoever rode the bridleless horse at a full gallop across the plain.
    Also a horse woman(!) I could appreciate that too... though it looked as if his hands were holding reins, so I'm wondering if they were digitally removed?

The Ent battle scene was flawless. It looked completely real.
    Oh, yes, that was a very good one that I forgot to mention!!

And yes... Legolas was perfectly yummy!!!

Modesty, the changes really threw me too. The Farimir thing is the only one that really bothered me, but I guess it made for better drama that way.

Regarding the treatment of women...I agree with you Jill. But given the fact that the story was written in the 1930's & is supposed to reflect our own culture from hundreds of years ago, it's understandable the book was written that way. And I think it would have been too huge a change from the book for the movie to cast women as equals in battle. I think PJ did a pretty good job of showing women as being strong & capable, even if they weren't supposed to be.

Okay, I have read the triology, and the other related Tolkien lore a few times about 20 years ago, but from the looks of things, I may be the last person in america who has seen neither of these films.

Is it worth the bucks to buy LOTR1 on video?
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Video? It's worth the bucks to spring for a DVD player, if for no other reason than watching these movies. Seriously.

LOL jodaar...

thankfully I am well stocked with DVD players in the house. I shall go buy LOTR1 before seeing 2.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Bill, I bought the LOTR DVD and have watched it twice all the way through and all of the special features at least once. I am sure to watch it again really soon. I love this movie and cannot wait to read the books. I need to see the second movie before I go nuts! I think the DVDs are well worth the money. I believe that the special features running time is 5 hours and that did not include the still shots and conceptual drawings that were included in the bonus material. So, for at least eight hours of entertainment, I think $30 is more than fair.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread