+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 12/18

I finally got out to see it this weekend. It was all I expected & more. Where to start? Without giving too much away, I can say...

Smeagol/Gollum should win an Oscar for best supporting actor. He stole every scene he was in. Hard to believe he was computer generated. Every last detail from Tolkein was there, down to the smallest mannerism & speech pattern. It's amazing what PJ's team was able to do here.

The movie's opening put the Matrix to shame. Great battle scene. A few minutes later I was in tears because a mother put her kids on a horse. The full range of emotions was hit with a two ton hammer.

Legolas was brilliant as expected. You'll see why all my D&D characters have been based on him. The guy's a freakin ninja-sniper-Spiderman. Loved his horse mount & shield ride. Most of his moves were too quick to fully enjoy. Nice to see he got some key speaking parts & showed some depth.

Gimli was hilarious. I especially enjoyed him talking about dwarven women. His one liners had the whole crowd laughing through the full 3 hours.

The orcs were great. Wish we could have seen more of them interacting with Merry & Pip. Also wish we could have seen more comedy from those two, as we did in the FOTR.

The Aragorn-Arwen-Eowyn love story was very moving. That Liv can cry some huge tears. Great love story.

All in all, it was a great movie. Expect it to sweep all the awards shows. I'm impatiently waiting for the Return of the King. Hopefully I'll get to see it on premier night. Somebody remind me to buy tickets & find a babysitter ASAP.

Jodaar writes:
    "Smeagol/Gollum should win an Oscar for best supporting actor. He stole every scene he was in. Hard to believe he was computer generated. Every last detail from Tolkein was there, down to the smallest mannerism & speech pattern. It's amazing what PJ's team was able to do here."

AAHHH, Jodaar, I'm with you, Just saw it this afternoon and although I loved it, I think I liked LOTR FOTR better. But who knows, after 7 or 8 viewings, I may change my mind.

In reference to your comments above, wasn't Gollum done by a real actor? According to the special on a couple of weeks ago, he was a guy in some kind of blue suit that recorded all his moves then they did a bunch of digital stuff to him. No matter, he was very compelling.

Orlando Bloom gets more and more.........delicious. His portrayel of Legolas cannot be topped. My daughter (the OB guru) says he originally auditioned for Faromir. So glad he ended up as Logolas!

One other tidbit, as she (daughter) not so politely pointed out "they are Uruk Hai, mother not Orcs." Okay, so I consulted the LOTR The Two Towers: Creatures Book and learned:
    The Uruk Hai are Orc and Goblin hybrids bred by Saruman to use as soldiers. Unlike other Orcs, they are tall, strong and unaffected by sunlight.

I thought the Ents were magical.

In short, can't wait to see it again.
    Watch out, It's a stampede!

Originally posted by Modesty
    Wolf, no the quivers are not magical (nor are the arrows). In the book(s) he runs out of arrows all the time, so he goes to pick up "used" ones (shot by the enemies) when he runs out.
    Ah...thanks Modesty for the clarification. Having them pick up and use arrows that have already been used makes perfect sense.
    So quivers is what the arrow case is called. Learn something new everyday. Thanks to your son, Cali!

Originally posted by Summer
    ...wasn't Gollum done by a real actor? According to the special on a couple of weeks ago, he was a guy in some kind of blue suit that recorded all his moves then they did a bunch of digital stuff to him. No matter, he was very compelling.
    Andy Serkis did the voice for Smeagol/Gollum & also did the motion capture acting work. He wore a special suit with the fixed points & such as a reference & model, but the character was totally computer animated. They did an amazing job.
    Originally posted by Summer
    One other tidbit, as she (daughter) not so politely pointed out "they are Uruk Hai, mother not Orcs." Okay, so I consulted the LOTR The Two Towers: Creatures Book and learned:
    The Uruk Hai are Orc and Goblin hybrids bred by Saruman to use as soldiers. Unlike other Orcs, they are tall, strong and unaffected by sunlight.

I thought the Ents were magical.
    The Uruk Hai are the ones who look like that wrestler "the Rock". They're the musclebound ultimate warriors. Regular orcs are scrawnier & have bigger ears & noses. I believe they were the ones riding wargs earlier in the movie. And I think the group that captured Merry & Pip were a mix of Uruk Hai & orcs, though I'm not sure.

I don't think Ents have any magic powers, if that's what you mean. They're just some old fellas that look like trees. But I think they're one of the oldest races of folk in Middle Earth, older than even the elves. Being thousands of years old is pretty cool. Also, they were much faster in the movie than in the books. PJ must have put them on amphetamines.

The Two Towers

I thought the Two Towers was a more enjoyable movie to watch than the first one. Too bad we have to wait a whole year to see the Final installment.
    Treat me with respect and I'll treat you with respect.

yes!!
    i have really high hopes for LOTR the two tower and it didn't disappoint me at all!
    can't wait for return of the kings~
    i think Orlando bloom is too thin to be Faromir??haha
    Gimli was hilarious. I especially enjoyed him talking about dwarven women. His one liners had the whole crowd laughing through the full 3 hours.
    yes!!i especially like the "toss me"

From my son:

Merry and Pippin were with Uruk Hai and Orcs (that's why there was the big "lets eat them" fight... The Orcs wanted to eat Merry and Pippin, the Uruk Hai didn't.

The Ents aren't trees (I just learned that) My son says they explain it better in the book. He's looking through it now to get a good description, but I'm too impatient to wait
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

some guards of the forest?can't really remember..
    oh..
    the forest keeper!!
    is that wat they call it?
    each time one loves is the only time one ever love...differences of object merely intensify the passion

I think they were tree herders, but I'm not sure why they wound up looking like walking, talking trees if they weren't No matter, as they were pretty darn cool
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Jodaar, I meant magical in the cool sense of the word. Isn't amazing how our kids know so much more than us (in my case at least) about a story that has been around since we were little?
    Watch out, It's a stampede!

+ Reply to Thread