+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky VI... I am not joking...

Rocky VI... I am not joking...

MGM puts 'Rocky VI' in ring
    Thu Dec 12, 1:21 AM ET

By Chris Gardner

LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- The long-rumored "Rocky VI" is one step closer to fighting its way to the big screen. MGM is nearing a final deal with Sylvester Stallone (news) to write, star in and produce another installment of the Academy Award-winning franchise.

But unlike most Hollywood franchises that see each installment grow in size, scope and budget, the new "Rocky" will return the franchise to its indie-style roots. The original 1976 film -- starring Stallone as the ultimate underdog who takes on champ Apollo Creed -- rang in at a budget just north of $1 million and went on to gross more than $220 million worldwide.

That's exactly the type of business model MGM has turned to following such projects as "Legally Blonde" and "Barbershop," both of which were budgeted less than $20 million and turned out to be big hits that more than tripled their budgets at the boxoffice. Sources close to MGM say that -- given the right script -- the studio and Stallone hope to continue that trend with a "Rocky VI" budgeted in the $10 million-$15 million range.

The story line for "Rocky VI" would find Stallone as a 50-year-old Rocky Balboa who is now at work running a youth center. He is lured out of retirement from the ring for one last fight. Stallone would produce along with the franchise's producers, Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff. At MGM, the project is being shepherded by president Michael Nathanson.

Talk of a "Rocky VI" had been bandied about and reported in the press for several years, but deals never came to fruition. However, MGM, which leans on the financial returns from successful library titles and franchises like the James Bond films, never threw in the towel because of continued profits from "Rocky" titles in the home video and DVD arena as well as video games.

Following the first film in 1976, MGM rolled out "Rocky II" in 1979, "Rocky III" in 1982, "Rocky IV" in 1985 and "Rocky V" in 1990. All of them cleared the $100 million mark except for "Rocky V," which finished at about $40 million.

Stallone is repped by ICM, the Firm and attorney Jake Bloom. He most recently starred on the big screen in "Driven" and recently wrapped the ensemble "Shade."
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Anyone remember the Rocky poster on the airport gift shop wall in Airplane 2? It's coming closer and closer to reality.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I was just thinking that same thing Paulie!

"George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

isn't sylvester stallone about 157 years old now? he could fall in the ring and break a hip!!

Princess
    OMG, what will this be?? "Gramps Rocky Rocks On" - or what?

I watched the first one not that long ago. It's was even better than I remembered. I'm going to try really hard not to let part 6 ruin that for me.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

"Here's your Geritol Rock! Now get out there and take down Mr T!"

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Rocky VI? Excuse me, I've got to dash over to the "Couldn't watch it" and "Movies so bad you left the theater" threads and launch a preemptive strike on this film.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I heard about this on the radio this morning and seriously thought it was a joke!

I didn't even know there was ever a Rocky V.

(wasn't IV that ridiculous one with Dolph Lundgren as the Russian that kills Apollo?)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Princess
    Wayner! Good idea - though I can't understand why you would go to watch it in the first place!

Yes I think so, BF - Dolph Lundgren, the Swedish embarrassment.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast