+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House of Sand and Fog...?

I related more to Mr. Behrani than I did to Kathy, oddly.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I was thinking about this movie again recently, because (as Tallu mentioned) Shohreh Aghdashloo and Jonathan Ahdout are playing mother and son again on "24" and are again blowing me away with their performances.

This movie just haunts me; it's been a while now since I've seen it, and it still has the power to get under my skin with it's raw emotions and unforgettable bleakness. I think I'd better check out the book now that I've read the recommendations.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Texicana - not that odd, really. She is on the decline, he is trying to work his way back up again. She has had everything - the house inherited, a good family - then lost it due to drugs and disinterest (didn't open her mail or respond to notices), shacks up with a married man w/ kids. He on the other hand, had everything, lost it, kept up pretenses with two jobs, and is legally finding a way to make some money. The book had the same effect on me as the movie did on you, Snowflakegirl. It stayed with me long after I read it. And I read a lot. Most books slither under the surface as soon as you turn the last page.
    Count your blessings!

It's just that my husband doesn't understand how I can not feel that badly for Kathy, and I just really don't. I agree with your assessment Gutmutter...she's using Lester as much as he uses her to get out of his marriage.

Sorry to harp about the book again, but in the book you get a clearer sense of how messed up Kathy is. In the movie, she is a more sympathetic character.
    Count your blessings!

That's a great point Gutmutter...plus the changed the ending in the movie, which I didn't like at all.

Premium Member
    I came across this one night on HBO, it was just starting so I watched for a minute to see what it was. It pulled me in right away and I stayed up until 2 am because I couldn't turn it off. I couldn't stop thinking about it for a long time. I'm definitely going to find the book now.

For anyone who didn't understand the father's actions at the end, the book also does a far better job of explaining his motives.
    Count your blessings!

I almost bought this movie at a pawn shop because I thought it looked interesting. I caught it on HBO a month or so ago and I'm glad I didn't. It was in no way a bad movie, I just don't think I could bare watching it again. Too depressing for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123