+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: House of Sand and Fog...?

Thank you very much Zhora.

hey sweet baby. how YOU doin'?

Good sugar.

Okay, I finally saw this movie. I'd like to post my thoughts on it, if only I could stop BAWLING MY EYES OUT!!!

Seriously, I am a softy, tis true, but this is the hardest I've cried during a film in a long time. As you all have mentioned, there are elements to the film that are extremely heartrending and tragic, but the reason I would recommend this film is that, for me anyway, I do think its dark moments serve to illuminate what's beautiful and leave you, ultimately, more grateful for what you have once it's over.

The performances, pretty much all-around--are amazing. The leads and supporting cast alike are nuanced, complex, and real (I'm thinking Behrmani's wife & son in particular). That's what makes the story all the more tragic. There is no bad guy, there is no easy villain on whom to pin the blame. Ben Kingsley can emote so much without a single line of dialogue, just looking at a single twitch in his expression can bring me to tears. He is a master, and his portrayal of Behrmani is so dignified. Jennifer Connolly is excellent, again, as a troubled alcoholic in recovery, vulnerable and in need of love.

Perhaps, as Shayla was starting to suggest, on the macro-level the film could be about the futility of the human battle for possession of territory. But on the micro-level, it is also very moving in that it makes you question the value that we as humans put on material possessions, wealth, ownership, and property. What does it mean in comparison to love, to life, to personal happiness? So why do we fight so hard for it?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Wow, I just watched this as it is now starting a run on HBO. I didn't know anything about the movie coming in, so all the dark parts were a complete surprise to me. At this point, the only thing I really liked in the movie was how ambivalent you are about the characters - there's no villians or heroes, they are all humans trying to figure out their place in the world. But it was so depressing. And I didn't understand the ending. Ack!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I haven't seen the movie but I read the book and was so moved by it I recommended it to people who afterwards asked me why I had done that to them. I read a lot and usually a book disappears into the ether after I finish it, but this one stayed with me for years. Then Oprah did it on her bookclub, but I don't watch often enough to have caught the discussion (which I would have enjoyed). I keep waiting for it to get off the "new release" shelf of our rental place. It is at the very end of the row now. I hope the movie does the book justice. Has anyone seen the movie after reading the book who can comment?
    Count your blessings!

I finally rented this and it was very true to the book. The only difference was it ended too soon... I won't spoil it just in case, but if you've only seen the movie, pick up the book the next time you're in the library or book store and read the last few pages. I think I like the movie's ending better.
    Count your blessings!

Really good movie. Though I would say that Kingsley's character was more the villain than anyone else in the movie, especially considering his actions towards his wife at the end of the movie, regardless of his understanding of how much consent she was really giving to him. But unlike countless movie villains, he was a believeable human being. He had believable motives and he did what he thought was best for his family. I recommend it to everyone.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I just saw this movie on HBO the other day..(being on bedrest has its good points) Boy....I cant even begin to comment on this movie. So intense..so sad...dark...upsetting in many ways.
    Ben Kingsley is a genius (loved him in Sexy Beast) I could barely stand to watch him in the end.
    Shoresh Angaloosh and Johnathan Adhout who play Berhani wife and son are also Dina and Berouse on 24 as well.

I think Im going to check out the book.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

T-baby - I definitely recommend the book. You get a lot more of the nuances and really get inside their heads.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast