+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Soccer- 04/02

Shaolin Soccer- 04/02

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: Shaolin was an art practiced through the ages--a skill mastered in the heart. For six young believers it had become more than just a philosophy. It had become a complete way of life. But as the world changed around them, and honor and discipline became forgotten values, the young followers lost their way--except for Sing. With the help of a former soccer star, he reunites his old, out-of-shape, misfit friends and recruits a young woman with extraordinary Kung Fu skills. Together, they're out to combine the ancient power of Shaolin with the modern game of soccer and in the process, they just might take the world's most popular sport to its most extreme.
    Genre(s):
    Comedy
    Sports
    Rating: MPAA PG-13
    Runtime: 111 mins. (US version)\ 97 mins. (Hong Kong version)

Cast & Role

Stephen Chow -- Sing-Chi Sing
    Ng Mang-tat -- Fung
    Vicki Zhao -- Mui
    Patrick Tse -- Hung
    Li Hui -- Beautiful Girl
    Cecilia Cheung -- Slender Dragon Team Player
    Karen Mok -- Slender Dragon Team Player
    Vincent Kok -- Shanxi Robert DeNiro
    "That's Numberwang!"

[IMG]images/img/000shaolinsoccer.jpg[/IMG]

Bend It Like Beckham meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon meets The Matrix in a comedic adventure about...Shaolin monks playing soccer? I know this might not immediately strike everyone as their idea of a must-see, but I've heard a lot of great buzz about this movie, especially from fans of martial arts or Hong Kong action films (like me!); the special effects, in particular, are supposed to be amazing.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Oops there is another thread I made earlier feel free to lock it

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I'm surprised it's just showing in the US. I didn't watch it when it was shown in Singapore during last year or a few years back. But I heard it was very funny. Should try to support it.

Sometimes it takes a while for a foreign film to find a distributor here in the States, audiomaster. I'm still waiting for Battle Royale to be available out here!!!!!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Battle Royale (1 and 2) will NEVER be released theatrically in the US, between Columbine-esque scenes (in part 1) and the anti-US sentiment (part 2), I just don't see it happening.

I also found out that Shaolin Soccer was cut about 20 minutes for US consumption, it's a little under 90 minutes now (they gutted the score completely). yay Miramax.

edit - I noticed that it the notes at the top say that the US version is longer than the Hong Kong version. I wonder if they didn't do a revamp. I though this movie was supposed to have already been released in the US. Maybe it went through a big revamp.
    Last edited by weston; 03-30-2004 at 05:00 PM.
    No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

I think this movie came out 2 or 3 years ago in Asia, or maybe even longer. The hype is there, but I'm afraid some Western fans might not find it as funny as it sounds. The special effects are rather cheesy, IMO. Also, there's in-jokes which only fans of kung fu classics (Bruce Lee galore!) will get, and Stephen Chow's brand of humour is not for everyone. (In fact, some consider him to be the East's version of Jim Carrey. These are also the same people who liked his God of Cookery.)

Vickie Zhao is ugly for a change. Too bad Karen Mok only makes a cameo appearance as a mustachioed soccer player with dreads.

ETA: Agree w/ weston about Battle Royale. I think you'll just have to make do with more art-house, less edgy foreign fare like The Dreamers, Snowflake.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Sometimes it takes a while for a foreign film to find a distributor here in the States, audiomaster. I'm still waiting for Battle Royale to be available out here!!!!!
    With the replies after yours, especially the one by weston, I guess you won't be able to watch that. Oh, I have the VCD for Battle Royale one. Call me a scary-cat, but I close my eyes, after 5 minutes of the movie. It's THAT scary. Argh.

Back to topic, come to think of it, I think I remember that Shaolin Soccer was out in 2000. And too bad you all won't be able to see the full version too.

It's pretty good actually... It's like, the X Men playing soccer. Each monk has their own powers and it's quite nice to watch how their powers come together as a team. I just hope the subtitles/dubbing retains it's humour.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

Battle Royale the Japanese movie? I it!
    ok... so Shao Lin Soccer came out 2 years ago here in Hong Kong.
    It was like a great hit but now you can get VCD's here at $1.5 US there are some jokes foreign countries might not get but hopefully it would be popular in the US

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast