+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About Schmidt - 12/13

About Schmidt - 12/13

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: Warren Schmidt is a retired insurance salesman, who at age 66, has no particular plans other than to drive around in the motor home his wife insisted they buy. He's not altogether bitter, but not happy either, as everything his wife does annoys him, and he disapproves of the man his daughter is about to marry. When his wife suddenly dies, he sets out to postpone the imminent marriage of his daughter to a man he doesn't like, while coping with discoveries about his late wife and himself in the process.
    Cast and role:

Jack Nicholson - Warren Schmidt
    Hope Davis - Jeannie
    Dermot Mulroney - Randall
    Kathy Bates - Roberta
    James Crawley - Dave Goberson
    Howard Hesseman - Larry
    Len Cariou - Ken
    Tung Ha - Phil Choi

Rated: R
    "That's Numberwang!"

This looks like an interesting movie. But I think Jack is beginning to get typecast as the crotchety old guy, and I hate to see that happening to him.

I think this could be an interesting movie, but feel that Jack might be too much of a presence to play the role.
    He commands every scene he's in and I wonder if the lead role needs to be played by someone a little more under-stated.
    That's just what I get from reading the synopsis.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Princess
    I watched the review of this one on Ebert and Roeper last night and it got two big thumbs up! They said both Jack N and Katie Bates are acting brilliantly.

Jack is a great actor, but he does tend to take up every scene he's in. He's just got a commanding stage presence.

Kathy Bates is a wonderful actress. She has a huge range, and does them all well. I can honestly say I haven't seen her in anything I thought she didn't do great in. Well, maybe the squirrel thing in Rat Race, but she even made that her own.

Princess
    I agree John, he (Jack N) certainly has a very charismatic personality that it is difficult to hide no matter what he plays. But since I like him, I don't really care too much .

+ Reply to Thread