+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Reckoning - 03/05

The Reckoning - 03/05

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: In 14th-century England, a young monk breaks his vow of chastity and flees the wrath of his bishop and fellow monks. A fugitive priest, he then witnesses the murder of a traveling performer--and subsequently, the mourning of actor by his fellow troupe members. He eventually becomes initiated into the troupe as a player, replacing the murdered man. They travel from town to town performing their standard morality play. They arrive in a town where a boy has been killed and a young deaf-mute girl has been imprisoned for the crime--sentenced to death for witchcraft and murder. Discarding the expected bible stories, the actors stage a performance based on the crime. Through the performance of the play, they discover that the townspeople know the young woman did not, in fact, commit the murder. The stage becomes a place where vital human truth is told. Thus, simultaneously, the fugitive priest comes to terms with his own crime and makes a powerful sacrifice, thereby redeeming himself.
    Statistics

Genre(s):
    Adaptation
    Crime
    Drama
    Historical
    Period
    Thriller
    Rating: MPAA R
    Runtime: 110 mins.

Cast & Role

Willem Dafoe -- Martin
    Paul Bettany -- Nicholas
    Ewen Bremner -- Simon Damian
    Brian Cox -- Tobias
    Vincent Cassel -- Lord de Guise
    Gina McKee -- Sarah
    Simon McBurney -- Stephen
    Elvira Minquez -- Martha
    "That's Numberwang!"

I might have to see this one for the cast alone. I really like Brian Cox, Vincent Cassel, and Paul Bettany. I'm not always big on period pieces, but the story sounds rather interesting too.

I agree Zhora, excellent cast here, but the premise actually sounds quite interesting too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread