+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What a let down.

I agree with you, Wayner, on that one...The Red Violin was a really good movie...

Queen of all boards
    K, i said I would post it twice, and I try to live up to my promises..so...moulin rouge..(see panic room thread)
    Life is a game, play hard.

Princess
    Alien 3. What an unmitigated disaster that movie was, and I was SO excited to see it.
    Paulie, just read the entire thread. Alien 3, was actually the one that made me watch 1 & 2!! I liked it - and then I went to rent 1&2!! Of course the first one was the best (directed by Ridley Scott as is was), but I really like them all (#4 was a bit difficult to like, but I'm working on it)! The interesting thing with 1,2,3 is that they were directed by different, somewhat controversial directors, and that they appeared almost 10 years apart - with the same actor(ok - actress) in the leading role (Sigourney Weaver). #4 was also directed by some new director, but not that far apart in (real) time.
    I'm not ashamed to say that I have rented the entire series more than once - and watched them all in one day....

Alien 3 ruined the franchise, in my opinion, to the point that I never bothered to watch Alien 4. Problems with Alien 3:

- Total anonymity of the cast. Too many no-name bald guys. Who cares which one gets killed next?
    - The Alien is vulnerable. Hell, Roc even gets in a freakin' boxing match with it at the end! The frightening thing about the Alien is its total implacability and invincibility. That's what makes Ripley's victories over the Aliens so compelling.
    - The complete annihilation and trivialization of anything good that happened in Aliens. I understand that Ripley has to reach rock bottom because there's nothing to live for, but do we need to see the Newt autopsy in the first five minutes of the film?
    - The derivative "standard schlock horror" plot that drove most of the movie. Ho-hum. The bald guys are getting picked off by the Alien. How original.
    - The ridiculously poor "special effects" (and I use the term as loosely as possible) for Ripley's triumphant act at the end.

Alien 1 and Alien 2 were masterpieces of their respective forms (sci-fi horror and action thriller). Alien 3 was a wannabe "let's shock everyone with this!" piece of trash.

This is, of course, only my opinion. I'm pleased that one person on this planet actually enjoyed Alien 3. Means it was not a complete waste of celluloid.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Princess
    This is, of course, only my opinion. I'm pleased that one person on this planet actually enjoyed Alien 3. Means it was not a complete waste of celluloid.
    I would probably have been as negative as you if I'd watched 1&2 first... but I tend to be somewhat forgiving when I liked the first ones (Mad Max 1&2 were really good, and 3 was not very good but I just loved it to continue...)
    I really think that #2 wasn't that good - too much of action movie about it. Maybe that's why I liked #3 better - it was at least not your ordinary action movie, and had something of #1 flavour....
    Of course, just my completely unobjetive opinion!

Alien 1 and Alien 2 were masterpieces of their respective forms (sci-fi horror and action thriller). Alien 3 was a wannabe "let's shock everyone with this!" piece of trash.
    Paulie, I'm in total agreement with you.
    I loved Alien 1&2, but hated #3, which I've only seen it that one time. Modesty, I'm forgiving to the point that I'll watch the sequels. I did watch Alien4 even after the crappy Alien 3.
    The 4th installment wasn't as bad as 3, but it wasn't great. Nothing compared to Alien1 & 2.

Most disappointing to me....

Leaving Las Vegas

Just a depressing, uninspiring film. Both Nic Cage and Elizabeth Shue (who is Bill's definition of beautiful) are good actors, but the whole thing was one big ugh!

Of course the critics raved about it.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Princess
    "Leaving Las Vegas" - was that the one about the stolen money in a bag? (Not to spoil too much)

Originally posted by Modesty
    "Leaving Las Vegas" - was that the one about the stolen money in a bag? (Not to spoil too much)
    Nah, it is basically about addiction and depression. But it didn't have the multiple interweaved storyline and cinematography that Traffic had.

Here's a summary from IMdb:

"Ben Sanderson, a hard-core alcoholic, drives to Las Vegas after being fired from his film production job and divesting himself of all possessions. He plans to drink himself to death within four weeks. He meets Sera, a prostitute; they fall in love and he moves in with her. Each pledges not to try to change the other's chosen destiny, and they carry on a romance over Ben's last weeks."

Bill
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Princess
    Oh, thanks, well, that sounds really exciting.... not.... that's probably why I haven't even seen it

+ Reply to Thread