+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

The Passion

Is there already a thread for this movie? I didn't see one

I am really looking forward to seeing this film. From the clips I have seen I think it looks very well done and Mel Gibson appears to have really put his heart into making it.

I hate that people are turning it into an anti-semitic thing. It is just history and from all the interviews I have seen with Mr. Gibson he says over and over that it was not at all his intended message. I hope it does well at the theatres!

Quote Originally Posted by chadoe
    I hate that people are turning it into an anti-semitic thing. It is just history and from all the interviews I have seen with Mr. Gibson he says over and over that it was not at all his intended message. I hope it does well at the theatres!

FORT Fogey
    I am looking forward to seeing it too! I watched Mel Gibson on Primetime and I liked his interview. Sounds like he has come through a lot in recent years. I hope the movie is well received and that he doesn't take a lot of flack from Hollywood!

OHHHH I agree. He is a great director and actor so I hope he continues to get the respect he has certainly earned. I can appreciate that he did a film that was close to his heart and that he put much of himself into it. Based on his past record in the movie business he seems to be a perfectionist for example Braveheart so I would imagine this will be no less of a great film.

I am going to get early tickets tommorow.

That Crazy Red-Head! CopperPenny's Avatar
    I love Mel, but I'm not interested in seeing this movie for two reasons:

1. I'm not religious
    2. It looks too violent

FORT Fogey
    Yea, it is supposed to be violent because it focuses on the last 12 hours of Christ's life. Which was when he was crucified and well crucifiction was pretty violent. Mel Gibson said on Primetime he wanted it to be as real as possible so that people would then be aware of the enormity of the sacrafice made. Sort of like Saving Private Ryan I guess, hard to show D-day w/out showing violence.

Quote Originally Posted by chadoe
    Is there already a thread for this movie? I didn't see one

I am really looking forward to seeing this film. From the clips I have seen I think it looks very well done and Mel Gibson appears to have really put his heart into making it.

:rolleyes

To say that this movie is "just history" is wrong. To say it is Mel Gibson's take on religious history might be a more accurate statement. Gibson himself has said that the film "is my version of what happened, according to the Gospels and what I wanted to show, the aspects of it I wanted to show."

Gibson is a devout follower of a Roman Catholic splinter group that believes in a Latin Mass and rejects changes made in the Church by Vatican II. As recently as this week, Gibson's dad went on radio to reiterate his belief that most of the Holocaust is "fiction." Biblical scholars have called Gibson's reading of the New Testament into question, and rumors have floated that the script's sources allegedly include an 18th-century Roman Catholic mystic. How can you say that is "just history"?

I haven't been invited to one of the private screenings of the film, and I highly doubt that I'll even see it when it is in wide release in the next couple of weeks. But, from what I've read, it doesn't sound like Gibson is doing all that much to really curb the cries of anti-Semitism. On the one hand, he says the film is not anti-Semitic and he is so hurt by the accusations. Yet, when private screenings are arranged for members of the religious communities and others, signs are posted saying that "No members of the media and no Jews" are allowed inside the screening room (I have read in a couple of places that that has been done). Sounds to me like Gibson and TPTB behind this film are talking out of both sides of their mouth.
    Last edited by lobeck; 02-20-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Oh, and Chadoe...your avatar is so similar to Firegirl's. Interesting...

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    Oh, and Chadoe...your avatar is so similar to Firegirl's. Interesting...
    I was thinkin' the same thing, Lobes.

FORT Fan
    I do want to see this film.

I did not like that interview (was it with Diane Sawyer)? It felt rather scripted and defensive to me, not genuine - I don't know...I just didn't get a good feel from him. Someone else made a remark about Mel and his father talking out of both sides of their mouths, and I have that sense, too.

The anti-Semitic question is interesting. If the film depicts events as they are described in the biblical texts, which describe one group of Jewish people as having some involvement, along with the Romans, in the circustances surrounding the crucifixion, does that make it Anti-Semitic? I don't think that alone does. Was Amistad racist? Biography of Malcolm X? We could go on and on...

There is the whole disgusting history in which persecution of the Jews was called justified because they deemed Jesus-killers; to me that has to do with politics and the foul side of humanity, not with religion or the words on the page of a religious text, but is is a long and vicious history, the atrocities are not ancient history, and anti-Semitism still exists today. I don't belive any of this history should be dismissed, but I don't believe it should censor us now, either. I have seen feedback from Jews having viewed this film who described it as not anti-Semitic, and others who did.

So what was the filmakers intent? I do wonder if there is not anti-Semitism there. Given what has been reported about Gibson's father, who gave alot of money to help produce this film, and what is being reported about its distribution and screenings, I think there is some ugly motivation here. But, as a viewer, I have enough critical faculties to separate these things, as will lots of viewers - but, sadly, not all of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast