+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    The *movie* is in Aramaic? I thought that was a dead language.
    As a Religious Studies major, I was thinking the same thing. But there was an interview with one of the top scholars in ancient languages. or something similar, on NPR, and apparently a younger dialect of it is still spoken in Somalia. He also suggested that they probably would have been speaking more Greek than Latin by then...maybe this speaks to Gibson's preference for Latin, a la pre-Vatican 2 liturgy?

Gosh, Libra4, I asked my husband about this who is a linguist and he said the same thing; that aramaic is not a dead language (although it's dying) and that more likely Jesus spoke Greek. I guess the religious scholars and linguists can duke it out.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Saw it last night. EXCELLENT!

The theater was packed and silent. (Not a single cell phone rang! )

Many people were sitting in their seats and not moving once the lights came up. The crowd kinda trickled out. Lots of sniffling and red eyes.

The subtitles are really minor and you don't miss a thing reading them. Really, you could see the movie w/o the subtitles and know exactly what was going on.

SPOILER AHEAD (highlight to read)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The tears welled up on me in the scene with the flashback of her running to comfort him as a little boy because he had fallen down and was hurt, and then showing her holding him because he had just stumbled and fallen down with the cross. My husband was even crying! Very moving and touching!
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

FORT Fogey
    rcm, I was wondering what the spoiler could be... I was thinking something like... in then end, Jesus dies or something

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    My husband and I saw the movie.....Im still trying to process it. It was so raw and powerful. THe theater was packed and had showings every half hour. You could hear people sobbing, men women, teenagers. It was such a diverse crowd. Hispanics, Whites, Blacks, Asians...old, young...It was very nice to see.
    My husband who doesnt really show emotion was crying...especially while Christ was carrying the cross.
    It certainly was NOT Anti-Semitic. And to challenge the people who say its the most violent film ever??? I guess they didnt see Kill Bill or any other action movie in the last 15 years. The violence is hard to watch in this movie, because Jesus is a real person to many. I think that 's what is hard about it, that someone actually went through this.

Kudos to Mel Gibson.
    Oh , and that Satan was scarier than anything!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    rcm, I was wondering what the spoiler could be... I was thinking something like... in then end, Jesus dies or something
    I was really shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    Oh , and that Satan was scarier than anything!
    Yes, creepy, definitely!

We thought it interesting that his face was neither feminine or masculine. The kind of face that could take on any sort of characteristic. (Satan uses many disguises and shapes to do his work.)
    Last edited by realitycrazmom; 02-28-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    realitycrazedmom- love your av! My husband thought Satan looked like David Bowie! It was actually played by a woman. Very androgenous looking. Your right Satan takes many shapes and forms to do his work.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

David Bowie!

I, too, was surprised that a woman played the role of satan. Wonder what message Mel was trying to convey there?

I saw it last night. It's definitely a powerful film. It's more visual than verbal, so the subtitles weren't that bad.

Jim Cavaziel's performance was outstanding. He portrayed Jesus with so much emotion. I cried during alot all throughout the movie, but the one scene that was gut-wrenching for me was when Jesus showed fear and asks God to save him from what is about to happen to him. That just made it more real for me.

As far as the violence is concerned, yeah, it's definitley violent, but does anyone (believers of the faith) really think that it was a cakewalk for Him?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    As far as the violence is concerned, yeah, it's definitley violent, but does anyone (believers of the faith) really think that it was a cakewalk for Him?
    I asked my husband if he thought if it was really that bloody. He believes it to be even worse than what was portrayed on screen (if you could imagine).

Just imagine what he must have gone through in Gethsemane? To suffer so hard that he literally sweat blood! No outer wounds, but the internal pain must have FAR outweighed any damage that could have possibly be done to his body. IMHO

+ Reply to Thread