+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

FORT Fogey
    They are abiding by rules I believe... the rule is that children need to be accompanied by a guardian who is over 18 (I believe)

I think you have to remember that the kind of violence shown in this film is not shown in a positive way (such as a war movie, where the hero fights in a bloody war and wins, and everyone's happy for him... not that there's anything wrong with those movies) The violence is directed towards the "hero" and it is shown in a negative light, if I had children that I felt were old enough (grade 4 or up, depending on maturity obviously is where I would draw the line) I would take them to see this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    I just read on BellSouth homepages an article about some churches possibly planning to show this movie to kids as educational piece (this is what I understood anyway). The movie is rated R for a reason, I find it incomprehensible that any church would object minors to an R rated movie. They from all institutions should abide rules and have some view to what is right and what is not.
    Oh for heaven's sake. Some people have no sense. Just because it's based on a story from the Bible doesn't meet it's fit for little kids to see. As you said, it's rated R for a reason. There is also sex and nudity in the Bible, but I don't think people would be lining up to let their kids see *that* for educational purposes. Why would you want your children to witness one of the most violent forms of execution conceived of by man?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    They are abiding by rules I believe... the rule is that children need to be accompanied by a guardian who is over 18 (I believe)
    You are right and they can do that. This goes slightly off topic now, and should be it's own thread probably, but I really think they ought to revise these ratings. They should go something like R equals age 18 if alone, and age 16 if in company of an adult, if you are under 16 there is no way you are allowed in, and so forth.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 02-25-2004 at 05:39 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I was just watching a show where they showed a bunch of people out side protesting this movie, and they haven't even seen it! They are not judging for themselves whether this move is anti-semetic or not. I can understand them not wanting to give up their money for this movie but at least judge for yourself if it is or it isn't and not listen to someone else.

That annoys me too, Clipse. I don't understand why people just take their church leader's word for it. They should judge for themselves how they feel about it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

i do want to see this movie, but i don't know if i can handle it in the threatre at least on video you can fast foward.

i think this movie will make a lot more people be thankful for what jesus did for all the people of the world and i think it will get more people going in the church doors, but only for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    From what I know, it doesn't matter what group crucified Christ (Romans or Jews)....it was Christ who gave himself up. It was God who took His life. The Gospels teach that it was the ultimate sacrifice in the hands of God Himself. For God so loved the world He gave His only Son.....

Any argument about the "bad guys" in the media is hype because as far as I'm concerned, like Mel Gibson's hands...I'm the bad guy.
    Very well-said Kaky. I think for the most part, the believers, are focusing on the real message of the movie which is,as you mentioned, His ultimate sacrifice.

I'll probably go and watch it this weekend, even though, I'm not too crazy about the subtitles.

It's sensei time! Masai & Pygmie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I think the amount of publicity that the movie, Mel and his father have received is disgusting.
    It would even be more disgusting if they had "Last Supper" packages at Pizza Hut with breakable crazy bread and combo pack special "blood of new covenent" cup holders with "host-like" flavour popcorn....

but I am sure there is paraphernalia out there - confirmations anyone

I'm about to duck.
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." -- Henry David Thoreau

FORT Fogey
    masai... thank goodness that hasn't happened...

My dad went to see it last night, cause he got free tickets since he teaches at a Bible College... He said it was a "powerful" movie, and that people weren't talking at all at the end... he said some people were talking in the parking lot afterwards, but it wasn't something that you could discuss afterwards... I'm planning on going next week with some friends.

I just posted and it got wiped out....grrr

I saw this last night and it was excellent IMO.

I have so much respect for Mel Gibson going ahead with a project with no one backing him up. I love he has that much faith.

I have not been moved by a film in that way in a long time (if ever)

It was heartbreaking but, really I'm at a loss for words. I thought it was beautifully done. It showed (IMO again) the good and evil IN ALL OF US.

+ Reply to Thread