+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    How many more people are going to foist their 'vision' and 'interpretation' on us?
    I don't believe that Mel Gibson or anybody is forcing their personal 'vision' on "us." Remember, this is just a movie--nobody's being forced to go see this. After all, when one with a conservative viewpoint makes a comment about a more liberal issue in the media (i.e. homosexuality or promiscuous sex,) the comment is often replied to with: "If you don't like it, don't watch it." The same applies here.

I think Mel Gibson is getting a whole lot of free publicity for a movie that no one really wanted made, he had to foot the bill himself.
    If he had to pay for the movie out of his own pocket, he wouldn't really be getting "free publicity."

The one thing that really baffles me is when messages with a liberal standpoint are considered "free speech," but it's a violation of "free speech" regarding anything presented from a religious standpoint. Aren't they both personal opinions? Hypocrisy anyone?
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; 02-25-2004 at 03:39 AM.

Absolutely Dirty Harry, just as this movie is Gibson's personal opinion (vision) of the events as he understands them. My point last night was supposed to be... why would a movie about a single person's interpretation of events cause such fervor?

that should teach me to post way past my bedtime

I don't understand why the opinion of one is expected to affect so many - and negatively at that. If this movie affects anyone in an adverse way I'd have to say that they were already in a 'senstive state' The media has been all over this story since the very beginning, pushing it in our faces, waiting for the backlash. If there is any backlash I'd be more inclined to blame the media rather than the movie.

IMO, the movie would have brought out faithful (and Faithful) movied goers anyway, now with all of the media attention the curosity seekers will be out in force. I think the amount of publicity that the movie, Mel and his father have received is disgusting.
    Dirty Harry if we were posting in the same threads and you knew me at all you would know that I would never condone censoring anyone's right to free speech - no matter how right or wrong ( ) they were.
    Religion is a super touchy subject and yes, I'll agree that hipocrasy exists, but not in this thread.

Enjoy the movie, dissect it until your heart's content, I choose not to, but I will be back to read everyone's reviews. Count me amoung the curosity seekers but only for your opinon - not the content. (of the movie)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
    If he had to pay for the movie out of his own pocket, he wouldn't really be getting "free publicity."
    If you aren't paying - it's free. I know you don't for a minute believe that he would have been able to afford to flood every market the way this movie, it's trailers and stars have permeated every facet of our tv screens - not on an Independant film's budget.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I don't think I will see this movie, ever. I do read with interest though what people write about it and follow what kind of emotions it wakes in people, the reactions tell a lot about our society (religious views, how deeply rooted religion is and where etc).
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

FORT Fogey
    duxx, I think you misunderstand... this is not the opinion of one person (MG) there's millions of Christians who believe the same thing that MG did... he didn't write this himself (while he did do some interpreting) it's something that millions of people around the world have believed, not trying to foist that belief on you, but just wanted to make it clear, that Mel isn't the only one with this belief, and if he was, I don't think there would be nearly the same amount of interest.

Most of the people I work with (I work for a Christian ministry) went to a screening of it this morning. I didn't go because my husband was not able to, and when I see it, I want to see it with him.

It has been very quiet here in the office since everyone got back. When I asked what their reactions were, most have said they are still too overwhelmed to talk about it - they are still processing it - and they just can't put words around it right now. They did say that the violence of the Crucifixion was very hard to watch. I don't recall anyone saying that the subtitles were a distraction, though - so that is a good thing.

I am very interested to hear what others who have seen it have to say, and I am glad that this is a place where everyone can share their thoughts/perspectives freely.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I want to see this movie. I love getting other perspectives here or on the movie. Whether it is truthfully detailed is subject to interpretation I know.

I'm not looking forward to the graphic nature of the film, but then, how could I turn my head as if in denial of what happened (or close to it)? I have zero qualms about how this film may or may not divide certain groups as I don't think it will happen. The story has been told and as I read somewhere concerning this film....it is not to point fingers....it is about what happened as a result of ALL sins.

Controversial for sure. I have to respect someone for spending 2 years and $25 million of their own money to get behind a project they believed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    Dirty Harry if we were posting in the same threads and you knew me at all you would know that I would never condone censoring anyone's right to free speech - no matter how right or wrong ( ) they were.
    Religion is a super touchy subject and yes, I'll agree that hipocrasy exists, but not in this thread.
    I know you wouldn't do that at all and I wasn't even implying that you would, my point was that the media has a double-standard with issues like this. So no worries Duxxy, there's no hostility coming from me.

I have to respect someone for spending 2 years and $25 million of their own money to get behind a project they believed in.
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; 02-25-2004 at 05:20 PM.

FORT Fan
    If anyone's wondering how it's doing with regard to film critics...it's currently hovering around the low50%s on Rottentomatoes.com, where 60%+ is considered fresh. Apparently a very divisive film and people either love it or hate it..main criticism seems to be that the film is far too violent and the violence often obscures the deeper meanings trying to be conveyed. Personally...I'm concerned about children seeing this film, because how many churches are planning on taking field trips and the like to see this? Roger Ebert has even referred to the film as the most violent movie he has EVER seen, and he's been around the theatrical block more than a few times.

I just read on BellSouth homepages an article about some churches possibly planning to show this movie to kids as educational piece (this is what I understood anyway). The movie is rated R for a reason, I find it incomprehensible that any church would object minors to an R rated movie. They from all institutions should abide rules and have some view to what is right and what is not.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

+ Reply to Thread