+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

The *movie* is in Aramaic? I thought that was a dead language.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    The *movie* is in Aramaic? I thought that was a dead language.
    I heard it was in Aramaic too... I have no idea what to expect... I've wanted to see this movie for quite a while...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

FORT Fogey
    I believe it is a dead language, in that nobody speaks it anymore, but that's the language that Jesus spoke, and I imagine they got scholars who could translate...

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Lobes, you shouldn't have kept your mouth shut. And if I came off as attacking in my response to your post, I sincerely apologize. I was trying to address the points in your post.

Amanda, thanks for the link to the Yahoo article.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I was gonna ask without sounding like a complete dork if the movie was going to be subtitled. I was getting the impression there weren't any?

I'll answer my own post I saw clips of the movie on O'Reilley tonight when he interviewed Mel. They had subtitles.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    Mel Gibson's father said it not Mel Gibson.

. The films message isn't about who is responsible anyway. It is about the suffering Christ went through the last twelve hours of his life.
    Thanks for pointing this out firegirl!
    I would sure as hell hate it if everyone felt that I share my parent's views on everything. I am in agreement with them about a lot of things, but some of my Dad's views about race are ridiculous, as are some of my Mom's ideas about morality.
    Mel Gibson is nearly 50 years old (I thought he was older, not aging well at all!) so I'm going to assume that he forms his own opinions about things.
    Mel's father is over 80 years old...believe me, sometimes when these old folks decide to say what they think and the hell with anyone else, it can get ugly.
    There's plenty of times I would love to say, "Just dammit, Dad (or Mom),could you PLEASE shut up! If thats what you think, OK, but keep a lid on it wouldya!"
    Of course I don't say that to them, so no pm's telling me to be nice to my parents!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    there ARE subtitles?? aww... I was hoping there wouldn't be.. subtitles kinda cheapen a movie like this.. i'd rather not understand it...but w/e..
    Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 02-24-2004 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
    there ARE subtitles?? aww... I was hoping there wouldn't be.. subtitles kinda cheapen a movie like this.. i'd rather not understand it...but w/e..
    Actually, I heard that originally Mel Gibson did not want subtitles, and did not include them in his early screenings of the movie, but most of the people he showed this movie to suggested they be put in so people could "better understand the story."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
    Actually, I heard that originally Mel Gibson did not want subtitles, and did not include them in his early screenings of the movie, but most of the people he showed this movie to suggested they be put in so people could "better understand the story."
    You're correct, DH. I remember reading an interview with Monica Bellucci several months ago in which she said the film was "in Latin, Hebrew, and Aramaic without subtitles."

I won't be seeing this movie, not at the theater or on video.
    How many more people are going to foist their 'vision' and 'interpretation' on us?
    I remember the hoopla that surrounded The Last Temptation of Christ, I think Mel Gibson is getting a whole lot of free publicity for a movie that no one really wanted made, he had to foot the bill himself.

I'll tell Mel Gibson the same thing I tell the Mormons that knock on my door every once in a while and the Johova Witnesses that knock on my door once a week... I have my beliefs, no, I don't care to share them with you, yes, I will call you if I ever feel the need to share, no, I'm not interested in taking your literature.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread