+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

Here is a short commentary and link to some recent articles touching on the posted subjects. Very interesting. http://www.dove.org/frames.asp?URL=n...ink/hu0402.htm

I am sorry I don't think I did the linking thing right.

“The Passion of the Christ,” a film by Mel Gibson

Here is a collection of recent articles written about the controversial film by Mel Gibson depicting the last twelve hours of Jesus. Some of the controversy lies within the stories themselves. For example; did or did not the Pope endorse the film? And, is or is not the movie anti-Semitic? To coin a phrase from FOX News Channel “We report…you decide.”

The Passion of the Christ: Three Points of View - Dick Rolfe

Until I was given the “green light” to speak publicly, I could only say, “It was the most powerful visual presentation of the last twelve hours of Jesus Christ I’ve ever seen.” Then, I’d add a few adjectives like, moving, thought-provoking, and transforming. I tried watching the two-hour-plus epic from three points of view; as a critic, a Christian, and a non-Christian. (more)

Anti-Defamation League bothered by Mel Gibson's "The Passion of The Christ"

Frequently asked questions. Sept. 11, 2003
    Q. What is the basis for ADL's concerns about "The Passion of The Christ"?
    A. ADL's concerns are based on a close study of an early screenplay and a viewing of the film on August 8, at which Mel Gibson was present. (more)

Jews and Christians are watching different films - Dennis Prager
    Oct 28, 2003 --The increasing tension over this film has reinforced impressions I offered Mel Gibson that day. When watching "The Passion," Jews and Christians are watching two entirely different films. For two hours, Christians watch their Savior tortured and killed. For the same two hours, Jews watch Jews arrange the killing and torture of the Christians' Savior. (more)

Crucifying Mel Gibson - Michael Medved
    A serious filmmaker would normally feel gratified if his cinematic work inspired impassioned debate, intense emotional response, detailed analysis, even raging controversy. Well in advance of his picture's release, Mel Gibson has already produced that sort of reaction with The Passion of the Christ, his brutal, graphic, and lyrical account of the last 12 hours in the life of Christ. But Gibson insists he neither expected nor wanted the bitter arguments over the allegedly anti-Semitic content of the film. (more)

"The Passion" gets a thumbs-up from the Pope.
    - Peggy Noonan, for the Wall Street Journal
    Dec. 17, 2003 -- Here's some happy news this Christmas season, an unexpected gift for those who have seen and admired Mel Gibson's controversial movie, "The Passion," and wish to support it. The film has a new admirer, and he is a person of some influence. He is in fact the head of the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church. (more)

ADL Reacts To Reports the Pope Has Screened Mel Gibson's Film
    – release from the Anti-Defamation League
    Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today reacted to media reports that Pope John Paul II recently previewed Mel Gibson's film, "The Passion of Christ" and indicated through an intermediary his approval of its account of the events leading up to the Crucifixion of Jesus. (more)

“Pope never commented on Gibson's 'Passion' film,” says papal secretary
    By Cindy Wooden Catholic News Service
    Jan 19, 2004 -- Pope John Paul II never said "It is as it was" after watching Mel Gibson's film on the passion of Jesus, said the pope's longtime personal secretary, Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz. (more)

5,000 pastors cheer Mel Gibson's 'Passion' Julia Duin THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Jan 24, 2004 -- ORLANDO, Fla. — Famed film actor and producer Mel Gibson told 5,000 pastors yesterday that "there will always be opposition" to films on the Gospel, "but you have to stand your ground and slug it out." (more)

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'm going to go see this movie (of course, I'm not sure when it's coming out, but I'm sure I'll get around to it)

I've always been a huge fan of Mel Gibson (and not just because he's great to look at )

The movie is based on a book. Whether or not the "book" is accurate is another discussion imo.

I believe if Hollywood and the media wouldn't have made such a big deal about this, the movie would have have had a mediocre performance at the theater, but now many people will go see it just to see what all the hoopla is about.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Also, I'd be interested in reading the stuff you mentioned about the Biblical Scholars that have called Gibson's reading into question.
    I want to preface this by saying that I don't care about this movie one way or another. Or, I suppose, I *do*, but I'm not looking to argue about it here. I just remembered that Wayner had asked this question the other day, and I came across
    this article on Yahoo news. It's fairly long, so I'm not going to paste the entire text here. But there you have it, Wayner.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFan
    I'm going to go see this movie (of course, I'm not sure when it's coming out, but I'm sure I'll get around to it)
    BF, it's going to be released tomorrow, Ash Wednesday.

The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

The Passion of the Christ (2004)

Synopsis:*A depiction of the last twelve hours in the life of Jesus of Nazareth, on the day of his crucifixion in Jerusalem. The story opens in the Garden of Olives where Jesus has gone to pray after the Last Supper. Betrayed by Judas Iscariot, the controversial Jesus--who has performed 'miracles' and has publicly announced that he is 'the Son of God'--is arrested and taken back within the city walls of Jerusalem. There, the leaders of the Pharisees confront him with accusations of blasphemy; subsequently, his trial results with the leaders condemning him to his death. Jesus is brought before Pontius Pilate, the Roman Governor of Palestine, for his sentencing. Pilate listens to the accusations leveled at Jesus by the Pharisees. Realizing that his own decision will cause him to become embroiled in a political conflict, Pilate defers to King Herod in deciding the matter of how to persecute Jesus. However, Herod returns Jesus to Pilate who, in turn, gives the crowd a choice between which prisoner they would rather to see set free--Jesus, or Barrabas. The crowd chooses to have Barrabas set free. Thus, Jesus is handed over to the Roman soldiers and is brutally flagellated. Bloody and unrecognizable, he is brought back before Pilate who, once again, presents him to the thirsty crowd--assuming they will see that Jesus has been punished enough. The crowd, however, is not satisfied. Thus, Pilate washes his hands of the entire dilemma, ordering his men to do as the crowd wishes. Whipped and weakened, Jesus is presented with the cross and is ordered to carry it through the streets of Jerusalem, all the way up to Golgotha. There, more corporal cruelty takes place as Jesus is nailed to the cross--suffering, he hangs there, left to die. Initially, in his dazed suffering, Jesus is alarmed that he has been abandoned by God his father. Eventually, he overcomes his fear and with his last breaths, tells Mary, his Mother, "It is accomplished." He then beseeches God, "Into Thy hands I command my spirit." At the moment of his death, nature itself over-turns. *

Statistics
    Genre(s): Adaptation, Biopic, Religion Rating:*Not available* Runtime:*Not available Theatrical Release:* 02/25/2004

Cast & Role
    *Jim Caviezel - Jesus
    *Maia Morgenstern - Virgin Mary
    *Monica Bellucci - Mary Magdalene
    *Mattia Sbragia - Ciaphas--The High Priest
    *Hristo Shopov - Pontius Pilate
    *Claudia Gerini - Claudia Procles--Pilate's Wife
    *Luca Lionello - Judas Iscariot
    *Rosalinda Celentano - Satan

Crew & Credit
    *Mel Gibson Director & Producer

I'm definitely going to try to see this one, though the flogging and crucifixion scenes will probably be very disturbing.

Ugh, even though I'd like to check this movie out, I don't think I can handle the cruxifiction scenes.
    Gustav Holst was right!

I heard that this movie uses Latin as the language. I really want to check it out, but I really don't like going to the theatre to watch movies with subtitles. I usually wait to see them on video.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I heard that this movie uses Latin as the language. I really want to check it out, but I really don't like going to the theatre to watch movies with subtitles. I usually wait to see them on video.

I was gonna ask without sounding like a complete dork if the movie was going to be subtitled. I was getting the impression there weren't any?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

FORT Fogey
    I believe it was Aramaic, not Latin...

+ Reply to Thread