+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 212

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

  1. #21
    FORT Fogey eldee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,545
    Wayner, good post.

    Bumpkin, you should be able to post your opinion/beliefs no matter how strong or different they may be from others, without being criticized!

  2. #22
    Owned by a Wiener Dog Kaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas!
    Posts
    409
    I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I've heard awesome things about it, saw Mel Gibson's interviews and believe that there is alot of media hype regarding the political/religious protests surrounding this.

    From what I know, it doesn't matter what group crucified Christ (Romans or Jews)....it was Christ who gave himself up. It was God who took His life. The Gospels teach that it was the ultimate sacrifice in the hands of God Himself. For God so loved the world He gave His only Son.....

    Any argument about the "bad guys" in the media is hype because as far as I'm concerned, like Mel Gibson's hands...I'm the bad guy.
    Fabulous Fifty

    Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

  3. #23
    Mmmmm.. Nice... Terena79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    BTW, where did you see the reports that there were signs up that said "No Jews" at the screenings? I'd be interested in knowing just how reliable those sources are.
    I'd like to know the sources, too. I find that hard to believe. If it were true, wouldn't it be mentioned everywhere the movie is mentioned? And if it is true, I'd like to hear whatever justification Gibson has for it.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

  4. #24
    Mmmmm.. Nice... Terena79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    From what I know, it doesn't matter what group crucified Christ (Romans or Jews)....it was Christ who gave himself up. It was God who took His life. The Gospels teach that it was the ultimate sacrifice in the hands of God Himself. For God so loved the world He gave His only Son.....
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

  5. #25
    FORT Fogey eldee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,545
    Re: provoking anti-semitism due to the death of Christ. Do they forget that Jesus is Jewish? IMO, if people want to be prejudice or behave in any type of a lawless manner toward a group of people, they don't need outside influence for it.

    Re: the blood and harshness of the portrayal of the death of Christ. I say, show it. I also agree that in war movies that they should not be "romanticized" and should show the brutality of war. This should be done without over powering the actual message of the movie.

  6. #26
    Never a dull moment! chrelsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    50
    Posts
    708
    I really do enjoy reading everyone's perspective and thoughts on this movie. I, personally, will go see it, I just haven't decided when.

    I work for a Christian ministry whose founder is very well known in the Christian community. Several in our office went to a private screening several months ago when Mel Gibson was personally in town and looking for feedback from many different denominational leaders. Everything I have heard from those who have already seen it is that it is great. Do I think it will be controversial? Well, of course - it already is. Do I think it will get people to thinking and talking? Yes - it already has. And that's a good thing.

    I just hope that those who see it will do so with an open mind - regardless of what their beliefs are, and regardless of what MG's beliefs are - and that it can continue to be a catalyst in prompting discussions.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

  7. #27
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Waiting to watch the red carpet
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey
    I really do enjoy reading everyone's perspective and thoughts on this movie. I, personally, will go see it, I just haven't decided when.

    I work for a Christian ministry whose founder is very well known in the Christian community. Several in our office went to a private screening several months ago when Mel Gibson was personally in town and looking for feedback from many different denominational leaders. Everything I have heard from those who have already seen it is that it is great. Do I think it will be controversial? Well, of course - it already is. Do I think it will get people to thinking and talking? Yes - it already has. And that's a good thing.

    I just hope that those who see it will do so with an open mind - regardless of what their beliefs are, and regardless of what MG's beliefs are - and that it can continue to be a catalyst in prompting discussions.
    That is awesome ! Who do you work with? Tickes are sold out almost all showings here for about a week.
    I really don't believe it is Mel Gibson's goal to fuel anti-semitic feelings.
    I loved the part about his had being the one to hold the nail symbolizing that ALL of humanity is responsible for nailing Christ up there!

  8. #28
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    283
    I am not planning on seeing this movie, the subject matter doesn't interest me, and plus it is three hours long (I think?) and in Latin, so yeah no. I'm sick of hearing about the movie on every media outlet imaginable though, and I think Mel Gibson should write a check to the person who first uttered the word "anti-Semitic" when referring to the film, because this film is receiving great publicity and is going to make a ton of money. I've only seen clips of Mel Gibson's interview with Diane Sawyer, and he came across to me as being pretentious and like someone said, overly defensive. And keep in mind he didn't make this movie out of the goodness of his heart -- if that is so then I'd like to see all the money go to charity or church reformation or anything reputable instead of Mel Gibson's wallet which I doubt is in need of any more additional funds. Something about the whole controversy surrounding the film feels contrived, especially since this movie probably wouldn't make as much money as it is going to make without the controversy. Anyway this weekend I'm more drawn to seeing the new Ashley Judd movie, you know the stereotypical thriller where someoone is trying to kill her and you know how it's going to end as soon as you see Ashley Judd's name appear on screen. For some reason I am bizarrely drawn to them time and time again.

  9. #29
    For Your Entertainment lobeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Age
    50
    Posts
    14,903
    First of all, I haven't been in this thread since my original post, so I'm just now getting around to responding to your post, Wayner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Hi Lobes,
    I'd like to take a moment to respond to a few of the points you raised.
    1. Gibson's church. If you're saying that there's something wrong with his beliefs because of the church he attends, or you have a problem with him because of the church he attends, then what you're saying is that you fundamentally have a problem with every Catholic prior to Vatican II.Yes, it's a "splinter" from the Catholic Church. So is the Church of England. So are plenty of other churches. I think if you were to look up the origins of every Christian church, you'd find it splintered from another one.
    Wayner, come on...I do not "have a problem with every Catholic prior to Vatican II". I'm not saying there's anything wrong with splinter churches. You're right...almost every Christian church is a splinter church off of a different one. Don't shoot the messenger, Wayner...I just copied/pasted a lot of my post from an article at the CNN website.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    2. Gibson's father. Yes, Gibson's father said those things. Not Gibson. Gibson has flatly stated that he believes the Holocaust took place. If every one of us was held responsible for what our fathers say, then I'd be considered a racist and a homophobe. I'd like to think I'm not considered any of those things, because I certainly don't hold to my father's beliefs on those, or most subjects.
    Again, I'm just reporting what I read in other places. I have not read where Gibson does/does not believe the Holocaust took place, but if you say he believes that it did, I have no reason to doubt you. I just found it interesting that his father has such extreme(?) views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    3. Rumors. There are rumors floating that I'm an alien from the planet Xyrbcon.
    :rolleyes

    I didn't present those rumors as fact. I mentioned in my post that they're rumors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    4. History. I agree with your statement that this is a film, based on the four gospels, and with Gibson's own slant. I also believe that historical documents not related to the Bible claim that Jesus did exist, that he was crucified, and many other facts that relate to the story of Jesus in the Bible. I can't quote them, because I'm not a Biblical Scholar.
    OK...not sure I understand your point here, but maybe I'm just being toopid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    I'm really surprised that this film has stirred up so much angst and it hasn't even been released yet.
    See, this I find surprising.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    And Lobes, I hope my tone here wasn't too tense - you know I love you. BNIAPWOC. BTW, where did you see the reports that there were signs up that said "No Jews" at the screenings? I'd be interested in knowing just how reliable those sources are.
    I heard about that from my priest. Take that for what it's worth. I haven't seen/read it myself, but I certainly have no reason to believe that my priest would make it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Also, I'd be interested in reading the stuff you mentioned about the Biblical Scholars that have called Gibson's reading into question.
    Again, I just copied/posted that from a CNN article I read. Sorry I can't provide you with the link.

    Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut...

  10. #30
    Blue Mooooooooon Blue Meanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Between neutrons
    Posts
    596
    Lobeck, you know you shouldn't have kept your mouth shut. Discourse is good. From my point of view, the confusion in your original post was I didn't realize that it was info being relayed from a CNN article. I'm the type of person who wants to "verify" what I hear or see snippets of, and then I will read the entire article and make an informed decision from that. I hope you don't feel anyone is attacking you personally. People are going to have far-differing opinions of this film, and we all need to respect one another's opinions--whether we agree with them or not.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.