+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    I saw the movie with a group from my church and I was so moved! Another thing that my pastor said was not biblical was the crow pecking the thief's eyes out. But in defense of MG, There was not a single thing I saw in that movie that would even remotely make me consider it anti-semitic. As far as the violence goes, I have to agree with one of the other posts (can't remember which one). You have to make it violent to fully understand what He went through. I joked with a friend of mine and said "Do they think that these soldiers just walked up to Jesus with the sticks and whips and just gave him little love-taps?" No. Crucifixion is the worst kind of pain anyone could've gone through back then.
    I heard Mel Gibson talking about the crow thing and it wasn't a Biblical thing so much as a reality of crucifixion. He also mentioned that those being crucified had to contend with maggots, crows waiting and trying to peck out eyes stuff like that. It was his following up on his research of the reality of punishment and showing it as it was. I would bet a lot of people didn't know that the part that usually killed them was suffocating and that is why they put a board under the condemmed's feet so it would be slow and agonizing as they were able to keep pushing up to get a breath which would prolong the suffering. That is why they broke the legs of the thiefs beside him so they would die. The weight of their bodies hanging made them suffocate.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    Unfortunately this is not Biblical. Mel took a lot of poetic license when it came to Satan in this movie. That was one of my big gripes about this movie. That and the Satan children that were tormenting Judas, right before he hung himself.

Thank God that the real message of Christ was correct and his performance was incredible. So just a little nitpicking there!

Chris
    mrpayroll, Gibson based the screenplay on not only the gospels, but on other sources including, I believe, the writings of an 18th-century Roman Catholic nun. I think the portrayal of Satan in the film was based on a vision she wrote of. I don't remember where I read that though, so don't quote me.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom
    I, too, was surprised that a woman played the role of satan. Wonder what message Mel was trying to convey there?
    In his interview with Diane Sawyer, I recall Gibson saying that he believes that evil doesn't let us know it's evil when we see it in life, that it comes to us as something alluring. And that is why he chose to make Satan look the way he did. Frankly, I couldn't be sure the performer was a man or a woman until the credits rolled at the end.

FORT Newbie
    The only way I could tell it was a woman was no adams apple! I think he tried to make it sort of sickly beautiful and attractive in a way. Did you notice the shaved eyebrows? He also used a mans voice when it spoke.

The satan character was indeed creepy. Although not biblically accurate to the gospels in its protrayal over those last 12 hours, I thought the character represented many scenes from what we know about satan:

Genesis 3:15 God told the serpent/satan: I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed. He shall crush you on the head and you will bruise him on the heel. (first prophecy about Jesus as the seed of virgin and his struggle with our enemy satan)...Scholars say that Jesus crushed satan on the cross while Jesus was bruised.

When I saw the opening scene in Gethsemane, it reminded me of this prophecy and that although I hadn't seen the movie, I knew its ending. The defeat of satan and sin, the victory of my Savior.

Lots of scenes with the satan character and what he said reminded me of other scenes and verses which define and describe satan.

The character was indeed creepy and more.

Edited per member request.
    Last edited by John; 03-03-2004 at 07:56 PM.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    (first prophecy about Jesus as the seed of virgin and satan)
    Careful with that! People might think that the seed of Jesus came from Satan!

Chris

ha....of course I meant....

Jesus as the seed of virgin Mary...

I'll try to edit that to make sure it doesn't read like that. LOL
    Fabulous Fifty

Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    (first prophecy about Jesus as the seed of virgin and satan)
    That's actually the prequel to The Passion!

Chris

Yup...that garden of eden scene...foreshadowing the cross.

Its just that poor satan hasn't read the book and doesn't know that he lost....poor thang.
    Fabulous Fifty

Edited per member request.
    Thank you.
    Fabulous Fifty

+ Reply to Thread