+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Christ - 02/25/04

I just saw it tonight. I don't really know how to describe it...intense, sad, shocking. It was a very good movie though. I also thought the devil was androgenous-looking. It creeped me out when she was carrying that deformed and scary "baby."

FORT Newbie
    I saw this movie this weekend. I feel fairly certain I would recgnize anti-semitism whan I see it and well, this really isn't it! I think you have to WANT to see it for that to be the message you take home from this film.

The film is violent but not gratitous. It is true Mel Gibson quallity. I think it would have been truly best for the majority fo the critics to see tht film before judging or speculating. Oh and ummmm so where are the violent Christians attacking the Jews for their role in the crucifiction? Just haven't heard of anyone jumping on the hate Jews band wagon yet as a result.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar

great post pwincess! :0
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    I just came back from seeing this... and all I have to say is: " " ...

aka: it left me completely speechless... it was incredible, powerful, mindblowing, intense.. although I still would have probably enjoyed it more with less dialogue and having it completely in Aramaic and Latin w/o subtitles... but other than that... it was amazing

and for all the people saying it was historically innacurate.. well.. there are so few accounts and so many different interpretations, Gibson said himself the experts he consulted each often contradicted eachother, so he just went with his gut...

Quote Originally Posted by pwincess
    Oh and ummmm so where are the violent Christians attacking the Jews for their role in the crucifiction? Just haven't heard of anyone jumping on the hate Jews band wagon yet as a result.
    I hate to say it, but yesterday there was an incedent here of a car being purposefully set on fire out back behind a Jewish worship center. The news report last night said that since it was deliberately set, they think it was as a result of The Passion. Sad. So very sad that that is the first thing that they would think - the first bandwagon that they would jump on.

FYI - My 14 year-old daughter saw the movie with her dad yesterday and echoed what most others here have said - it was incredible - but she was left speechless. I still can't wait to see it!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey
    I hate to say it, but yesterday there was an incedent here of a car being purposefully set on fire out back behind a Jewish worship center. The news report last night said that since it was deliberately set, they think it was as a result of The Passion. Sad. So very sad that that is the first thing that they would think - the first bandwagon that they would jump on.

FYI - My 14 year-old daughter saw the movie with her dad yesterday and echoed what most others here have said - it was incredible - but she was left speechless. I still can't wait to see it!

Sounds like the speculation it the main word. Since noone definately said that was why. Leave it to the media to make it into something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    From what I know, it doesn't matter what group crucified Christ (Romans or Jews)....it was Christ who gave himself up. It was God who took His life. The Gospels teach that it was the ultimate sacrifice in the hands of God Himself. For God so loved the world He gave His only Son.....
    ..I'm the bad guy.
    I agree, Kaky. I look at it from the standpoint that this was done because of my sins. (and the sins of all humanity).

I saw this movie the night it opened. Our church rented the theater. It was a very powerful and moving movie. I cried through most of the movie.

Lastly, Mel did say he doesn't believe what his father believes about the holocaust on the Diane Sawyer interview. He knows that the holocaust occured and that 6 million people died at the hands of a madman. (I apologize if this has already been brought up, I just read the first page then posted)
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Couple of more points (too late to edit previous post, sorry)

This is a very violent film. Our pastor suggested that we not bring kids. Our teens came but no kids. I wouldn't even think of exposing my daughter to this film. She is only 6...I think it would scar her.

As for the Aramaic and Latin...it made the movie seem more realistic to me. There wasn't that much dialog and not many subtitles, either.

I would highly reccomend this movie, but only if you have a strong stomach for blood and violence. If you don't, this movie isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    That annoys me too, Clipse. I don't understand why people just take their church leader's word for it. They should judge for themselves how they feel about it.
    I call them sheeple.

Personally, if I went to a church where you weren't allowed to think for yourself, I would leave. I like to be able to form my own opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    I agree, Kaky. I look at it from the standpoint that this was done because of my sins. (and the sins of all humanity).

I saw this movie the night it opened. Our church rented the theater. It was a very powerful and moving movie. I cried through most of the movie.

Lastly, Mel did say he doesn't believe what his father believes about the holocaust on the Diane Sawyer interview. He knows that the holocaust occured and that 6 million people died at the hands of a madman. (I apologize if this has already been brought up, I just read the first page then posted)
    As I saw this movie on opening night, I haven't been able to hear a song that the words aren't more meaningful, more defined and more understanding after seeing the film.

As for the comments about Mel Gibson's dad....My MIL doesn't believe the holocost happened. She is 77 years old, raised in Germany....and thinks it is jewish propaganda to get sympathy for the jews.

Does my husband agree with his mom? No way! She has largely bigoted views on almost anyone that isn't blue-eyed. Do I agree with her? No way! I know from witnesses, both historical and personal, that the holocost was a real and horrible set of events that I'm profoundly horrified by.

The same is true for our children. THere are many things my teen/young adult children have done that I do not agree with nor condone. It makes them still my children...(just as my MIL is still my family) but doesn't mean we all think the same because we come from the same gene pool.

Those who believe Mel Gibson must believe as his dad because he is the son...needs to look at their own family members and ask: If they came out in public claiming they believe such and such...is that something I can stand up to the scrutiny? Do I agree with *all* my family members... and want them representing me?

Ha! Not me.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

+ Reply to Thread