+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Complete List of Nominees for the 76th Academy Awards

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    The only thing is that for the SAG Awards, KC-H was nominated as Best Supporting Actress and not Best Actress. Don't know how much of a difference that will make (if any)...

While I agree that Reneé Zellwegger is pretty much a lock for Best Supporting Actress (and I'll be thrilled if she wins), I think that Charlize Theron is an even bigger lock for Best Actress. Just MHO...
    The fact that Keisha was campaigned for supporting, nominated supporting for SAG, and STILL got nominated for LEAD as a 13 year old which is BY FAR the youngest leading actress nominee ever shows how much support she has. That's why the nomination in lead was the hurdle. Now that she is nominated, there is no more category confusion and she has trememdous buzz now since this was widely unexpected. She has support from actors like Michael Douglas and Clint Eastwood. Charlize is still the front-runner but by no means is she a lock now. She would have been a lock if Keisha wasn't nominated, but no more. Think Halle Berry last year. Berry was widely considered to be running third on nomination day, but then won the SAG and slipped in for the Oscar win.

OK, OK, OK...

Like I said, it's just MHO.

how the.... did sean astin not get a nom for supporting actor? Return of the King WAS his movie :-/ aw poo
    I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
    -- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    OK, OK, OK...

Like I said, it's just MHO.
    Ouch! Tylenol or Advil?

OK, in an effort to delay getting back to work a little longer (), I decided to look at the major awards that have been handed out so far this year and see how they broke down among the Oscar nominees. I did not include awards such as the SAG Awards and the BAFTA Awards, which have announced nominees but not yet named winners. Anyway, here's what I found:

BEST PICTURE

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – Golden Globes, Broadcast Film Critics, Chicago Film Critics, Dallas Film Critics, NY Film Critics
    Lost in Translation – Golden Globes, San Fran Film Critics
    Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    Mystic River – Boston Film Critics, Nat'l Board of Review
    Seabiscuit

BEST ACTOR

Johnny Depp
    Ben Kingsley
    Jude Law
    Bill Murray – Golden Globes, Boston Film Critics, Chicago Film Critics, Los Angeles Film Critics, Nat'l Society of Film Critics, NY Film Critics, San Fran Film Critics
    Sean Penn –Golden Globes, Broadcast Film Critics, Dallas Film Critics, Nat'l Board of Review

BEST ACTRESS

Keisha Castle-Hughes
    Diane Keaton – Golden Globes, Nat'l Board of Review
    Samantha Morton
    Charlize Theron – Golden Globes, Broadcast Film Critics, Chicago Film Critics, Dallas Film Critics, Nat'l Society of Film Critics, San Fran Film Critics
    Naomi Watts – Los Angeles Film Critics, San Diego Film Critics

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Alec Baldwin –Dallas Film Critics, Nat'l Board of Review
    Benicio Del Toro
    Djimon Hounsou – San Diego Film Critics
    Tim Robbins –Golden Globes, Broadcast Film Critics, Chicago Film Critics
    Ken Watanabe

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Shohreh Aghdashloo – Los Angeles Film Critics, NY Film Critics
    Patricia Clarkson – Boston Film Critics, Chicago Film Critics, Nat'l Board of Review, Nat'l Society of Film Critics, San Fran Film Critics
    Marcia Gay Harden
    Holly Hunter
    Reneé Zellwegger – Golden Globes, Broadcast Film Critics, Dallas Film Critics, San Diego Film Critics

BEST DIRECTOR

Fernando Meirelles -
    Peter Jackson –Golden Globes, Broadcast Film Critics, Dallas Film Critics, Los Angeles Film Critics, San Diego Film Critics, San Fran Film Critics
    Sofia Coppola –Boston Film Critics, NY Film Critics
    Peter Weir
    Clint Eastwood – Nat'l Society of Film Critics

I would love to see Samantha Morton trump them all and get the award for best actress.
    I think Keaton will be the sentimental choice, but Theron stands a great chance too.

No acting nominations for ROTK doesn't really surprise me, although I did think Sean Astin might be in with a shot.

Sofia Coppola seems to be gathering a lot of momentum, so it would not surprise me to see her win best director, although as I said earlier, Clint would be my choice.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Sofia Coppola seems to be gathering a lot of momentum, so it would not surprise me to see her win best director, although as I said earlier, Clint would be my choice.
    Clint's already won one, though. It'd be kinda cool to see Sofia Coppola win, but I doubt that will happen. She's only the third woman ever to be nominated, and she would be the first to win if she did.

I think that one's Peter Jackson's to lose at this point.

FORT Fogey
    Woot for Charlize Theron and Ken Watanabe

FORT Fogey
    I really just hate the Sean Astin was overlooked.. I was looking forward to him winning. Oh well. But I agree w/you picks Lobeck.

FORT Fogey
    Ok i have to add, that I would be thrilled and surprised to see Depp win for POC, just because it is comedy on his part and I don't think people realize how hard that is to do as well as he did it. I don't think only serious drama is deserving of Oscar and looks like there are several nominated in the comedy section this year which is refreshing. Diane Keaton for one (although I agree w/fluff on this one) I didn't see lost in translation is it a comedy? If so then you have Depp, Murray and Keaton. I am betting Murray wins it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast