+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain

Is there a post on Cold Mountain that I missed?

From www.hollywood.com

Renee Zellweger and Nicole Kidman in "Cold Mountain"

Cold Mountain
    Leigh Johnson

A Confederate soldier makes the arduous journey from the front lines of the Civil War to his home in Cold Mountain, N.C., where his lady love has been fighting battles of her own.

Story
    Sometimes the oldest stories are the most beautiful ones, and that's certainly the case in Cold Mountain, a relatively straightforward film about a couple in love during the Civil War. Momentous in its scope and stirring in its intimacy, Cold Mountain powerfully weaves together the journeys of its two protagonists, Inman (Jude Law) and Ada Monroe (Nicole Kidman), as they endure the hardships of war and await their reunion. Inman, a Confederate soldier wounded in the Battle of the Crater (one of the most powerful cinematic battle scenes in recent memory), realizes as he lies in the hospital that he's had enough of fighting, and he goes AWOL on a journey homeward that will take him through a series of trials not unlike those Odysseus faced in Homer's epic: He's tempted by sirens, tended to by a mountain healer/shepherdess, and betrayed by a mountain man he meets along the way. Through it all, his thoughts are never far from the faithful Penelope whose picture he keeps with him always--the woman he left behind at the farm on Cold Mountain, the beautiful Ada, a true Southern belle. Regrettably, Ada's schooling in the finer things in life has left her ill-prepared to care for the farm on her own as war rages across the country and the local militia, known as the Home Guard, wreaks havoc on the home front it's supposed to be protecting. Longing for Inman and weary of the struggle to survive, Ada welcomes the help of Ruby Thewes (Renee Zellweger), a spunky hellcat of a farm girl whose friendship and common sense spark Ada's transformation into a self-reliant woman.

I read this book and will certainly enjoy watching it come to life on the big screen.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    When is it coming ? Renee and Nicole are two good reasons already.

It came out Dec 25th in the states. I thought it was very good. A lot of well-known stars in this one.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

It's already out. I saw it last night and couldn't have liked it better. Other than the preview, the movie was about 2 1/2 hours long. All of the actors, not just the principal ones, were great and so was the story. It shows how love, determination, courage and necessity can change a person. For some, they became stronger, for another, that person allowed "softer" feelings to enter. I don't want to publically give away too much info. It's definitely a must see!

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Not out here in Singapore though.

ARG, then you'll have to wait just a little bit longer. Do you have any idea how long a movie usually takes to reach Singapore after it is released to general audiences in the U.S.?

Nicole Kidman sucked in this movie, her accent was way off. Jude Law was so-so, nothing that special. Renee Zellweger and Natalie Portman stole the show. They were both outstanding. The movie as a whole was pretty good, but not Oscar nomination-worthy in my opinion, although they still will be just because they are backed by Miramax.

To each their own. I believe the movie and the actors in them should go up for awards regardless of an affiliation with Miramax. I'm glad that I saw it on the movie screen instead of waiting for the video or DVD.

Natalie Portman and Donald Sutherland were good supporting actors and so were the rest. If anyone knows the name of the very light blonde haired villian, please let me know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast