+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Return of the King Discussion **Spoilers*

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Wolf. I can't stand and believe people who are not watching it....

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I'm happy to report that I saw ROTK again!
    It was as exciting as the first time I saw it.

The extended editions are a must for LOTR fans. One good scene that made it to the extended edition of the Two Towers was the scene with Boromir, Faramir, and their father at Osgiliath. It was awesome, and that made me like Faramir even more.
    That has to be my most favorite deleted scene in the EE of TTT. I know that a lot of book purists threw back their heads and howled about the changing of Faramir's character in the movie, but I think that scene really helps to support the change.

I have become a HUGE David Wenham fan because of his playing Faramir. What's really funny is to watch the movie with the audio commentary with Peter, Fran and Philippa. When Faramir appears, PJ makes the comment that Wenham was nominated the "Sexiest Man In Australia" and both Fran and Philippa give a big ***SIGH*** and dreamily say, "YES!"
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    Something that bugged me though was how that badguy with no face (sorry, I have a horrible memory) died so easily. All Eowyn did was stab him in the face and then he melted or whatever. I thought he was like really hard to kill, but I haven't read the books so maybe it was more drawn out in the books.
    The bad guy with no face is the Witch King.
    It's not the stabbing of his face that killed him, it was that a WOMAN was doing the stabbing!

GIRL POWER!

Leo
    Premium Member

The Hobbit may be made!

The Tolkien prequel may be inching its way to being shot: Tolkien's great-grandson is saying it would be "a perfect ending" if The Hobbit were filmed. Peter Jackson has said he'll do it if the family says yes, and Ian McKellen would reprise Gandalf as well.
    Last edited by Leo; 01-10-2004 at 12:20 PM.

For the people who read the book, I've heard all sorts of things about the EE of RotK...including several Wormtongue and Sauruman scenes.
    No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom
    That has to be my most favorite deleted scene in the EE of TTT. I know that a lot of book purists threw back their heads and howled about the changing of Faramir's character in the movie, but I think that scene really helps to support the change.
    I totally agree. That scene is very powerful and it helps you understand the tough relationship between Boromir, Faramir, and their father. The deviation from Faramir's character in the book was a concern of mine at first, but it works so well in the movie. In the extended edition commentaries, this is explained further. Faramir still shows his quality in the end so I'm happy the way he was portrayed.

I have become a HUGE David Wenham fan because of his playing Faramir. What's really funny is to watch the movie with the audio commentary with Peter, Fran and Philippa. When Faramir appears, PJ makes the comment that Wenham was nominated the "Sexiest Man In Australia" and both Fran and Philippa give a big ***SIGH*** and dreamily say, "YES!"
    Oh, me too, and I had never heard of him before. I haven't seen all the commentaries of the extended edition, but I'm not surprised to hear he was nominated for "Sexiest man in Austrailia".

Weston, I've also heard that Christopher Lee wasn't too happy that Sauramon scenes were cut in the ROTK, but that some scenes (probably the ones where he's confronted by Gandalf in the tower after the defeat of Isengard) will make it to the EE, though.

Quote Originally Posted by weston
    For the people who read the book, I've heard all sorts of things about the EE of RotK...including several Wormtongue and Sauruman scenes.
    I can answer that one. The "Scouring of the Shire" was never written or filmed. They wrote Wormtongue killing Saruman at Orthanc instead (kind of makes sense, Wormtongue was mad enough to throw the Palantir at him, why not kill him too?). Didn't make it into the theatrical version, but will definitely be in the EE

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    The Tolkien prequel may be inching its way to being shot: Tolkien's great-grandson is saying it would be "a perfect ending" if The Hobbit were filmed. Peter Jackson has said he'll do it if the family says yes, and Ian McKellen would reprise Gandalf as well.
    I can answer that one too! There are two companies that hold the rights to The Hobbit. New Line is in talks and negotiations getting it settled. Sir Ian McKellen has said in interviews that he would gladly reprise the role of Gandalf the Grey if asked. He said that he liked doing the "Grey" character better than the "White" character. I believe the quote was, "Gandalf the White had a stick up his ass."

Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom
    They wrote Wormtongue killing Saruman at Orthanc instead (kind of makes sense, Wormtongue was mad enough to throw the Palantir at him, why not kill him too?). Didn't make it into the theatrical version, but will definitely be in the EE
    Ooh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Sir Ian McKellen has said in interviews that he would gladly reprise the role of Gandalf the Grey if asked. He said that he liked doing the "Grey" character better than the "White" character. I believe the quote was, "Gandalf the White had a stick up his ass."
    Even Gimli made a comment in the Two Towers about Gandalf the White. I think went something like "I like the old Gandalf better. This one is a bit grumpier".

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    The deviation from Faramir's character in the book was a concern of mine at first, but it works so well in the movie. In the extended edition commentaries, this is explained further. Faramir still shows his quality in the end so I'm happy the way he was portrayed.
    I know that a lot of people freaked at his line:

"The ring will go to Gondor."

But that wasn't all that far-fetched. In the book, Faramir DOES tell Frodo that he intended to take him to Denethor, but that he'll think about it a little bit more and not be hasty and they end up hanging out in Henneth Anun the rest of the time. It's just in the movie, they go all the way to Osgiliath before Faramir changes his mind.

Now, I cried when I read the conversation between Faramir and Denethor in the RotK book. When I saw that scene in the theater, I nearly bawled! The look on Faramir's face when he asks Denethor if he wished his and Boromir's places were exchanged and then he turns to leave and says "If I should return, think better of me." And Denethor replies, "That depends on the manner of your return." made my heart ache!
    Last edited by realitycrazmom; 01-11-2004 at 06:51 AM.

FORT Newbie
    One of my teachers was actually a hobbit in the first movie! She was at Bilbo's Bday and she was quite lucky cos she lived not far away from the 'Shire'.
    NZ ROX 4 EVA

+ Reply to Thread