+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Strange Movies

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MarksLove
    LO-O-OVED Memento. I actually didn't think it that strange (maybe something is wrong w/ me)

Strangest movie other people have seen, too? Naked Lunch

Truly the oddest/most difficult movie I've ever seen? The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.
    Actually almost disturbing at times - had to leave the room twice, but it really stuck with me. Am I the only one who has seen it? Would love to discuss it here....
    Yes, I know I'm in the minority on Memento (and "Lost in Translation", for that matter). But, I didn't think it was "strange", in fact I thought it was an interesting idea, its execution just began to feel tedious and gimmigcky for me...too much work.

I, too, found "The Cook, the Thief..." somewhat disturbing, but it's been so long since I've seen it that I'm not sure I can contribute much to its discussion...I do remember that I was more disturbed by the dynamic between the Thief and his Wife than by the cannibalism thing. I found "Blue Velvet" deeply disturbing, and there again, it was the dynamic between the huffing Dennis Hopper and Isabella Rosselini ("Mommy") that stayed with me. So I guess we see a pattern with what disturbs me. Also, for me strange and disturbing aren't really the same thing.

I've given this thread a little more though...I think another strange movie would have to be Alexandro Jodorowsky's El Topo. It's a western full of bizarre symbolism. I find it intriguing that he was slated to do the theatrical version of Dune before Lynch. There are still some conceptual art from HR Giger too (when he was working with Jodorowsky).
    No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

can't wait for survivor! coolguy's Avatar
    "The New GirlFriend" is very weird but has a good moral...not all girls are nice!
    You stole my smart quote!

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Has anyone ever seen Freaks? Those were the real people, they weren't made up.
    Yep, yep, yep...I absolutely love this old classic!! I bought it on video several years ago after reading about it in a book about sideshows. Amazing to think it was made in 1932.

Anything written by Charlie Kaufman
    Mulholland Drive (i still dont understand it )

Thats all i can think of at the moment

Ahhh, I knew I'd find reference to Donnie Darko in here... mostly because I searched the movie forum for it, but....

Anyway.

I need explanation.

Is the whole 28 days a trip that Donnie has made before? Is the rabbit really just trying to save himself, therefore he invades Donnie somehow? Did Donnie stay in bed simply to save the girl? Was the rabbit something in his imagination that another "personality" simply used because it would invoke strong feelings?

HELP!!!!!!!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    Pi was the strangest movie I've ever seen, it was recommended by a friend of mine from this last school year.

I am still confused by that movie...
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

I love anything by David Lynch. Mulholland Drive happens to be in my favorites.
    Pi and Requim for a Dream are another two I highly recommend. I have to look through my DVD collection for more...I dig complicated movies.

Quote Originally Posted by abrslr
    Farenheit 451... very very odd...
    I totally agree! My literature class had to watch this, but I forgot why.. The scene that totally confused me was when she was talking to the TV or whatever, and then where they memorized the books.. I won't ever watch that movie if I can prevent it.. it kinda freaked me out... I don't know if it was just the overall weirdness or just the burning stuff.. just scared me..

And I don't know about you, but I thought "The Others" was the one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen in all my life! I mean, especially the no sun on the kids part.... and then the woman with no eyes and weird hair.. It was really weird, and I got so bored I began to doze off... and I tell you, I hate scary movies,they give me nightmares, and I had a pillow and blanket just in case somethin came up I didn't wanna see.. but the previews scared me more than anything.. Just thought this movie reeked of weirdness...
    ~*Tennessee Sweetheart*~

FORT Fogey
    I have been a big fan of the Truman Show... it was a strange movie back in the day... now it's not quite as strange.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast