+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Strange Movies

It's sensei time! Masai & Pygmie's Avatar
    Has anyone ever seen The City of Lost Children with Ron Perlman? Freaky - looking forward to Hellboy.
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." -- Henry David Thoreau

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Masai & Pygmie
    Has anyone ever seen The City of Lost Children with Ron Perlman? Freaky - looking forward to Hellboy.
    yes. rather, i watched the beginning, but it was too creepy for me; same director as amelie, which i loved, and delicatessen, which is also bizarre, dark, but very funny.

Drain my brain.
    American Beauty... wierd...
    I drive down the street in a Rolls Royce car. Use hundred dollar bills when I light my cigar.

"Naked Lunch " was really weird... I don't think I finished watching it.
    but "Being John Malkovich", "Memento", and "Mulholland Dr. " are among my fav.
    oh, and I find "Eyes Wide Shut" strange as well
    lalala

FORT Fogey
    I really like low budget, horror, action, wierd, strange, blacksploitation movies...many such movies were produced in the late 60's and early 70's and we used to call them "Drive-In" movies because they were usually the third or fourth feature included in an evening bill at the local drive-in when i was growing up...

* Last House on the Left
    * I Spit on Your Grave
    * Dont Look in the Basement
    * Its Alive
    * House of Excorcism (Excorcist rip-off with Telly Savalas)
    * Baron Blood
    * Count Yorga - Vampire
    * Macon County Line
    * Walking Tall
    * White Line Fever
    * Billy Jack
    * Blackula
    * Abbey (black Exorcist)
    * Beyond the Door (another Excorcist rip off with Nanny of Nanny & the professor being possesed by Satan).

So many more

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by foxwitch
    "Naked Lunch " was really weird... I don't think I finished watching it.
    but "Being John Malkovich", "Memento", and "Mulholland Dr. " are among my fav.
    oh, and I find "Eyes Wide Shut" strange as well
    I loved "Eyes Wide Shut". It made lots of sense to me in a jungian context - very psychological, rather than literal. Lots of people were calling it obscene (a friend said it was all "gratuitous f**king") but I thought it was fine. MAybe I was biased, though, as I do think Kubrick was a brilliant director.

I thought "Memento" was overrated. What did others think?

Drain my brain.
    Farenheit 451... very very odd...
    I drive down the street in a Rolls Royce car. Use hundred dollar bills when I light my cigar.

LO-O-OVED Memento. I actually didn't think it that strange (maybe something is wrong w/ me)

Strangest movie other people have seen, too? Naked Lunch

Truly the oddest/most difficult movie I've ever seen? The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.
    Actually almost disturbing at times - had to leave the room twice, but it really stuck with me. Am I the only one who has seen it? Would love to discuss it here....

Drain my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarksLove
    LO-O-OVED Memento. I actually didn't think it that strange (maybe something is wrong w/ me)

Strangest movie other people have seen, too? Naked Lunch

Truly the oddest/most difficult movie I've ever seen? The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.
    Actually almost disturbing at times - had to leave the room twice, but it really stuck with me. Am I the only one who has seen it? Would love to discuss it here....
    What's this movie about?

Basic plot: Head chef (The Cook) runs an exclusive restaurant (the entire move takes place here) owned by a ganster (The Thief), whose Wife is quite bored (Helen Mirren - AMAZING here) and takes a Lover (their scenes take place in the bathroom). MOvie plays out over the course of a week. Thief finds out about Wife and Lover and vows revenge.
    Set decoration and cinematography are astonishing - the use of color (sets and costuming) very interesting and will stick with you (green for the Kitchen, white for the bathrooms, red for the dining room)
    For me, the movie is primarily about gluttony and excess, in food and sex, in the end, revenge. It is a VERY difficult movie to watch, without a doubt. Some have described it as an "art-house cannibal flick" - opinions vary widely. It is almost impossible to describe without seeing it.
    I recommend you flip though the "comments" section of the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) prior to seeing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast