+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gothika - 11/21

Gothika - 11/21

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: A brilliant and respected criminal psychologist, Dr. Miranda Grey is an expert at knowing what is rational. What is logical. What is sane. Under the direction of her husband, the chief administrator of the psychiatric ward at the Woodward Penitentiary for Women, Miranda treats dangerously disturbed patients like Chloe, an intensely charismatic murderess whose confessions of satanic torture are dismissed by the judicious doctor as the psychotic meanderings of a paranoid mind. But Miranda’s comfortable marriage and stable life are thrust into terrifying jeopardy after a cryptic encounter with a mysterious young girl leads to a nightmare beyond her wildest imagination. When Miranda awakens from the horrific incident, she is shocked to discover that her husband has been murdered--and the bloody evidence points directly at her. Unable to fathom having committed an unmotivated act of such sheer brutality against a man she loved and admired, Miranda suddenly finds herself confined to Woodward alongside the highly unstable patients she used to treat with methodical detachment. With no memory of the night in question except for fractured visions of the hauntingly enigmatic girl, the doctor’s behavior becomes increasingly erratic. Her claims of innocence are seen as the beginnings of a deep descent into madness by her former colleagues like Dr. Pete Graham, Miranda’s sympathetic but skeptical coworker who is wrestling with issues of his own. Forced to rely on her instincts rather than facts, Miranda begins to believe that she has been possessed by a supernatural force determined to exact revenge at the expense of her sanity. As Chloe draws her deeper into her own personal hell, Miranda must determine if she is being driven to madness…or closer to the truth.
    Genre(s):
    Horror
    Supernatural
    Thriller
    Rating: Not available
    Runtime: 96 mins.

Cast & Role

Halle Berry -- Miranda Grey
    Penelope Cruz -- Chloe Sava
    Robert Downey Jr -- Pete Graham
    Bernard Hill -- Phil Parsons
    Charles S Dutton -- Dr Douglas Grey
    Jennifer Ehle
    John Carroll Lynch -- Sheriff Ryan
    Bronwen Mantel -- Irene
    "That's Numberwang!"

May kind of movie. There are some very good actors too.

I agree - I can't wait to see this one!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

I love the premise of the movie.
    I think I'll be going to see this one.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, too.

Just got my tickets for tonight! I've been waiting for this one for ages!

They showed a clip on The Early Show that I hadn't seen before; it looks very Hitchcock in its camera angles and such
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

mr. moviefone (yes, THE mr. moviefone ) is on kdge in dallas every week, and he saw gothika... and was sad to say that though the first hour was awesome, that it really was a let down in the end.

if this is true, that would mean that robert downney, jr. has been in at least 2 movies with great premises and strong beginnings that just ended in a blaaaaaaaah. the other movie that was was super scary to start was "in dreams" with annette bening. one of the creepiest movies ever to begin, then it's as if it gave up.

wow... that was a serious tangent. carry on.

I have to to sher; I felt so let down at the end of "in dreams"

And I just got back from Gothika--the first 3/4 of the movie ROCKS, and then it sort of gets weird. It's good though; definitely a "theater-movie" (for those like me who believe many movies are great in the theater and not as good at home).
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Thanks for the thumbs-up, Chiro. People have said that it's not very good. I plan on seeing it anyway, so it's comforting that I haven't heard all bad reviews.

Just saw it this Saturday. I agree with Chiro that this is a great theatre-movie. The movie started great. The asylum scenes were pretty chilling, but half-way through the movie, it started lacking some of the creepy effects. Although, I (as well as others in the theatre) did jump when that owl came out of the barn, but that was nothing but a cheap trick. Also, the plot of the movie took a somewhat different route than what I thought it would be.

Robert Downey Jr's character didn't really do much, and I wished they had made his character a little more emotional since he did have feelings towards Miranda. I thought Penelope Cruz's character had some of the best lines.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast