+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dr. Seuss' The Cat In The Hat - 11/21

Dr. Seuss' The Cat In The Hat - 11/21

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: Today is a special day for Conrad and Sally Walden--even though they don't think it is. It seems that Sally and Conrad, different as black and white, have pushed their single mom, Joan Walden, to the limit. Conrad's endless rule breaking has his mom seriously considering military school for her son--an idea planted by her just-this-side-of-smarmy neighbor and suitor, Lawrence Quinn. Sally, tightly wound though well-behaved, has bossed away every friend she has, and divides her time between upbraiding her brother and putting new 'To Do' lists in her junior palm pilot. And all the while their mom is just trying to keep domestic peace while balancing a successful career as a real estate agent for her germophobe boss, Mr. Humberfloob. However, on the Saturday that she is to host her company's party, Joan's preparations have fallen prey to Conrad's shenanigans. Thus, she lays down a mom-sized decree: Sally and Conrad are not to leave the house while she is at work; furthermore, they are forbidden from making a mess or misbehaving in any way. The kids are left with little to do besides sit and stare out of the window, while their babysitter, Mrs. Kwan, dozes in the den. Until their unexpected guest--a six-foot-tall talking feline, sporting a red-and-white-striped stovepipe hat--appears. The original party animal himself arrives to turn their world upside down by showing Sally and Conrad that "it's good to have fun--but you have to know how!"
    Genre(s):
    Adaptation
    Comedy
    Family
    Fantasy
    Rating: MPAA PG: mild crude humor and double entendres
    Runtime: Not available

Cast & Role

Mike Myers -- The Cat in the Hat
    Alec Baldwin -- Quinn
    Kelly Preston -- Mom
    Dakota Fanning -- Sally
    Spencer Breslin -- Conrad
    Amy Hill -- Mrs Kwan
    Sean Hayes -- Mr Humberfloob/ Voice of The Fish
    Paige Hurd -- Denise
    "That's Numberwang!"

I know I'll be taking my boys to see this one.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I heard this movie takes a rather disturbing tangent from the charming childrens story that was intended by the book. It is supposedly like Austin Powers The Cat or something.

FORT Fogey
    I heard it really took away from the Dr Suess element and kinda sucked. I wont see it because I think that the cat in the hat mask is creepy. I hated The Grinch for the same reasons

I read that the Cat is actually kind of scary.

FORT Fogey
    Took nine children for a birthday surprise
    turns out it's adult humor in a cat disguise

The adults laughed till we were blue in the face
    The children sat and stared into space.

The one liners were funny but way above their head
    take my advice and just read them the book instead

Firegirl, that was so cute.

I've heard bad things from critics (can't trust 'em much, though, can we?) and a friend of mine. Would you recommend it for adults and teens?

FORT Fogey
    older teens and adults maybe,, I wouldn't have been dissapointed to wait for the rental. Especially w/all the other films out that look so good.

Don't Worry It's Just Me! falloutbey's Avatar
    I had mixed feelings. My niece said she thought it was funny, really funny, but then again I don't think she really laughed once. I thought it was amusing and funny, but I love Mike Myers so I dunno. I would not say you must take your kids to see this because it really isn't very funny for them. I can't say that teenagers should see this because its little bit immature for most of them.. so thats why I have mixed feelings. Because its to over the top for little kids and just not appealing for teens or grown ups. But it was good.

+ Reply to Thread