+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheesiest Movie Moments

Jay

Cheesiest Movie Moments

Below is an article from msn.com. Can you remember other cheesy moments?
    I recall Terminator 2 where Arnie raises a clenched fist and gives a thumbs up as he is being lowered into a cauldron of molten iron.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    by Kat Giantis
    MSN Entertainment
    Nov. 3, 2003

Hollywood has long had a weakness for cheese. Just look at the classic "Casablanca," in which Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) gushes to Rick (Humphrey Bogart) as the Germans invade Paris, "Was that cannon fire or is it my heart pounding?" Groan.

Well, break out the crackers, because the good folks at Empire magazine have selected the 10 cheesiest movie moments ever. At the top of the list is Bill Pullman's Velveeta-covered presidential pep talk in "Independence Day" ("We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"), which the mag dismisses as "a cornball speech that sounds like Shakespeare rewritten by kindergarteners."

Coming in a close second is the mano-a-mano moment in "Top Gun" when Tom Cruise's Maverick melts Val Kilmer's Iceman's frozen heart by telling him, "You can be my wingman any time."

Other cringe-inducing examples include a drenched Andie MacDowell clunkily telling Hugh Grant at the end of "Four Weddings and a Funeral," "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed"; a blind woman worshiping Kevin Costner's messiah-like mail carrier in "The Postman": "You're a Godsend, a savior," to which he earnestly replies, "No, I'm just the postman"; and Hayden Christensen's wooing of Natalie Portman in "Attack of the Clones," which includes this rumination on sand: "It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."

Still craving cheese? Here's the complete list:

1. "Independence Day"
    2. "Top Gun"
    3. "The Karate Kid" (Daniel wins the big tournament on one leg)
    4. "Four Weddings and a Funeral"
    5. "Pearl Harbor" (Kate Beckinsale reads a love letter as the sun sets)
    6. "Stepmom" (the big group sing)
    7. "The Postman"
    8. "An Office and a Gentleman" (Richard Gere carries Debra Winger out of the factory)
    9. "Patch Adams" (sick kids rescue Robin Williams in court)
    10. "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones"

I have to add, when Patrick Swayze is about to go to heaven and he tells Demi Moore he loves her and she says "ditto".

I know it's supposed to be romantic but I found it hilarious and cheese of the finest order.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Titanic - The "King of the World" bit

LOTR - Two Towers - Gollum having his schizo moment deciding whether to be nice to Frodo as Smeagol or attack him as Gollum. That was a horrible, stinky, limbuger, cheesy moment.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Poor Gollum/Smeagol is such a tragic figure that while most of the rest of the theater was laughing through that scene, I was near tears (and I hate crying in the theater LOL).

Strange how one person's cheese can be another's tragedy...and both can be right.

-Randy (Is there anything more subjective than movies?)

In Sophie's Choice, the writer/tenet found their bodies in bed after they poisoned themselves. He picked up the book of poetry and read from it.

Oh, paleezze.

FORT Fogey
    Here are some moments (in otherwise wonderful movies) that I think were pretty cheesy

·Staying Alive – After starring in the opening night of the Broadway musical “Hell’s Kitchen” someone backstage asks the Travolta character what he is going to do celebrate that he has risen from a nobody to a star – IE: go to a cast party, live it up at a fancy Manhattan club, paint the town red, get laid yada, yada. Travolta instead answers "I’m gonna strut” and bursts out the backstage door into the alley. Cue the Bee Gees music and he’s struttin his stuff down the street ala the opening scene of “Saturday Night Fever”.

·Wallstreet – even though it was a central part of the movie, I thought Gordon Gecko’s “Greed is Good” speech, complete with cordless microphone was pretty cheesy. (Where did he get that microphone anyway? This wasn’t the Jenny Jones show, they don’t usually have cordless mics in the audience at stock shareholder meetings).

·When a Man Loves a Woman – The closing scene where Meg Ryan is giving a moving and gut wrenching speech on how alcoholism ruined her life as she receives her 100 day medal at an AA meeting. A very sobering scene that shows that while she may be recovering, life is far from perfect and her future is still very murky and unsure and a perfect way to end a movie with very difficult subject matter. However, instead of rolling credits there, estranged husband Andy Gracia decides to take that very moment to walk through the double-doors and return to the woman he walked out on when she was at her lowest point. As he enters the room, everyone turns and its so quiet you can hear a pin drop. He then walks up and gives a very cheesy, syrupy “I’m so proud of you” type of speech and then they live happily ever after. Blech.
    He may have even borrowed Gecko's cordless mic but I cant recall. I always turn the movie off at that point.

·The Outsiders – The Matt Dillon “Lets do it for Jah-nny” speech.

·Teachers – The Jo Beth Williams character confronts the Nick Nolte character and says that he needs to expose his inner-self more in their relationship. To demonstrate that she exposes her inner-self, she proceeds to strip off her clothes in the middle of the hallway of the high school in front of all of the students.

I can come up with dozens of these type of cheesy moments and I will try and post some later.
    Last edited by Daddio; 11-06-2003 at 12:12 PM.

The Transporter - when the two main characters meet for the first time.

Frank opens the trunk of his BMW, unzips a big black bag and Lai pokes her head out. She looks up at him with her eyes full of fear, her hands tied behind her back, and a piece of duct tape covering her mouth...and suddenly a cheesy love song starts to play as they "share a moment". :rolleyes

Love the movie - hate the scene.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhora
    The Transporter - when the two main characters meet for the first time.

Frank opens the trunk of his BMW, unzips a big black bag and Lai pokes her head out. She looks up at him with her eyes full of fear, her hands tied behind her back, and a piece of duct tape covering her mouth...and suddenly a cheesy love song starts to play as they "share a moment". :rolleyes

Love the movie - hate the scene.
    I hear ya Zhora. That is what is known in Movie Lingo as a "Meet Cute" there is one moment like that in almost every romantic comedy movie.

I absolutely loved Pirates of the Caribbean, until the end.

As if the anal retentive captain is just going to let the man he was about to hang ride off into the sunset, and give a hearty congratulations to the man who saved the pirate and stole his fiance.

Yeah. Okay.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

FORT Fogey
    I agree w/the Titanic king of the World scene

pretty woman when Julia Roberts is approaching the car w/Richard Gere in it and the other hooker is yelling work it baby work it, own it.. gag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast