+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Veronica Guerin - 10/17

Veronica Guerin - 10/17

Veronica Guerin (2003)

Synopsis: In the mid-1990s, Dublin was nothing short of a war zone, with a few powerful drug lords battling for control. Their most fearsome opponent was not the police, but the courageous journalist Veronica Guerin, who covered the crime beat with unmatched intensity. As she investigated and exposed the "pushers," balancing her home and family against her responsibility to her readers and her country, she became a national folk heroine to the people of Ireland; each attempt on her life only galvanized her legend. Her brutal murder in 1996 forced a dramatic revision of Ireland's laws and, as well, led to the arrests of the nation's top criminals

Statistics
    Genre(s): Biopic, Drama Rating: MPAA R: for violence, language and some drug content. Runtime: 92 mins. Theatrical Release: 10/17/2003

Cast & Role
    Cate Blanchett - Veronica Guerin
    Gerard McSorley - John Gilligan
    Ciaran Hinds - John Traynor
    Brenda Fricker - Bernie Guerin
    Don Wycherley - Chris Mulligan
    Barry Barnes - Graham Turley
    Simon O'Driscoll - Cathal Turley
    Emmet Bergin - Aengus Fanning

Crew & Credit
    Joel Schumacher - Director
    Jerry Bruckheimer - Producer

I am eargerly anticipating this movie. I lived in Dublin for a year in '01-'02 and was surprised by the drug problem and violence of the criminals then. While I was there I read news reports of police men getting attacked with Samurai swords and knew people beaten with pipes. I can't imagine what it was like when Guerin was crusading!

Dublin is a much harsher city than what tourists see. I always tell people to take a trip up to Donaghmede or out to Ballymun (the Irish projects, bascially) to see the "real" Dublin. People who have become dependent on the dole or turned to drugs present a real problem to the Irish authorities and the government's attempts to modernize the country.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

This sounds like a good one. Does anybody else have plans to see it?

It does sound like a good one, but I don't think I can get any of my friends to go with me to see it.

I just read a review of it at the CNN website...or was it USA TODAY? Can't remember which one, but it got a really good write-up.

We saw this last night and it was fantastic! Cate Blanchett was, as always, brilliant. The story is gritty and troublesome but the movie ends with hope and promise. The plot moves along quickly - a little too quickly at some points, the soundtrack was outstanding and all the performances were 100% believable.

Even if you don't care about Ireland, but you do care about ballsy journalists, the worldwide drug problem or even the cutting of governmental red tape in regards to criminality...GO SEE THIS MOVIE.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Veronica Guerin is about as close to a modern day hero as I have ever heard of.
    Her life story is fascinating and her death really shocked so many of us in the UK and obviously was devastating to many in Ireland who applauded her efforts.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie.
    "That's Numberwang!"

What is the deal with all of these movies based on true stories? Yeah, they teach people things that they might not know, but movies were made to entertain. But I will grant you that the Life of David Gale was pretty good. So perhaps this will be good as well. I'll be optimisitic, but wait till it comes out on video.

+ Reply to Thread