+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chronicles of Narnia/ The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

These were my favorite books as a kid, and I still love them, especially Edmund and Eustace Stubbs. I want to have tea and sardine sandwiches in Mr. Tumnus's ( I think ) house and then run off for some turkish delight with the Witch. I really think she was just misunderstood, and Gregory Maquire needs to do a re-telling of the fable like he did for Elphaba. Never did care much for that Lion.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 02-08-2005 at 07:27 AM.

I always wanted to try Turkish Delight too. Never wanted the sardine sandwiches though - LOL. I just came across this second part of the behind the scenes featurette (i think it just came out today): http://bvbp-qt.vitalstream.com/LionW...ector_1500.mov

Its great because it shows more of the scenes and characters and includes interviews with the director. It is so great to see how he envisioned the book and how it compares to my memories from Narnia. Check it out and let me know what you think...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I absolutely adored these books. I was right with you guys on the Turkish Delight, too. At the last place I worked, my coworker was from Australia and she was always lamenting about the candy she missed from home. So her parents sent her some Turkish Delight and I had the opportunity to try it. Yuck! If I remember correctly, it was some kind of gel-like substance, whereas I had imagined it as the most delicious chocolate. What a letdown.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I love Turkish delight! They do make it chocolate-covered, and it comes in different flavors. My favorite is coffee. Of course, it always makes me think of Narnia.

One of my favorite movies is Shadowlands, about C.S. Lewis with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger, but bring tissue.

I didn't even realize Turkish Delight was a real thing, LOL. Might have to check that out and see where I can get some

Oh, and they just released some more pics from the movie.

http://www.narniafans.com/?id=190

How gorgeous is that?? I think i might use it as my new screensaver.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

FORT Fogey
    Oh wow... Whenever I see something I am obsessed with - be it David Sedaris, Narnia, Hana Soukupova, Monica Belluci... etc - Salome and Snowflakegirl are there. I personally don't like the choice of Tilda Swinton as Jadis (The White Witch, although most of us dorks know its almost certainly Jadis but I do like Rupert Everett for Aslan. When I was little I'd always wish before I went to sleep that I'd wake up a Pevensie...

Fort Member
    Loved these books, they really helped me escape when I was a kid
    I love turkish delight, they really are something you either love or hate. They do come covered in chocolate and in a mixed box you will always find them the last to be eaten, my family just gives them all to me as I am the only person they know who likes them. It can be annoying because I like all chocolate but they eat all the others first. Real turkish delight comes plain just coved in icing sugar, its flavoured with rose water. I think its the texture people dont like more so than the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by -ANTM-
    Oh wow... Whenever I see something I am obsessed with - be it David Sedaris, Narnia, Hana Soukupova, Monica Belluci... etc - Salome and Snowflakegirl are there. I personally don't like the choice of Tilda Swinton as Jadis (The White Witch, although most of us dorks know its almost certainly Jadis but I do like Rupert Everett for Aslan. When I was little I'd always wish before I went to sleep that I'd wake up a Pevensie...
    I llike Tilda Swinton as The High Chatelaine of Cair Paravel as she prefers to be known, but Rupert Everett as Aslan, is a strange casting choice. Tilda has an other worldly look about her and that alabaster skin, perfect. Somehow, I don't see Rupert as a metaphor for Jesus.

FORT Fogey
    The White Witch is supposed to be alarmingly beautiful in an icy way. Tilda Swinton isn't alarmingly beautiful to me. I envisioned something like... Cate Blanchett, Uma Thurman, Nicole Kidman. Breed the three of them and use the kid.

As for Rupert, obviously he ain't no Jesus - but I can see him voicing Jesus. His voice has that deep royal quality, and its kind of ruff and soft and loud and powerful all at once. Very Jesus-Lion even if he isn't a Saint.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast