+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underworld - 09/19

Underworld - 09/19

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: For centuries, two races have evolved hidden deeply within human culture the aristocratic, sophisticated Vampires, and the brutal, feral Lycans (werewolves). To humanity, their existence is no more than a whisper of a myth. But to each other, they are lifelong mortal rivals, sworn to wage a secret war until only one race is left standing. In the midst of this ongoing struggle, a Vampire warrior, Selene, discovers a Lycan plot to kidnap a young human doctor. After shadowing Michael through the city, she forms an unprecedented bond with him, and when the Lycans make their next move, Selene is there to fend off their vicious assault. As she races to save Michael and unravel the Lycan intrigue surrounding him, Selene discovers a secret that has terrifying repercussions for both tribes--a nefarious plan to awaken a new invincible species of predator that combines the strengths of both creatures and the weaknesses of neither, which threatens to tip the balance of power in favor of the werewolves, who have been on the losing end of the struggle for centuries.
    Genre(s):
    Horror
    Romance
    Thriller
    Rating: MPAA R: for strong violence/gore, some language.
    Runtime: 121 mins.

Cast & Role

Kate Beckinsale -- Selene
    Scott Speedman -- Michael Corvin
    Michael Sheen -- Lucian
    Shane Brolly -- Kraven
    Bill Nighy -- Viktor
    Erwin Leder -- Singe
    Sophia Myles -- Erika
    Robbie Gee -- Kahn
    "That's Numberwang!"

Sounds like a fun flick. I'll probably see it.

Kate Beckinsale was on Craig Kilborn show last night and she was really amusing.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The previews look pretty awesome, and I'm a sucker for vampire/werewolf movies. I'm definitely going to see this one.

i'm definitely going to see it, too. love vamp-y movies and love kate beckinsale! should be a fun watch!

*SERIOUS SPOILERS AHEAD*

DON'T - and I repeat, DON'T go see this movie. I attended a sneak preview of it along with a whole armada of other receptive college students, and half-way through the film we started laughing at every second scene.

When your target audience (young, 17-25 year old males) start saying stuff like "this is the hokiest thing I've ever seen" and "oh my god - it's so bad it might be a parody", you know you're in trouble.

Maybe it's the fact that this film takes itself FAR too seriously - there's no humour, none at all. Maybe it's the fact that there's some TRULY horrendous acting in there - from Brolly's constantly sneering and cringingly moronic Kraven to Nighy's weezing, awkwardly-mannered Viktor. (The catalyst for all those laughs came when Viktor - the "reawakened" head vampire with his greenish husk of a body - starts speaking in a fake, supposedly menacing Britsh accent while IVs filled with blood are still danging from his putrid-looking limbs. :rolleyes )

Kate Beckinsdale is the female protagonist with obviously good fashion sense - as seen from her curve-hugging leather ensemble paired with go-go boots (S&M goth-chic?) She has ONE expression throughout the whole film - an intense, slightly tortured, yet ultimately blank expression, which she uses to convey love, fury, befuddlement, pain, scorn, anxiety, excitement, resignation, happiness...etc, etc.

She has NO chemistry with Speedman's doofus/yawn-inducing Michael. The first time they kiss (at totally the *wrong* moment in the film) - all you could hear were chuckles and snorts in the screening hall.

In addition, there's some truly BAD dialogue in the film. For example, during the scene when Kraven turns on Lucien and shoots him, he taunts (oh-so-wittily), "Bet you weren't expecting silver nitrate, were you?" (BTW, the bullets the Vampires use are made of out of silver-nitrate, which is anathema to the Lycans. Still doesn't excuse the bloody dorkiness of that line, though. :mad: )

The plot is equally as bad. The so-called "conpiracy" between Kraven and Lucien is revealed way too early, and kills ANY suspense. Although the first quarter of the film is sustained on the dynama of its action sequences, once it starts into the plot, everything unravels. Especially bad is the absolutely SACCHARINE sob-story behind Lucien, Selene, and the so-called "war" between the Vampires and the Lycans. :rolleyes

Oh, and to top it off, the final show-down betwixt the forces of good and evil is BORING, badly-choreographed and not nearly long enough. (Although it involved a "twist", most of my friends saw it coming a MILE away - in other words, the narrative pacing of the film wasn't handled well at all - this in addition to the fact that it isn't original, and used all the conventions there were to use, without having the skills to pull them off.) I think the WORST crime the film commited, however, is during the final stage of the "show-down", when the "villain" of the shoddy piece is finally killed. I'm not going to reveal it to you - but the way he met his demise is so atrociously BAD it prompted those aforementioned "parody" comments.

My recommendation: take your hard-earned money and go see either "Casa de los Babys" or "Lost in Translation".
    Last edited by nausicaa; 09-19-2003 at 12:51 PM.

It wasn't the best movie, but it was okay. This is a dark sci-fi/horror/drama movie, so I wouldn't expect the characters to be funny. There was no chemistry between Selene and Michael, and some of the scenes and CGI effects were a little ridiculous. However, vampire and/or Werewolf movies always have some element of corniness to them, so I knew what to expect. The movie theatre was packed and I did not hear anyone snickering or laughing, so I'm guessing they also knew what to expect from a movie like this.

This is not a movie for everyone. If you don't like these sort of movies, I would not recommend it.
    If you do like them, I would say to wait for the rental or the $1 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    However, vampire and/or Werewolf movies always have some element of corniness to them, so I knew what to expect. The movie theatre was packed and I did not hear anyone snickering or laughing, so I'm guessing they also knew what to expect from a movie like this.
    Well, the line Roxanne said inCyrano de Bergerac pretty much sums up how I felt about the movie..."I ask for cream, and you give me milk and water."

To each his/her own, I guess, Wolf. But I was not exaggerating about the snickering...and no, most of the people at my screening weren't sniffy, high-falutin' film students, neither.

Yes this was a very weak movie and a major disappointment. But they are already going ahead with Underworld 2, so what the hell do I know? I found myself falling asleep during certain parts.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    It wasn't the best movie, but it was okay. This is a dark sci-fi/horror/drama movie, so I wouldn't expect the characters to be funny. There was no chemistry between Selene and Michael, and some of the scenes and CGI effects were a little ridiculous. However, vampire and/or Werewolf movies always have some element of corniness to them, so I knew what to expect. The movie theatre was packed and I did not hear anyone snickering or laughing, so I'm guessing they also knew what to expect from a movie like this.

This is not a movie for everyone. If you don't like these sort of movies, I would not recommend it.
    If you do like them, I would say to wait for the rental or the $1 movies.
    I didn't think it was that bad either, if you are into the genre. This kind of movie isn't supposed to have any funny lines in it. It's dark and proud of it. Good on action, several good fight scenes. I liked the fact that they created a new twist on an old theme (vampires vs werewolves). I also like the fact that they show the vampires taking advantage of modern technology in their battle tactics.

That being said, I didn't think that Selene had any chemistry with Micheal either. I'm hoping that they manage to get a spark going before the next one. I thought that the digusting end was a little uncalled for as well. It just made me think, "Yuck!"
    I've seen better vampire movies (Interview, Bram Stoker's, etc) and I've seen worse (Dracula 2000, anyone?). I think this fell someone near the middle of the heap.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast