+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Underworld - 09/19

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    It's dark and proud of it. Good on action, several good fight scenes. I liked the fact that they created a new twist on an old theme (vampires vs werewolves). I also like the fact that they show the vampires taking advantage of modern technology in their battle tactics.
    It may have tried to be dark, but all it ended up feeling to me was clunky. Modern technology? Uh...they fight with guns? Like everyone else in regular action flicks? :rolleyes The fight scenes were a let-down to me precisely because the choreography was unoriginal and borrowed too heavily from much superior fight scenes in other films.

I don't ask for funny lines necessarily, but I do ask for good ones. Dialogue I don't cringe at when I hear it. It's not a genre problem, but a problem specific to this movie.

I think theatre-goers have become too complacent. If it sucks, it sucks. Sorry. (Admittedly, this isn't the worst movie I've seen, but...)

Bottom line: I liked "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    It may have tried to be dark, but all it ended up feeling to me was clunky. Modern technology? Uh...they fight with guns? Like everyone else in regular action flicks?

I think theatre-goers have become too complacent. If it sucks, it sucks. Sorry. (Admittedly, this isn't the worst movie I've seen, but...)

Bottom line: I liked "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" much, much better.
    Well, its a bit more modern than stakes and swords, isn't it? I mostly meant the ammunition, anyway. I thought that was clever.

I think that theatre-goers are a bit smarter than the media or the industry gives them credit for. Look at, "Gigli". They paired two mega stars and promoted it out the wazoo and expected the consumer to eat it up with a box of Milk duds. I think we all know how that turned out.

Now I do mean this to be a friendly debate, so please don't get too riled up. I am not exactly defending this movie because I think there are several out there that would be more worth the money. All I am saying is that you have to compare apples to apples. I'm sure you liked "Mexico" just as I liked "Pirates of the Carribean. You can't compare them to this move, however, because they are in completely different genres. My advice to anyone curious about this movie, is that if they are a fan of the genre, this movie will fall somewhere in the middle of the pack. Not the best, but not the worst.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 10-01-2003 at 11:07 AM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Now I do mean this to be a friendly debate, so please don't get too riled up.
    Not at all. I never "get too riled up" over differing views regarding movies, actually. (I hope you didn't take the tone of my last post to be that vehement. )

"Gigli" is rather an anomaly. We swallow fluff movies like "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" all the time. Gross-out humour and mind-numbing action flicks usually draw big crowds.

I don't rate movies according to genre, by the way. IMO, when we explain away the flaws in a movie - or, at least, allow them a wider berth - just because they're supposedly "part of a genre", we run the risk of becoming too complacent about these flaws.

"Once Upon a Time in Mexico" definitely had weak spots. So did "Pirates of the Caribbean". But to me, both were better movies (and therefore more enjoyable to watch) because both had better actors and *certainly* sizzled with much more creative energy than "Underworld", which for the most part clunked along - burdened with being labelled "dark" without having the edginess and pizazz to pull it off.

But if we try to validate its clunky dialogue, soporific acting, dull choreography, and unoriginal plotline by saying "well...it's a completely different genre...", then all I can deduce from that statement is that the vampire/horror genre must be ALL kitsch, and by nature artistically inferior to other genres. (That's not my real opinion, BTW. )

In other words: I don't care if "Underworld" is middle of the pack or what not in terms of vampire movies. IMO, it was a horrible movie - no genres barred. Does that make sense?

Look, IMO, if you want to be thoroughly underwhelmed, go see "Underworld". But why bother when there are better movies around?

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea, but just wanted to add this about good vampire/horror movies:

For artistic value, check out "The Hunger" or "The Last Man on Earth; for innovation and sheer style, "Cronos" is a good bet; for heat and sexiness, "Daughters of Darkness" would do, and nothing beats "Andy Warhol's Dracula" for totally campy humour.

Just some modern classics (oh, well, except for the relatively new "Cronos", I guess.)

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but we just rented it.

Loved it. Wasn't perfect, but tons of fun. Ending ripped from "Equilibrium", but no worries.

Wish they would have had more money to spend making it and I hope there will be a sequel, but I doubt it happens.

Kate Beckinsale is one seriously beautiful woman.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Talk about resurrecting an old thread! How about 8 months later!!!
    Anyway, is this based on a book, magazine, or just a movie?

LoneStarSpur -

It looks as though they ARE making a sequel.
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040831f.php
    No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

Wow! They are really getting their money's worth of this movie on the HBO channels. It is on all of the time! I really do like the music and sequence, even if the dialogue is strained. Still wondering what the movie is based on, though?.

Well, I do know that the company White Wolf was suing Sony/Screen Gems over "Underworld" being too close to their "Vampire: The Masquerade" and "Werewolf: The Apocalypse" roll playing games. Maybe that was an inspiration.
    No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

at disneyland riding all the rides...weeeeeeeee
    i saw this movie on my birthday of last year and it was awsome. i was on the edge of my seat for most of it. the way they did the lycans was incredible

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast