+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in Translation - 09/12

Lost in Translation - 09/12

Lost In Translation (2003)

Synopsis: Bob Harris and Charlotte are two Americans in Tokyo. Bob is a movie star in town to shoot a whiskey commercial, while Charlotte is a young woman tagging along with her workaholic photographer husband. Unable to sleep, Bob and Charlotte cross paths one night in the luxury hotel bar. This chance meeting soon becomes a surprising friendship. Charlotte and Bob venture through Tokyo, having often hilarious encounters with its citizens, and ultimately discover a new belief in life’s possibilities.

Statistics[]
    Genre(s): Comedy, Drama Rating: MPAA R: for some sexual content Runtime: 102 mins. Theatrical Release: 09/12/2003 (limited)

Cast & Role
    Scarlett Johansson - Charlotte
    Bill Murray - Bob Harris
    Giovanni Ribisi - John
    Anna Faris - Kelly
    Akiko Takeshita - Ms Kawasaki
    Kazuyoshi Minamimagoe - Press Agent
    Kazuko Shibata - Press Agent
    Take- Press Agent

Crew & Credit
    Sofia Coppola - Director & Producer

I'm not sure about this one.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Bill Murray was on Letterman promoting this movie, so I've seen a clip of it. It really does look pretty funny, although a lot of the clip was in Japanese with no subtitles.

All I know is that this film has become the critical darling of everyone who attended the Toronto Internation Film Fest. It has out-hyped "The Human Stain", "Matchstick Men", "The Company", "Dogville" "Elephant"...etc.

The only reason I didn't go see it is because I knew I would be able to catch in theatres soon enough.

It certainly looks like it's worth giving a try.

I saw this Friday night and really, really loved it. It's probably the best movie I've seen all year. It's one of those movies that is funny one minute (I was laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath), then poignant and sad the next. It's definitely a movie for grown-ups - i.e. no fighting, no car chases, no sex. I think Bill Murray may get an Oscar nomination for this, and deserves it. I absolutely adore him.

Beautiful cinemtography, thoughtful acting, a little romance, --
    go see this film.

Oh, and the parts that are in Japanese with no subtitles are the funniest parts. Part of the storyline of the film is about Murray's character working in Japan and not understanding what people are saying to him. It doesn't mock the Japanese in any way, but is kind of representative of how he seems to feel like he doesn't quite understand what most people are saying to him on a daily basis.

Lost in Translation

I loved "Lost in Translation",it is such an amazing film. I thought is a beautiful look at the barriers between cultures and the interaction between people. Bill Murray brings real pathos and humour to this. It is a smart and perceptive about how people interact on a personal level and I thought it portrayed the disorientation of the two main characters flawlessley. The realtionship between Bob and Charlotte remains at the films core, and remains platonic despite the stong sexual undercurrents. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson have great chemsity together. I thought Sophia Coppola did a terrific job directing, this film had alot of mood and visual textures in just about every scene, cinematography was absolutely goregous.
    This movie is a gem.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    It sounds nice from Mollyrose and Sphere's comments. I'll try to catch the movie when it opens here.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I am dying to see this movie because of all the good things I have heard about it.. might have to have a girls night out because I seriously doubt hubby is going to be up for it!!!

LOVED this film...

A masterful exercise in subtlety...

Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson are both extremely endearing... and I loved it how Coppola was able to tell their story without it being too awkward...

Bravo!
    ~M o s a i K~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast