+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Order - 09/05

The Order - 09/05

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: For centuries a secret Order has existed within the Church. Following a series of unexplained murders, renegade priest Father Alex Bernier begins an investigation that hurls him into a maelstrom of unimaginable evil, murder and the knowledge that there is a fate worse than death. Father Bernier's search takes him to The Sin Eater--a key figure in this mysterious and ancient Order. The immortal Sin Eater's role is nothing less than playing God on earth by absolving the unforgiveable of their sins outside the Church, allowing greater evil to go unpunished. Burdened by centuries of evil, the Sin Eater craves the luxury of death. But who will eat his sins and grant eternal peace? Who will carry on his dark tradition and continue the work of the Order? As the young priest uncovers the answers and pursues these paragons of evil, he fights to save his own soul and that of troubled artist Mara, the woman he loves.
    Genre(s):
    Drama
    Romance
    Thriller
    Rating: MPAA R
    Runtime: Not available

Cast & Role

Heath Ledger -- Father Alex Bernier
    Mark Addy -- Father Thomas Garrett
    Shannyn Sossamon -- Mara Sinclair
    Benno Furmann -- Eden
    Alessandra Costanzo -- Eden's Maid
    Seeta Indrani -- Indian Doctor
    Peter Weller -- Driscoll
    Francesco Carnelutti -- Dominic
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think this could either be really good or very bad e.g. could be Stigmata, might be End Of Days.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Benno Furmann. *big sigh*

I can't wait to see it! I've been looking forward to it for ages. Remember when the title was going to be The Sin Eater?

If the title had been left "The Sin Eater", it would be an immediate "no, I'm not watching it!".

I'm on the fence for this once. The previews look good, but I have a feeling the movie will suck.

I have a feeling they realized the name might put some people off. "The Order" does sound a little more socially acceptable, doesn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rottentomatoes.com

Seven years ago, writer/director Brian Helgeland came across the term "Sin Eater" – a person who would take in the sins of a deceased person. The sin eating ritual, Helgeland learned, involved placing salt and bread on the deceased, reciting an incarnation, and then consuming the salt and bread – thereby the sins – into the Sin Eater's soul.

The concept caught Helgeland's attention, and he became fascinated with the implications and ramifications of eating sins. "The Sin Eater originated during medieval times when the Catholic Church was extremely powerful," Helgeland explains. "If you were dying and had been excommunicated and couldn't receive last rites, they would send for a Sin Eater, whom they believed would absolve the sins of that person. He would take the sins right into his soul."...

...Helgeland looked to prominent German actor Benno Fürmann to take on the role of The Sin Eater. The director remembers, "Almost as soon as Benno appeared on screen in ‘The Princess and the Warrior,' which I had the good fortune to watch at just the right time, I knew he was our Sin Eater. There was no question. It is so extremely rare for an actor to fully parallel a writer's imagination of a character. But it was all there in Benno's incredible eyes." Fürmann says of Eden, "When he became a Sin Eater centuries ago, he had the purest of intentions. But Eden's soul and his coffers became bloated by consuming the depravity and riches of the dying, and carnal knowledge of their horrendous behavior. Somewhere through the ages, it all went terribly wrong."
    Go here for the full article: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheO...5368/about.php

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    If the title had been left "The Sin Eater", it would be an immediate "no, I'm not watching it!".

I'm on the fence for this once. The previews look good, but I have a feeling the movie will suck.
    I think it really could go either way.

There is 't a whole lot else to watch so I'll probably go to see this if I get the chance.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Obviously I'm in. I'd pay $15 to watch Heath Ledger read the phone book, so I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I knew you're going to see the movie. Why wouldn't you Miss F!
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I really really wanna see this one!!! It'll probably be a while though...so busy with crap even on the weekends! Tell me how it is!

A co-worker saw it and loved it. She's urging me to go see it this weekend. Maaaaybe....
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast