+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Medallion - 08/22

The Medallion - 08/22

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: An action comedy following the exploits of an indomitable Hong Kong cop named Eddie, who, after a near-fatal accident involving a mysterious medallion, is suddenly transformed into a 'Highbinder'--an immortal warrior with superhuman powers. Eddie enlists the help of fellow agent Nicole to determine the secret of the medallion and face down the evil Highbinders who desperately want it back.
    Genre(s):
    Action
    Comedy
    Thriller
    Rating: MPAA PG-13
    Runtime: 88 mins.

Cast & Role

Jackie Chan -- Eddie Yang
    Lee Evans -- Arthur Watson
    Claire Forlani -- Nicole
    John Rhys-Davies -- Commander Hammerstock-Smyth
    Christy Chung -- Charlotte Watson
    Anthony Wong -- Lester
    Julian Sands -- Snakehead
    "That's Numberwang!"

Nope, not my type of thing at all.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think this could be fun. Jackie Chan is so personable and engaging.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It's kind of odd, although I've always liked Jackie Chan, I just don't have any interest in his movies anymore. They've all kind of blended together to form one great big comical fight scene for me.

If there wasn't much on TV and this came on, I'd probably watch it.

I think Jackie Chan seems like a nice guy, but like Zhora says, I feel as though if you've seen one of his movies you've seen 'em all lately.

Plus, you just know this movie will be chock full of Matrix style effects.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Jackie Chan is such a fun guy to watch, but I do agree that most of his movies seem the same.
    I still don't know if I'll go watch it at the theatre, but I'll definitely catch it on video.

Saw this one with a buddy today.

We had a few laughs, we held our breath a few times, and then--as an old high school buddy of mine put so well--I went home and continued on with my life.

Julian Sands will always be, at worst, the guy from Boxing Helena to me, and, at best, the Warlock. (I had to dig pretty deeply for that one.)

Claire Forlani was nice to look at. I can't remember a single line she uttered other than "For a little guy, you sure eat a lot!"

Jackie Chan seemed bored and listless. Maybe he was just tired since he filmed The Medallion while on leave from doing another film.

The action sequences did not always work. Maybe it was because Sammo Hung, late of Martial Law, choreographed the action whereas Jackie Chan usually does his own choreography for most of his films.

The city of Dublin played itself.

I walked out of the movie thinking that, as a lifetime afficionado of Hong Kong action movies, the puns and pratfalls don't always translate well to an English-speaking cast of actors or to an English-speaking audience.

I'm not being racist. I think that French comedies that do well on the Continent, for example, also translate poorly to American audiences. (The Bird Cage or Jungle 2 Jungle, anyone? Anyone?)

Better luck next time, Jackie. I'd love to see you in a pair-up with Jack Black, for example.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Jackie and Jack Black? That would be cool.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

+ Reply to Thread