+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best Action Movie!

Princess
    To me, the breakdown question is, does the action come from people, or the overriding event in the movie.
    Agreed.... but then, what about Die Hard (esp. #2) : - how come those movies "feels" like action movies? Is it just b/c Bruce Willis, by definition is an "action hero"?

Originally posted by Modesty
    Agreed.... but then, what about Die Hard (esp. #2) : - how come those movies "feels" like action movies? Is it just b/c Bruce Willis, by definition is an "action hero"?
    Excellent point.

It certainly is tough to make the distinctions. I suppose one persons action film is another one's drama.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I agree with those of you who place Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno in the Disaster category. Independance Day still falls under action in my book though. I don't consider alien invasion a disaster. That would be like saying that war movies are disaster films.

Originally posted by Wayner
    I agree with those of you who place Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno in the Disaster category. Independance Day still falls under action in my book though. I don't consider alien invasion a disaster. That would be like saying that war movies are disaster films.
    Well they can be a disaster of a film...did you Windtalkers?
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Princess
    That would be like saying that war movies are disaster films
    ...and....???

Princess
    OK guys, this is probably more than you ever wanted to know, but since we have started to argue about what an "action" movie really is, this is the cathegorization from imdb (in the order they are listed there, if that has any meaning, I don't know):

On the list:
    - Die Hard 1,2,3: action/thriller
    - The Matrix: action/thriller/sci-fi
    - Any Jackie Chan: (just checked a couple, and they were action/comedy & action/comedy/thriller)
    - XMen: action/sci-fi
    - Raiders of the Lost Ark trilogy: 1) action/adventure 2) (temple of doom) fantasy/romance/action/adventure 3) (what’s the name now?)
    - Predator: action/horror/sci-fi/thriller
    - Aliens: sci-fi/action/thriller/horror
    - Terminator 2: Judgement Day: sci-fi/action/thriller
    - Towering Inferno: action/thriller/drama
    - The Poseidon Adventure: adventure/action/thriller/drama
    - Lethal Weapon I: comdedy/crime/action
    - Mad Max: action/sci-fi
    - Armageddon: action/romance/sci-fi/thriller
    - Robocop: comedy/sci-fi/action/crime
    - North by Northwest: thriller
    - The Seven Samurai: action/drama

Been mentioned:
    Independence day: action/sci-fi
    Bullitt: action/crime/mystery
    Windtalkers: action/drama/war
    Gladiator: drama/action
    Goldfinger: action/adventure/comedy
    The French Connection: action/crime/drama/thriller
    The Magnificent Seven (’60): western/adventure

Note that the one that everyone seems to completely agree about - Die Hard - is the ONLY one listed as ACTION/THRILLER. This might explain why we are discussing the other ones, as it depends on what one percieves is the "main cathegory" of several.

Action/Thriller

Maybe our list should start and end with Die Hard. Most of the movies mentioned are action movies to a degree. Though I still think of Poseidon Adventure , and The Towering Inferno as Diaster movies.(Earthquake with Charleton Heston also came out in that time period and I consider it another Diaster movie.) Those kind of movies were very popular in the 1970's. But they do have a lot of action in them. Many Thrillers have lots of action in them. I thought the Matt Damon movie "The Bourne Identity" that came out this past summer was a very good Action/Thriller. Does anyone think that should be on the list?
    Treat me with respect and I'll treat you with respect.

Princess
    Maybe our list should start and end with Die Hard.
    Good point! END OF THREAD!!

Princess
    For me, anything cathegorized as "drama" is out! (I.e. Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure, Seven Samurai). Note also that North by Northwest is not cathegorized as "action" at all... (told you so.... .

Re: Action/Thriller

Originally posted by onebigmoviefan
    [I thought the Matt Damon movie "The Bourne Identity" that came out this past summer was a very good Action/Thriller. Does anyone think that should be on the list?
    The Bourne Identity is definitley an action-packed film. Oh, I totally agree that it should be on the list. I know it's on mine.

+ Reply to Thread