+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best Action Movie!

Princess
    onebigmoviefan! You've find the right place, I see!
    I didn't forget Robocop, I just didn't like it that much - but I see that I'm outnumbered .
    North by Northwest - yep, I like all Hitchcock, but I've never thought about any of them as "action movies" - anyone?
    (It seems like you'll need at least 2 votes (yours + someone elses) to get a movie on the list )
    Bullitt - didn't like.... anyone else?
    Goldfinger - for some reason I never thought about JB movies as action movies, but that's of course completely wrong! However, I'd rather vote for one of the earlier ones - never liked Goldfinger... anyone?

Current list:
    - Die Hard 1,2,3
    - The Matrix
    - Any Jackie Chan
    - XMen
    - Raiders of the Lost Ark trilogy
    - Predator
    - Aliens
    - Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    - Towering Inferno
    - The Poseidon Adventure
    - Lethal Weapon I
    - Mad Max
    - Armageddon
    - Robocop

Originally posted by Modesty
    onebigmoviefan! You've find the right place, I see!
    I didn't forget Robocop, I just didn't like it that much - but I see that I'm outnumbered .
    North by Northwest - yep, I like all Hitchcock, but I've never thought about any of them as "action movies" - anyone?
    (It seems like you'll need at least 2 votes (yours + someone elses) to get a movie on the list )
    Bullitt - didn't like.... anyone else?
    Goldfinger - for some reason I never thought about JB movies as action movies, but that's of course completely wrong! However, I'd rather vote for one of the earlier ones - never liked Goldfinger... anyone?

Current list:
    - Die Hard 1,2,3
    - The Matrix
    - Any Jackie Chan
    - XMen
    - Predator
    - Aliens
    - Towering Inferno
    - The Poseidon Adventure
    - Lethal Weapon I
    - Mad Max
    - Armageddon
    - Robocop
    Geez Modesty, you really shot down my suggestions. Let me explain North by Northwest. It was considered by many film critics to be one of the first movies to have the big action scenes in them.The bi-plane scene where Cary Grant is chased in a cornfield by a so-called crop duster was classic. It eventually crashes into an oil tanker truck. Then there is the great scene on Mt. Rushmore. As far as Goldfinger goes it was the 007 flick that put Mr. Bond on the map. The first two were small films that didn't do much at the box office. Goldfinger had great car chases with all the gadgets and some great fight scenes with Oddjob. That's considered action isn't it? I making these suggestions because I am thinking classic early action films. It all had to start somewhere. North By Northwest is a much better example of an action film than The Poseidon Adventure. The Poseidon Adventure would be considered a "Disaster Film" not an action film. Same with Towering Inferno. My other suggestion, Bullitt has what is considered by many to have the best car chase scene in cinema. Though The French Connection may have had a better one.
    Treat me with respect and I'll treat you with respect.

Bon vivant-it sounds cool Samurai Ranger's Avatar
    I'd definitely consider "North by Northwest" an action film, and a superior one, even though the action is hardly "wall-to-wall." Also, another unoriginal nomination of mine is "Die Hard," of course. But I would be remiss in not mentioning my favorite film of all time, "The Seven Samurai," which could be classified as an action film, although, it's really a cinematic work of art that transcends such a label.

Princess
    OBMF - we just seem to have a bit different opinions . I've actually seen North of Northwest, and I still don't think "action" - but that's of course just me, and luckily you just got a supporter, so I've added it to the list...
    I should have checked on the date of Goldfinger - I tought it was much later.... still don't like it, but I'm sure there are some other supporters around.
    Bullitt - yep, I know it is very critically acclaimed, didn't like it (don't care about car chases), just my opinion .
    Agreed that Towering Inferno (and Poseidon Adventure, which I haven't seen are probably rather "disaster movies" - but ppl here voted for them....

"The Seven Samurai," which could be classified as an action film, although, it's really a cinematic work of art that transcends such a label.
    Agreed... action or not action... that's the question.... .... imdb says action/drama, so let's put it on the list!

Current list:
    - Die Hard 1,2,3
    - The Matrix
    - Any Jackie Chan
    - XMen
    - Predator
    - Aliens
    - Towering Inferno
    - The Poseidon Adventure
    - Lethal Weapon I
    - Mad Max
    - Armageddon
    - Robocop
    - North by Northwest
    - The Seven Samurai

PS: Just to clarify - I'm by no means "keeper" of this forum or this list, anyone is free to compile the list at anytime .
    Last edited by Modesty; 11-06-2002 at 06:02 AM.

American remake

I saw the Seven Samuri in a film class in college. Gret flick and it is a great action film. Do we dare nominate it's American remake The Magnificent Seven?
    Treat me with respect and I'll treat you with respect.

You know, I haven't seen The Seven Samurai, but I was aware it was the genesis for The Magnificent Seven, which I loved. Based on Samurai and 1BigFan's recommendations, I'm going to have to watch the original!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Princess
    Don't let the kids watch it, Paulie... it's VERY bloody....

No worries there, Modesty. The kids have no interest in big people movies yet.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    SR, good call! It's been a long time since I saw it, but I loved The Seven Samurai. I actually saw it available on dvd last week, but the $50 price-tag scared me off.

I can't really comment on North By Northwest, OBMF, as I haven't seen it since I was a kid.

Bullitt has a killer chase in it, but I think if we start throwing out movies with car chases, then we'd have to include The French Connection.

I think we should stick with the criteria I suggested earlier - BIG explosions! (Kidding of course, who am I to set the limits on this?)

Originally posted by Modesty
    Agreed that Towering Inferno (and Poseidon Adventure, which I haven't seen are probably rather "disaster movies" - but ppl here voted for them....
    I think this is a good point.

Disaster movies aren't really action movies in my exceptionally humble opinion.

To me, the breakdown question is, does the action come from people, or the overriding event in the movie.

That's why Independance Day isn't an action movie to me, even though there is much action occuring in it.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread