+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Movie Trailers - not what you expected!

It's sensei time! Masai & Pygmie's Avatar

Movie Trailers - not what you expected!

We've all done this - watched a movie trailer and said, "I'm definitely gonna see that one!" And when you are halfway (or sometimes within 10 minutes) through the movie, realized that this is not what the trailer was trying to sell...

Don't get me wrong - sometimes the movies turn out better that what the trailer was trying to hook you into. For example, last week I watched the "Banger Sisters" (from the trailer, it was not on my wish list to see anytime soon - oldie Goldie with a boob job and Susan Sarandon relivin' their groupie heydays). Well it was on the satellite line up and not much else on - it turned out to be a really smart movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

What are some examples of movie trailers that either sold you the goods or were actually diamonds in the rough?
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." -- Henry David Thoreau

The trailer for Alien 3 was exciting and suggested a movie worth watching. Ha.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Ali

ECCCCH

Moonlight Mile.

Now, I haven't yet seen this movie. I missed it in the theatres and I get the movie channels, so I usually wait for them to come out on that. I have no idea if it was any good.

However, I saw the trailers several times and each time, (when I was in the theater, not on TV) I was so caught up and in tears. I love Susan Sarandon, Dustin Hoffman and Jake Gyllenhall (or however you spell his name) just looked so good.

I'll have to rent it.

Dude, Where's my Car?

From the trailer I thought this was a frat boy movie. But a friend of mine brought it over once and it was actually pretty good. It's reminded me of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. Who woulda thunk it?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fan
    Three Kings. The trailers and commercial tried to market it as an offbeat comedy. It turned out to have a lot more substance and style. One of my personal favorites from that year.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

Pirates of the Caribbean
    I knew I'd love it either way (If nothing else I could watch Orlando Bloom for 2 and a half hours ), but the trailers promoted it as an adventure film. It was definitly an adventure film, but I had no idea it was a comedy until a few days before I saw it. I was just really suprised, as were a few of my friends. Anyway I loved the comedy aspect of it and it's definitly the best movie I've seen in a while (with the exception of LOTR).

Call me stupid--and maybe I simply wasn't paying close enough attention to the trailers--but I didn't think The Pianist would be about the Holocaust. (Which is, of course, not unlike saying I didn't think there would be so much shootin' in Saving Private Ryan.)

This isn't leading up to my saying that The Pianist was a bad film. On the contrary, it's one of the most unforgettable films I've seen in a long, long time. It's also one of the most important films I've seen in a long, long time.

I think it should be required viewing for every American student before leaving high school, and I have never said that about any film.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I thought Jackass was an actual movie about these guys and the crazy things they do. I didn't know it was just going to be the tv show only longer.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

+ Reply to Thread