+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST offbeat film of all time?

Princess
    Another way offbeat film (my qualifier for "best movie" is one I watched at least 10 years ago and still have positive memories of, so my picks will necessarily be older movies ), is "Cars" aka "The Cars That Ate Paris" aka "Cars That Eat Pepole" from 1974 by Peter Weir.
    Plot outline (from imdb):
    "A small town in rural Australia (Paris) makes its living by causing car accidents and salvaging any valuables from the wrecks. Into this town come brothers Arthur and George. George is killed when the Parisians cause their car to crash, but Arthur survives and is brought into the community as an orderly at the hospital. But Paris is not problem free. Not only do the Parisians have to be careful of outsiders (such as insurance investigators), but they also have to cope with the young people of the town who are dissatisfied with the status quo. "
    It is actually a pretty scary movie...

How about that one with Jack Death as the hero? What was it called? Trancers, I think. Yeah, Trancers! "Dry hair is for squids." I love that line!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I would think that almost any of John Waters' earlier films would definitely qualify as "offbeat"...

Princess
    Paulie - which one? I checked at www.us.imdb.com (excellent for searching movies, btw), and they list 6 of them - between 1985 and 2002 (and I had never even heard about it before!!)
    I sounds like I would like it though: "Dry hair is for squids."

Princess
    Sorry, I missed you Lobeck, I was searching....
    Which John Waters? (imdb list 5 different people)

It's a series, Modesty. The first one was in 1985. Starred Tim Thomerson, who is excellent in the lead role. Here's the tag line. It's hysterical:

"Jack Deth is back... and he's never even been here before!"

So I guess there's no "a" in "Jack Deth". Never knew that.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Princess
    I understood that it is a series ("do you think I'm a f**in idiot?? ), I was just wondering which one the squid-quote came from?
    "Jack Deth is back... and he's never even been here before!"
    I noticed
    I need to see if I can find them - now that I know what to look for! I like this thread!!

Oh, geez, Modesty! No, I don't think you're an idiot. I'm just a dumbass, that's all. I was in a hurry.

The quote was from the original. I've only seen the original and the first sequel. I didn't know they had so many. I believe Helen Hunt is in at least the first two of 'em.

Cool plot, too. A real offbeat gem!

Princess
    - I didn't think you thought I was, I was just happy that I got an opportunity to quote Robb!
    Thanks for the tip on this one - I'm looking forward! I love that genre!

Definitely offbeat that I liked is Eating Raoul.

Not sure if they are offbeat or just cheesy but I love Hairspray and Cry Baby.

+ Reply to Thread