+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST offbeat film of all time?

PKeeper
    Never saw Moulin Rouge and probably never will; it just does not look like it would be worth what is become more and more precious everyday, my time.

I think that 'A Clock Work Orange" belongs here. Very offbeat, very disturbing. I saw it in the mid seventies on cable soon after its release. I cannot watch Malcolm McDowell in anything noiw without thniking of him 'Singing in the Rain'.

agentcarver
    Originally posted by Paulie

Brazil was pretty out there, as was Baron Munchausen (same director). And I enjoyed both of those flicks, especially Brazil. If that's offbeat, I'll pick it.

I LOVED the music from Brazil, actually... The film was nice, too...

So, the only thing that's changed is that you're not a teen, Paulie?
    Yeah, pretty much.

And, Agent, I have the theme song from Brazil running through my head right now. Doo doo doo. Doo da dit da doo. Doo doo doo. (Totally useless if you don't know the song! )
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    One of the things I'm noticing here is that folks either love or hate these off-beat films, and we fall on both sides over the same flick. Perhaps one of the characteristics of an off-beat film is that they polarize those of us that see them. While I loved Being John M, my wife hated it. While Moulin Rouge was not what I expected, I really, really liked it. Again, Mrs. Wayner hated it.

As for A Clockwork Orange, my dad still says "Eggie Weggies" on occassion.

Originally posted by John
    So, the only thing that's changed is that you're not a teen, Paulie?

I watched Moulin Rouge the other day...Well, about half of it, until my wife made me turn it. I actually thought it wasn't half bad. Nothing I'd go see in a theater, but I applaud the bold style. Except that I had to listen to a couple of terrible versions of "Your Song"
    John...We have the DVD but haven't watched it in a while...so, you didn't make it to the theater owner singing "Like A Virgin", did you?

Nope, I missed that. We turned it off right after I endured Gary Oldman singing "Your Song" (after 2 others had already done it).

Princess
    Oh man! I'm going to have to think about this one. I'm into a lot of unusual movies, so offbeat for me might translate to "freakin' weird" for you guys, (especially if "Clue" is considered offbeat).
    I am with you here Zhora
    One of the best off beat films that can think of right now is "Greed" - a silent from 1924, by Erich von Stroheim. I think it was pretty off beat even then... (Anyone interested in this classic movie can read about it here: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/B...456/greed2.htm)

Thought you meant "Greedy" at first, Modesty, which I thought was a very funny - and, yeah, kinda offbeat - flick.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Princess
    OK - then add Greedy to the "list"! (Never heard about it..., but then again, I don't always know the original titles...)

Originally posted by John
    Nope, I missed that. We turned it off right after I endured Gary Oldman singing "Your Song" (after 2 others had already done it).
    Not to pick nits or anything, but you mean Ewan MacGregor, right? (or is it McGregor?)

+ Reply to Thread